GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Plus the Hummer’s too wide to fit on the gulley portion of the trail they took the Rivian up (if my Raptor/TRX experience is any indicator). Speaking of which, one of the biggest questions to me is how they make 9k lbs handle well, on- or off-road, given that weight is the biggest detractor in the TRX (6,700 lbs) vs. Raptor 5,800 lbs) debate. Obviously, those two are very different from the Hummer other than width.
Ya, I wonder the same things... I think HummerEV handling will fall short of Rivian, due to mass and suspension setup, Rivian built their own custom McLaren style (hydraulic leveled air) suspension system, which is really state of the art for a truck. No other truck maker has done anything like this. HummerEV will win on cool factor, features (removable top, and 4 wheel steer), but objectively it's hard to justify the HummerEV price over the Rivian with the information we have today.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Plus the Hummer’s too wide to fit on the gulley portion of the trail they took the Rivian up (if my Raptor/TRX experience is any indicator). Speaking of which, one of the biggest questions to me is how they make 9k lbs handle well, on- or off-road, given that weight is the biggest detractor in the TRX (6,700 lbs) vs. Raptor 5,800 lbs) debate. Obviously, those two are very different from the Hummer other than width.
That is one of the negatives of the TRX. Not sure if it’s the weight or the shocks, maybe Hummers air suspension will be better, but the TRX isn’t the greatest for winding roads. I’ll get the hummer no matter what just because I’ve always been a Hummer fan since a kid so this is more of a nostalgic thing for me to get one, but I really hope I can drive it around the country here in Indiana comfortably. Not a lot of highway driving around here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is one of the negatives of the TRX. Not sure if it’s the weight or the shocks, maybe Hummers air suspension will be better, but the TRX isn’t the greatest for winding roads. I’ll get the hummer no matter what just because I’ve always been a Hummer fan since a kid so this is more of a nostalgic thing for me to get one, but I really hope I can drive it around the country here in Indiana comfortably. Not a lot of highway driving around here.
Supposedly adding a sway bar really helps with the TRX rear end, for what it’s worth. https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/first-trx-with-a-rear-swaybar-handles-amazing.2794/page-21

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the info, I’m not going to mess with it much since I plan on trading it once my 3X Hummer is ready. It’s a ton of fun to drive, not fun to fill up, so it will be nice to have a big vehicle that I can just charge as needed instead of filling up for $100+ every 300 miles

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh, I think the Hummer is going to drive nice, I mean GM knows what they are doing setting a car up, and it has adaptive dampers, so it should be great, but freeway onramp corners might be more fun in the Rivian, as that 9K lbs of the HummerEv is a lot for the air suspension and active dampers to keep flat. Same under hard acceleration, and deceleration, the Rivian stays fairly flat, where as the video I have seen the HummerEV has a hobby horse tendency.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
234 Posts
Ya, I wonder the same things... I think HummerEV handling will fall short of Rivian, due to mass and suspension setup, Rivian built their own custom McLaren style (hydraulic leveled air) suspension system, which is really state of the art for a truck. No other truck maker has done anything like this. HummerEV will win on cool factor, features (removable top, and 4 wheel steer), but objectively it's hard to justify the HummerEV price over the Rivian with the information we have today.
I think there are some other features the Hummer has over the Rivian; bigger bed, better frunk with low loading, multipro tailgate and underbody cameras. The gear tunnel on the Rivian is cool, and I think it will be a good truck. The Rivian roll-out as far as production and setting up service centers, has not been so good. Even though production has been supply constrained due to covid, they had the money to invest in purchasing and setting up more of the service centers during that time. I can tell you this, construction never slowed down at all in Phoenix over the last two years, whether it be homes or commercial.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think there are some other features the Hummer has over the Rivian; bigger bed, better frunk with low loading, multipro tailgate and underbody cameras. The gear tunnel on the Rivian is cool, and I think it will be a good truck. The Rivian roll-out as far as production and setting up service centers, has not been so good. Even though production has been supply constrained due to covid, they had the money to invest in purchasing and setting up more of the service centers during that time. I can tell you this, construction never slowed down at all in Phoenix over the last two years, whether it be homes or commercial.
Certainly, The HummerEV costs 50% more than the Rivian, so it should do many things better. I think the Hummer Software suite should be amazing, if GM executes it well which is always a question. BTW, get ready for subscriptions for SuperCruise, I hear its $30 a month after 3 years. $360 a year to use your addaptive cruise control... hmmm... What else will GM ding us for? Crab Mode have a subscription fee? Mercedes is doing that on the new S class..

As for your assumption about store buildout timing, for Rivian being a startup, they are only going to build out their strongest markets initially, just like Tesla did. Building out during a time of lumber and materials shortages is not smart for a startup as it increases your cost basis of the stores dramatically. Lumber is down 65% now from 6 months ago, now is a much better time to build than it was, and likely to get even better as we get into winter. Rivian, should wait for a financial pullback to buildout secondary market stores, or set up temporary delivery centers until there is a recession, when they can build out their stores much cheaper. I do this in my business, when things are hot I am a seller, I am a buyer when things cool down. My best years of RE investment in my career were 2010-2011, people were practically giving me properties.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hummer is also bigger in the passenger area. It is big enough for five adults to ride comfortably. The Rivian isn’t. Some need that like me, some don’t.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hummer is also bigger in the passenger area. It is big enough for five adults to ride comfortably. The Rivian isn’t. Some need that like me, some don’t.
That is a good point too, Hummer EV is much wider than the Rivian, so therefore harder to park in parking lots, and garages. Wont fit through 8' wide garage doors (most common size single garage door in the USA), and tight through a 9' garage door. Better shop at Costco (wide parking spots) over Walmart.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not sure if I’d use SuperCruise or Crab Walk enough to pay for a subscription. Will be interesting to see for sure how long crab walk would be free and what it’s cost would be going forward

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not sure if I’d use SuperCruise or Crab Walk enough to pay for a subscription. Will be interesting to see for sure how long crab walk would be free and what it’s cost would be going forward
Ya, GM is building massive hype around their ability to generate revenue after the sale, I am as curious as anyone how this will work. And will the additional subscriptions add value to our life.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is a good point too, Hummer EV is much wider than the Rivian, so therefore harder to park in parking lots, and garages. Wont fit through 8' wide garage doors (most common size single garage door in the USA), and tight through a 9' garage door. Better shop at Costco (wide parking spots) over Walmart.
One of my garage doors is for two cars so it’s plenty wide. Also, I have disabled veteran plates that keep me from worrying about standard parking space width😀

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wider for sure but they didn’t give it much additional leg room (Rivian is 36.6 or 38.1 depending on what you read to Hummer’s 38.9 and F150 at 43.6). Much closer to a midsize than a full-size.

The Rivian bed also has the built-in power tonneau which stores in the bed wall, whereas the Hummer appears to have an off the shelf style power tonneau (available), which does suck up available bed space. And of course payload and towing TBD.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I’ve been so pumped about seeing how it rides and what people think of it that I forgot we haven’t even gotten tow rating yet. Wonder if we will finally get all the details tomorrow

·
Registered
113 Posts
4 wheel steer should help with getting into the spaces.... But opening the doors might be a whole different thing.... One of the areas where we live has a shopping area with several restaurants and their whole parking lot is lined so small that even small cars have a hard time parking between the lines and often people have to double park... The real problem is that all the restaurants are popular and on a Friday or Saturday night it's hard to get a spot... I was thinking that we probably wouldn't be able to take the Hummer there... 😒

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wider for sure but they didn’t give it much additional leg room (Rivian is 36.6 or 38.1 depending on what you read to Hummer’s 38.9 and F150 at 43.6). Much closer to a midsize than a full-size.

The Rivian bed also has the built-in power tonneau which stores in the bed wall, whereas the Hummer appears to have an off the shelf style power tonneau (available), which does suck up available bed space. And of course payload and towing TBD.
My four door Jeep has two inches more rear hip room than the Rivian and my adult sized teens are cramped back there (with the doors on). The Hummer provides six more inches of rear seat hip room than the Rivian and that is where it matters. Leg room is adequate. I had a 2019 Raptor (with a standard four door F-150 cab) and it had wasted leg room in the back seat in my opinion. Personally, I would have rather had a shorter wheelbase, which the Hummer has.

I don’t like the power tonneau cover because of the lost bed space. I will probably wait for aftermarket to make a solid trifold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My four door Jeep has two inches more rear hip room than the Rivian and my adult sized teens are cramped back there (with the doors on). The Hummer provides six more inches of rear seat hip room than the Rivian and that is where it matters. Leg room is adequate. I had a 2019 Raptor (with a standard four door F-150 cab) and it had wasted leg room in the back seat in my opinion. Personally, I would have rather had a shorter wheelbase, which the Hummer has.

I don’t like the power tonneau cover because of the lost bed space. I will probably wait for aftermarket to make a solid trifold.
I’m a bit concerned about the aftermarket support for this model in the first year at least. Having had a TRX since March, it has surprisingly little aftermarket support (other than parts that are interchangeable with other RAM 1500s), so may be waiting a long time for things like tonnneaus. A shell on the back would also make it possible for one to store a full size spare and have covered storage, but who knows when/whether one will be made available.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
234 Posts
Certainly, The HummerEV costs 50% more than the Rivian, so it should do many things better. I think the Hummer Software suite should be amazing, if GM executes it well which is always a question. BTW, get ready for subscriptions for SuperCruise, I hear its $30 a month after 3 years. $360 a year to use your addaptive cruise control... hmmm... What else will GM ding us for? Crab Mode have a subscription fee? Mercedes is doing that on the new S class..

As for your assumption about store buildout timing, for Rivian being a startup, they are only going to build out their strongest markets initially, just like Tesla did. Building out during a time of lumber and materials shortages is not smart for a startup as it increases your cost basis of the stores dramatically. Lumber is down 65% now from 6 months ago, now is a much better time to build than it was, and likely to get even better as we get into winter. Rivian, should wait for a financial pullback to buildout secondary market stores, or set up temporary delivery centers until there is a recession, when they can build out their stores much cheaper. I do this in my business, when things are hot I am a seller, I am a buyer when things cool down. My best years of RE investment in my career were 2010-2011, people were practically giving me properties.
All of Rivians service centers are remodels of existing buildings, no new construction. I had my R1T up to $95k, without removable roof, so not 50% cost difference.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’m a bit concerned about the aftermarket support for this model in the first year at least. Having had a TRX since March, it has surprisingly little aftermarket support (other than parts that are interchangeable with other RAM 1500s), so may be waiting a long time for things like tonnneaus. A shell on the back would also make it possible for one to store a full size spare and have covered storage, but who knows when/whether one will be made available.
I agree with limited aftermarket for awhile. I figure the soft tonneau will due for awhile. I would also love to have a removable shell I could use occasionally. On top of what you have already mentioned, it would simplify taking the dogs along on a family trip.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts