GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the vehicle class HummerEV resides in Vehicle Fuel Economy ratings are not required, how will that play out for the HummerEv?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It may be in GMs best interest to get one if the range is good. I do understand your point based GVW it may not require one.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be in GMs best interest to get one if the range is good. I do understand your point based GVW it may not require one.
Ya, I am sure GM is going give us something based on EPA parameters, but not sure the EPA will certify it?

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
202 Posts
I am wondering if they will offer a 2WD mode for the highway. Rivian has a mode that uses just front motors for cruising efficiency and the Mach E turns off the front motors above 22mph, unless accelerating. Not sure if Tesla does anything like that.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am wondering if they will offer a 2WD mode for the highway. Rivian has a mode that uses just front motors for cruising efficiency and the Mach E turns off the front motors above 22mph, unless accelerating. Not sure if Tesla does anything like that.
The HummerEV cannot do a 2WD mode because the drive units do not have a clutching action (ala Taycan), and permanent magnet motors always have to be powered if they are rotating AFAIK, this is exactly why Tesla uses permanent magnets in the rear drive units and induction motors in the front of all their non PLAID cars.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
202 Posts
The HummerEV cannot do a 2WD mode because the drive units do not have a clutching action (ala Taycan), and permanent magnet motors always have to be powered if they are rotating AFAIK, this is exactly why Tesla uses permanent magnets in the rear drive units and induction motors in the front of all their non PLAID cars.
I agree they always have to be powered, but can still be outputting zero torque, or very close to it. Enough to overcome friction and Back EMF (electromagnetic force).

Have you taken an EV through a carwash? When you put it in neutral it has zero torque applied to the wheels. Same thing as if you are driving down the road and put it into neutral, it simply coasts, no regen, just tire friction slowing the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree they always have to be powered, but can still be outputting zero torque, or very close to it. Enough to overcome friction and Back EMF (electromagnetic force).

Have you taken an EV through a carwash? When you put it in neutral it has zero torque applied to the wheels. Same thing as if you are driving down the road and put it into neutral, it simply coasts, no regen, just tire friction slowing the vehicle.
I have not been through a car wash, I like to detail my own cars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts