GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Don’t know if it makes any difference, but Tesla has their AI day tomorrow so they may suck all the air out of any other announcements. I guess we will see though.
Tesla's AI day is more of a jobs fair, Tesla is trying hard to hire smart engineers as their current crop is not making much progress on the FSD issues

Tesla is not even inviting all their Shill-ish you tubers to this event

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tesla's AI day is more of a jobs fair, Tesla is trying hard to hire smart engineers as their current crop is not making much progress on jobs fair the FSD issues

Tesla is not even inviting all their Shill-ish you tubers to this event
Yea I heard about the jobs fair aspect! I figure they will have to brag about something though. Mainly their dojo system? Anyway, it may be inconsequential to any Hummer news. GM has started to have people look at their Lyriq though this week. So hopefully both their electric vehicles make the news this week!

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
202 Posts
Yea I heard about the jobs fair aspect! I figure they will have to brag about something though. Mainly their dojo system? Anyway, it may be inconsequential to any Hummer news. GM has started to have people look at their Lyriq though this week. So hopefully both their electric vehicles make the news this week!
It has not hit the main news outlets yet, but a 2020 Bolt with US made batteries went up in flames on Monday. And next week they are starting replacements of 2019 batteries with US made 2020+ batteries. It has been an "Oh Shit!" week on the Bolt forums.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
It has not hit the main news outlets yet, but a 2020 Bolt with US made batteries went up in flames on Monday. And next week they are starting replacements of 2019 batteries with US made 2020+ batteries. It has been an "Oh Shit!" week on the Bolt forums.
No kidding, Thats terrible news...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nothing as of yet this week. We are getting more Lyriq news as of right now and being setup for reservations on that. It's been quiet on the Hummer front here. This is today's 2022 model ordering options just to show I'm not crazy. haha.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bummer. I would think the ordering would start soon if they are targeting Thanksgiving. I also wasn’t too hopeful for today due to the fact they still haven’t released final range, specs, etc. I would think they would need to make all that information known before they expect people to place final orders if they are throwing down this much money for one

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Bummer. I would think the ordering would start soon if they are targeting Thanksgiving. I also wasn’t too hopeful for today due to the fact they still haven’t released final range, specs, etc. I would think they would need to make all that information known before they expect people to place final orders if they are throwing down this much money for one
@INgolfer @BigJonEV Not to raise panic, but following @azbill the news of later model Bolt fire (s) this week has to be giving everyone in GM management that empty stomach feeling. I do not expect any EV announcement from GM until they get to the bottom of this latest news, and have an understanding of what happened. I would imagine the supply of Tums at the Ren-Cen is in short supply this week.

At the same time Covid is going crazy, and Toyota and VW announced drastic chip shortage production cuts which are crushing auto related stocks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@INgolfer @BigJonEV Not to raise panic, but following @azbill the news of later model Bolt fire (s) this week has to be giving everyone in GM management that empty stomach feeling. I do not expect any EV announcement from GM until they get to the bottom of this latest news, and have an understanding of what happened. I would imagine the supply of Tums at the Ren-Cen is in short supply this week.

At the same time Covid is going crazy, and Toyota and VW announced drastic chip shortage production cuts which are crushing auto related stocks.
That is definitely not good news for any positivity on a new EV launch. Guess I need to watch my 2020 Bolt now. It makes me curious if it's more to do with the systems around the battery then such as cooling when charging especially when they thought they had the problem isolated to the battery.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
That is definitely not good news for any positivity on a new EV launch. Guess I need to watch my 2020 Bolt now. It makes me curious if it's more to do with the systems around the battery then such as cooling when charging especially when they thought they had the problem isolated to the battery.
Its hard to say for sure what is the root cause. A short anywhere in the system could cause a thermal runaway, but suspicion seems to point at the LG cells. It seems to mostly hit cars that long cycle their battery, ie. run it for days without charging until it gets down to 20-30% and then charging which is exactly what we do with both the E-Tron and the Tesla. EV's are going to have problems once in a while, but when you see patterns, that is more disturbing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Its hard to say for sure what is the root cause. A short anywhere in the system could cause a thermal runaway, but suspicion seems to point at the LG cells. It seems to mostly hit cars that long cycle their battery, ie. run it for days without charging until it gets down to 20-30% and then charging which is exactly what we do with both the E-Tron and the Tesla. EV's are going to have problems once in a while, but when you see patterns, that is more disturbing.
I 100% agree with seeing patterns is an issue. I charge like that fairly often as I don't like to charge every night if I don't have to. My wife is in real estate so there are days where she drives a ton getting down to that 20% range and recharges overnight to be ready for the next day. We both have 2020 Bolts so this could get very interesting quick.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This could be a crazy theory thinking about our own situation. Her Bolt does not have DC fast charging and mine does. I know most of these fires have been level 2 charging, but I wonder if there is an added system when you have a car optioned with DCFC that monitors temp better or keeps better control of the charging. We sold a fair amount of Bolts without DCFC and that would separate Bolts of the same model year with the same battery as to why some catch fire and some don't.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
This could be a crazy theory thinking about our own situation. Her Bolt does not have DC fast charging and mine does. I know most of these fires have been level 2 charging, but I wonder if there is an added system when you have a car optioned with DCFC that monitors temp better or keeps better control of the charging. We sold a fair amount of Bolts without DCFC and that would separate Bolts of the same model year with the same battery as to why some catch fire and some don't.
Interesting thought, or course anything is possible. I just hope it resolves soon, and GM really understands what is happening and why? I think back to the 787 battery fires, They never did identify an exact root cause, they just made a lot of changes, and then put the whole thing in a 1/2" thick stainless box with a pipe to vent gasses overboard. They have had a handful of single cells venting since then, but nothing catastrophic.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
GM shut down the Bolt plant for at least a week (chip Shortage), maybe fire investigations? I wonder if a stop sale is coming next?

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
Wow...this has to be the longest thread we've ever had haha. Great to see.

Reactions: BigJonEV

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
202 Posts
I will give you my take on it. First of all LG makes pouch batteries that are layered and use "folded anodes". According to Hyundai, but denied by LG, the Kona fires were a result of improperly folded anodes. GM has claimed the Bolt design is different and chemistry is different. A guy on a Bolt forum posted a power point provided by LG about the plant in Holland, MI and the process used. The Bolt batteries do use folded anodes, just like Kona. LG also has battery storage systems that have had fires, they are similar to Tesla Power Walls. Those have also been recalled. All the electronics and chargers for those three batteries from LG are different. What is common is the folded anode pouch design.

My opinion should be obvious. I am an electrical engineer.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I will give you my take on it. First of all LG makes pouch batteries that are layered and use "folded anodes". According to Hyundai, but denied by LG, the Kona fires were a result of improperly folded anodes. GM has claimed the Bolt design is different and chemistry is different. A guy on a Bolt forum posted a power point provided by LG about the plant in Holland, MI and the process used. The Bolt batteries do use folded anodes, just like Kona. LG also has battery storage systems that have had fires, they are similar to Tesla Power Walls. Those have also been recalled. All the electronics and chargers for those three batteries from LG are different. What is common is the folded anode pouch design.

My opinion should be obvious. I am an electrical engineer.
You likely know way more then me about this type of thing, but there was also an LG grid level battery in AZ that caught fire, the owner had an outside firm inspect the remaining undamaged cells and they found unusual dendrite growth in some of the cells. I will not claim to know what causes that but it sounds like a problem that could scale across many of these failures.

I wonder if there is a fundamental design problem with this battery cell design? Or are the problems manufacturing and materials related?

141 - 160 of 198 Posts