GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have PPF and windows tinted, I've been driving it a little, only 700+ miles so far, and I already have 2 decent rock chips in the windshield. This seems like one of those vehicles (that almost verticle piece of glass) that is just going to catch rocks.

Has anyone else experienced this so far?
Has anyone used any of the exterior glass protectant films (exoshield, ultrafit, clearplex, dynoflex, etc), and do they work in at least reducing the more minor impacts from becoming cracks?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I have PPF on some of the more vulnerable spots of the truck, but that windshield just seems like it will be a pain point eventually. My installer (who has probably done 2 dozen cars for me over the years) didn't seem to have a lot of confidence in the windshield films longterm--especially if you use the wipers a lot. I don't know how often you'd have to peel and replace.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I noticed after moving to Arizona is that while we may not get a lot of rain here in the valley, when you do get some rain, your wipers have dry rotted because you used them about 12 months ago, and the 115-degree heat has baked them into some kind of solid, lol.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
758 Posts
Now that I have PPF and windows tinted, I've been driving it a little, only 700+ miles so far, and I already have 2 decent rock chips in the windshield. This seems like one of those vehicles (that almost verticle piece of glass) that is just going to catch rocks.

Has anyone used any of the exterior glass protectant films (exoshield, ultrafit, clearplex, dynoflex, etc), and do they work in at least reducing the more minor impacts from becoming cracks?
Get that rock chip sealed. My windshield cracked real bad after hitting a rainstorm in a cold front. Didn't even know it had a rock chip before the crack happened, but it was definitely there.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
587 Posts
Arizona is just awful for chips and cracks, due to all the construction trucks dropping gravel and pebbles. I have a RainX kit for sealing the chips, it works pretty well.

Besides that, I have had a screw driver and a pair of pliers puncture tires before, in addition to many nails and screws.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Arizona is just awful for chips and cracks, due to all the construction trucks dropping gravel and pebbles. I have a RainX kit for sealing the chips, it works pretty well.

Besides that, I have had a screw driver and a pair of pliers puncture tires before, in addition to many nails and screws.
Yeah same here in Central TX with all the booming construction as well as rock quarries we provide from or cement factories out here. Prob worse in all the states that are growing so quick versus shrinking blue states.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah same here in Central TX with all the booming construction as well as rock quarries we provide from or cement factories out here. Prob worse in all the states that are growing so quick versus shrinking blue states.
Haha, yeah, no bad roads here in Michigan :cautious:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive been driving mine non stop every day. I assume its gunna have chips. I dont think I am going to wash this car. It always looks clean but when you go up close its getting pretty filthy. No PPF or plastic coverings anywhere on this. I could care less about getting chips on it. Its a truck, enjoy your toy, dont worry about it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ive been driving mine non stop every day. I assume its gunna have chips. I dont think I am going to wash this car. It always looks clean but when you go up close its getting pretty filthy. No PPF or plastic coverings anywhere on this. I could care less about getting chips on it. Its a truck, enjoy your toy, dont worry about it.
I didn't have to try to get mine very dirty. Of course dirt roads at the start of freeze/thaw season tend to be pretty awful.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Truck

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I have PPF on some of the more vulnerable spots of the truck, but that windshield just seems like it will be a pain point eventually. My installer (who has probably done 2 dozen cars for me over the years) didn't seem to have a lot of confidence in the windshield films longterm--especially if you use the wipers a lot. I don't know how often you'd have to peel and replace.
That's what I've heard too. I still plan on installing some sort of film over the windshield. I am treating it kind of like a glass protector on your phone. worth the sacrificial layer and having to replace it once every year or so to keep your windshield looking brand new. My detailer is saying it will only be a few hundred bucks which if only once every year or so, doesn't sound too bad!

·
Registered
C7 Corvette, H3X Hummer
108 Posts

I have replaced two on my H3 for cracks from rocks. Upright windshields are magnets for rocks and other objects. Goes with the territory. At least it’s covered by insurance companies. Florida law.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used the Rain-X 600001 Windshield Repair Kit yesterday and just have to say that I couldn't be happier, it did a pretty good job of filling in the two spots, including one that has legs on it already. :) Basically, I wouldn't mind not replacing the glass every month, so maybe this for now, then on replacement add some protective film right away.

·
Registered
2022 Hummer EV Edition 1; 2007 Maserati QP Sport GT
207 Posts
Does anyone have the windshield dimensions? I am calling a few places to get a quote for windshield protective film.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had Exoshield done on the windshield ($600) as well as Xpel XR+ ceramic tint done on the front two windows ($250). PPF this week then we can do some road trips.

The wipers are a real PITA to remove, special removal tool required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts