GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Just throw on whatever accessories they request and off it goes I guess. Makes sense
I know they are batch building the 1st Editions, so they will not be assigned to an order until after they are built, hence only a couple tire and wheel choices, and 1 paint color, that greatly simplifies the batching process. Likely they will build the first bunch with the standard wheel tire combo's.

The one concern I have for deliveries is software. Software can be tricky and GM won't deliver if there are too many bugs.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Brand new software never used anywhere else if I’m correct? That part could be interesting
Yes, pretty much... It runs on Android, so the OS is not new, but lots of features that are HummerEV exclusive on the displays That takes a lot of programming, and debugging.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
234 Posts
That is a high charge rate that high in the battery capacity. Super impressive, but I will not rule out a bug at this point. C rate is inline with E-Tron which is the fastest charging car at high charge levels. Possibly this is the final software and the other hummerEV's spotted charging have beta software? If so impressive at high levels, but....

Still seems a bit weak overall with a 200 kWh battery, 102 kWh added in 47 minutes? Remember the charger number is not what actually makes it to the battery, that is the amount outputted by the charger, there is some loss in translation so maybe added 95kWh to the battery. This could be though 200 miles added in 47 minutes? not terrible, not great... I think the Rivian will beat that.

I think on all this charging stuff we have to wait for independent 0-100% tests for Rivian, Hummer, and Lucid, to really learn anything, as Mach E was a fast charging car before release, then we found out it is atrocious in the real world.
This was one of the early unfinished trucks. The SoC and kWh added seem to indicate it was not a full 200kWh battery. I saw one photo of a Rivian charging at 145kW at 50% SoC.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
This was one of the early unfinished trucks. The SoC and kWh added seem to indicate it was not a full 200kWh battery. I saw one photo of a Rivian charging at 145kW at 50% SoC.
Rivian is 50% more efficient, so miles added per minute of charging is the metric that matters, like the magic of Tesla. Soon to be blown away by Lucid, we hear.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
234 Posts
Rivian is 50% more efficient, so miles added per minute of charging is the metric that matters, like the magic of Tesla. Soon to be blown away by Lucid, we hear.
I will make an engineering judgement here about this particular truck. It appears to me that this truck only had the 20 module battery (300mile/165kWh pack), that this based on 99kWh added for 60% of the SoC. It may also be that it did not have the 800V charging enabled. The charge rate appears to be flat from 30% to 90% SoC, which would be the case for charging at 400V. I am making a guess that for the early prototypes GM was limited by how many battery modules they had available for all the prototypes and that they may not have implemented the full 800V charging, which requires extra switching.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I will make an engineering judgement here about this particular truck. It appears to me that this truck only had the 20 module battery (300mile/165kWh pack), that this based on 99kWh added for 60% of the SoC. It may also be that it did not have the 800V charging enabled. The charge rate appears to be flat from 30% to 90% SoC, which would be the case for charging at 400V. I am making a guess that for the early prototypes GM was limited by how many battery modules they had available for all the prototypes and that they may not have implemented the full 800V charging, which requires extra switching.
Seems like a solid analysis. There could also be some vehicle calibration issues with the BMS, maybe the BMS it telling the charger it is at 100%, when the actually battery is only at 80%. All of the OEM's calibrate this a little different, this might be a testing calibration? In it interesting to access the actual BMS data when charging with scan my Tesla, leaf spy or others. .

61 - 67 of 67 Posts