GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
There are numerous other electric trucks in the pipeline not just Rivian. I chose the Hummer because it’s styling is cooler than anything else on the market. Never even considered a Rivian they are ugly. GM definitely takes the award for the best EV truck designs so far based on the Hummer and Silverado.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are numerous other electric trucks in the pipeline not just Rivian. I chose the Hummer because it’s styling is cooler than anything else on the market.
Never even considered a Rivian they are ugly. GM definitely takes the award for the best EV truck designs so far based on the Hummer and Silverado.
Yea Baby!!!!!
I totally Agree The Hummer Is Awesome, And I haven't seen one in person yet!!!!
But I have seen a Rivian :(

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
585 Posts
I had reservations for both, but dropped my Rivian reservation last year. There are several features the Hummer has that the Rivian does not, and that solidified my decision:
  • Removable roof
  • 800V charging
  • Rock sliders
  • 4 wheel steer and to a lesser extent crab walk
  • Multipro tailgate
  • Better frunk access and size

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
756 Posts
Better frunk access and size
The Hummer's frunk is so long that I couldn't actually reach stuff that is against the bulkhead wall without my belt rubbing up against the paint on the front bumper. It's great to have the space, but honestly I found it less functional. Having a bin in the Rivian, I can put stuff in it that doesn't tumble out when I open it because it shifted when driving.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good replies and info. I know other EVs are coming but it seems these two are most commonly reviewed, compared and cross shopped. The Ford lighting is another. I think the rear of the Rivian and interior are pretty sharp. The seats look very supportive as well. I have no idea how either one of them actually feel. The front is probably the most controversial. My youngest loves it because it has an emoji like face.

These are just my observations but not something that’s going to prevent me from buying it. Just some thoughts…

Hummer cons:
1.lack of spare tire under truck. Not end of world as you can buy a swing out. Putting it in the bed is not ideal as it takes up a lot of bed space and you can’t add a bed cover. Plus it ruins the rear view. Also, lifting a 35” in/out of the bed will be a serious chore or impossible for many people.I lift pretty heavy weight and I had one heck of a time lifting my buddies 35” from the ground and into the truck bed. Most people can’t do it. Heck, good luck even lifting onto a swing out. You’re looking at 110lbs for the tire/wheel combo. Much easier when it’s a dumbbell but not when it’s large shape. The funny part is dropping it very slowly off the bed to the ground and not having it roll down the road if you’re alone. Lol! FYI/don’t count on someone being there to help you because they may not be and you need to make sure you’re well prepared to be on your own.

2.Vehicle weight. This will be very noticeable if anyone takes it off-road going through mud or snow. Weight is your enemy. If you get stuck in a snow bank or high centered, only HD trucks or Land Cruiser can pull you out and even the LC will struggle getting you free as you’re not just pulling out 9,000lbs, but the stress of pulling force to release a stuck vehicle.

3. The weight of vehicle will eat through those max traction wrangler tires in 20k miles. This is just my guess and could be totally wrong but I’ve owned heavy trucks and A/T tires just don’t last because of the soft rubber. I’ll be curious to see how they do and maybe more manufacturers will come out with a more road friendly compound like a Defender LTX so we aren’t just replacing tires every 20k

Pros: it’s just awesome and can’t wait to get mine!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Hummer's frunk is so long that I couldn't actually reach stuff that is against the bulkhead wall without my belt rubbing up against the paint on the front bumper. It's great to have the space, but honestly I found it less functional. Having a bin in the Rivian, I can put stuff in it that doesn't tumble out when I open it because it shifted when driving.
This is a great observation. I didn’t take that into account. I thought the Hummer had a lip to prevent stuff from rolling out when opening. Somebody needs to design a easy slip in gate to prevent this. The Rivian frunk is pretty useful as some people have literally used it as an icebox since it has a drain plug. Also, it has a really nice built in air compressor. Something I’d want to install on the Hummer…ARB twin compressor if possible

·
Registered
33 Posts

3. The weight of vehicle will eat through those max traction wrangler tires in 20k miles. This is just my guess and could be totally wrong but I’ve owned heavy trucks and A/T tires just don’t last because of the soft rubber. I’ll be curious to see how they do and maybe more manufacturers will come out with a more road friendly compound like a Defender LTX so we aren’t just replacing tires every 20k

Pros: it’s just awesome and can’t wait to get mine!
I should be fine. None of the tires on my high HP (500+) cars lasted that long anyway.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is a great observation. I didn’t take that into account. I thought the Hummer had a lip to prevent stuff from rolling out when opening. Somebody needs to design a easy slip in gate to prevent this. The Rivian frunk is pretty useful as some people have literally used it as an icebox since it has a drain plug. Also, it has a really nice built in air compressor. Something I’d want to install on the Hummer…ARB twin compressor if possible
GMC sells a frunk net:
Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having now gone off roading with a couple Rivians, I'm even more happy I went with the Hummer. Not that I plan to take it anywhere super crazy, but I want to be ABLE to. It is BY FAR the most capable off road truck out the gate right now. The approach/departure angles, factory sliders, and under body cameras are just sweet... and then of course, there's the coveted feature-- four wheel steer. After driving a Rivian, the biggest complaint I had was the lack of turning radius. It felt like trying to turn a boat with a very long wheel base. The hummer will not have that issue!

I drive quite a bit for my work, putting just over 40k miles on my truck in just under 2 years. I'm sick of paying for gas and wanted something big and bad ass that didn't make me want to cry every week at the pump.

Not sure if anyone in this group ever played the video game, Halo, either; but there's a vehicle in those games (the warthog) that has four wheel steer and the hummer reminds me of it a ton!

·
Registered
274 Posts
GMC has the net accessory that goes on the front of the eTrunk and would keep stuff in it, cheap but workable solution also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having now gone off roading with a couple Rivians, I'm even more happy I went with the Hummer. Not that I plan to take it anywhere super crazy, but I want to be ABLE to. It is BY FAR the most capable off road truck out the gate right now. The approach/departure angles, factory sliders, and under body cameras are just sweet... and then of course, there's the coveted feature-- four wheel steer. After driving a Rivian, the biggest complaint I had was the lack of turning radius. It felt like trying to turn a boat with a very long wheel base. The hummer will not have that issue!

I drive quite a bit for my work, putting just over 40k miles on my truck in just under 2 years. I'm sick of paying for gas and wanted something big and bad ass that didn't make me want to cry every week at the pump.

Not sure if anyone in this group ever played the video game, Halo, either; but there's a vehicle in those games (the warthog) that has four wheel steer and the hummer reminds me of it a ton!
Good reporting back about Rivian. I am surprised it drives so big out on the dirt. Now that you’ve driven both, how would rate the comfort of the seats in Hummer vs Rivian. For someone who has never been in either, how would you compare the seats to other suvs/trucks you’ve driven that some of us may have owned? I own a ‘20 200 series land Cruiser and the seats are pretty good but not exactly BMW or Range Rover comfortable.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Note, I have a Launch Edition Rivian reservation, that I've changed to an R1S for now. Have a 3X Hummer EV SUV order too I've made as I'm thinking if we like the truck a lot, we may go with the Hummer SUV instead too as we want one or the other. Heck, could maybe flip the Rivian SUV since its priced at like $70K for us and is like $100K now for new orders.

But, going with the Hummer for a number of reasons also:

1) The R1T seems a bit smaller, not fond of that here in our rural TX area full of big trucks. Who wants to be the tiny mid-size truck at the light? Looked down upon so negatively ;-).... Nah, our F150 though is full size and wanted something at least that same size and feel the Rivian is a step down from that.

2) I do need something I can get around on our rocky acreage pretty easily without worry. The tires on the Hummer and the wheels are much better designed for this. E.g. the Rivian's 20" wheels are a bad design as they actually stick out a bit and are prone to scratching.

3) Range, seems the Hummer actually wins on the Range by quite a bit, even with its huge tires. Yes, it is totally inefficient compared to the R1T but its bigger, and still and EV which is a requirement here.

4) The tech while seems won't get upgraded as much, is all there I feel. It's got everything ya need/we want at this point... good infotainment overall, good mapping based on Google, Supercruise is great/stable, etc. I'm fine with all this for a number of years. Rivian is a little buggy but promises some great upgrades I'm sure in future.

5) I do NOT like the vents being controlled on the screen anymore, want real vents. Have come to not like this on our Tesla Model S. I also like some hard buttons which the Hummer has, they got the blend of buttons/on-screen right while still having a more interesting cabin design.

6) Rear wheel steering, already been said.

7) The convertible sky panels are pretty awesome ya have to admit. Will have to solve for the heat problem here in 100+ most days Summer of TX hill country. Will maybe get a set of opaque ones when released for lower trims perhaps.

8) The dealer/service network is there. Rivian is working on something here in the Austin area way east of us, but it'll probably get pretty quickly overbooked/ran with all the Austin CA transplants that are probably going to get Rivians.

-T

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One negative about the Rivian frunk for me would be the lean over factor. If the front of the frunk is filthy, that will transfer on your clothes. If it’s raining or snowing out, you’ll get that on you as well. Maybe it’s not that much of a reach over, just assuming that would be frustrating when using it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Note, I have a Launch Edition Rivian reservation, that I've changed to an R1S for now. Have a 3X Hummer EV SUV order too I've made as I'm thinking if we like the truck a lot, we may go with the Hummer SUV instead too as we want one or the other. Heck, could maybe flip the Rivian SUV since its priced at like $70K for us and is like $100K now for new orders.

But, going with the Hummer for a number of reasons also:

1) The R1T seems a bit smaller, not fond of that here in our rural TX area full of big trucks. Who wants to be the tiny mid-size truck at the light? Looked down upon so negatively ;-).... Nah, our F150 though is full size and wanted something at least that same size and feel the Rivian is a step down from that.

2) I do need something I can get around on our rocky acreage pretty easily without worry. The tires on the Hummer and the wheels are much better designed for this. E.g. the Rivian's 20" wheels are a bad design as they actually stick out a bit and are prone to scratching.

3) Range, seems the Hummer actually wins on the Range by quite a bit, even with its huge tires. Yes, it is totally inefficient compared to the R1T but its bigger, and still and EV which is a requirement here.

4) The tech while seems won't get upgraded as much, is all there I feel. It's got everything ya need/we want at this point... good infotainment overall, good mapping based on Google, Supercruise is great/stable, etc. I'm fine with all this for a number of years. Rivian is a little buggy but promises some great upgrades I'm sure in future.

5) I do NOT like the vents being controlled on the screen anymore, want real vents. Have come to not like this on our Tesla Model S. I also like some hard buttons which the Hummer has, they got the blend of buttons/on-screen right while still having a more interesting cabin design.

6) Rear wheel steering, already been said.

7) The convertible sky panels are pretty awesome ya have to admit. Will have to solve for the heat problem here in 100+ most days Summer of TX hill country. Will maybe get a set of opaque ones when released for lower trims perhaps.

8) The dealer/service network is there. Rivian is working on something here in the Austin area way east of us, but it'll probably get pretty quickly overbooked/ran with all the Austin CA transplants that are probably going to get Rivians.

-T
Thanks for the write-up! Number 5 is the biggest one for me of all things when shopping for an EV. I much prefer hard buttons and having to use a screen to control wipers, vents, etc. is beyond ridiculous to me. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road. I know they offer voice prompt but that’s not 100% either and if my music is playing or chatting with someone, the voice prompt would be frustrating.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Why did you buy or reserve a Hummer over the Rivian? Was it simply based on styling or something more…
Styling and features, removable roof, 4 wheels steer, SuperCruise, then it comes down to cool factor, Rivian is practical, but not cool. After owning the Hummer EV, the range is much better than I expected, and crushes the Rivian R1T.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts