GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
As an investor, I hate that idea. Tesla has proven you can sell 300K annually of a model in the USA with an average price in the 70's, without making a bunch of option packages. This is why tesla profit is growing while GM is shrinking... Tesla has the right car, the right specs, and the right strategy, GM should be (like Ford is) building a better Model Y (better looking and better interior), but match Model Y on charging , and efficiency, and GM will have a hit on their hands.
I agree with Tesla and their limited variations. But I wonder if their success has more to do with the limited competition in that space? The buyer care more about getting a Tesla than any specific option. We know from a manufacturing standpoint GM will produce very few variations outside of colors and even those will be limited to certain trims. The variations will happen on custom orders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No shit, so do I, hence saying GM needs to build a better looking ModelY, but need to match Tesla on the Technicals. Cargo, Range, Efficiency, Charging, Driving Fun... I am not sure GM can match Tesla technically. You have to go drive a tesla 3 or Y, they drive really really well (sans the stiff suspension)
They drive well, but everything inside just feels cheap.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
They drive well, but everything inside just feels cheap.
Agree with both your posts, Tesla are not attractive, and have cheap materials inside and out, but they have best in class charging, efficiency, utility, and drive awesome. Tesla fans think the cars look good, and I like the S, but the others are ugly.

Yes, I am not sure Gm can get away with keeping options simple as Tesla does, but I do think package builds so the factory can batch build will save resources, and will run through the factory faster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I am not sure Gm can get away with keeping options simple as Tesla does, but I do think package builds so the factory can batch build will save resources, and will run through the factory faster.
Agreed, GM could get rid of all the "available options" and just package them in one of the trim levels. So your only "option" for any one trim level is paint, AWD and Super Cruise. The top level trims should include everything.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Agreed, GM could get rid of all the "available options" and just package them in one of the trim levels. So your only "option" for any one trim level is paint, AWD and Super Cruise. The top level trims should include everything.
That what I think the way to do it is, and talking to folks I know in GM plants, they hate every vehicle down the line being a custom build. Especially the team at Bowling Green, where GM has turned production into custom building each vehicle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That what I think the way to do it is, and talking to folks I know in GM plants, they hate every vehicle down the line being a custom build. Especially the team at Bowling Green, where GM has turned production into custom building each vehicle.
For a vehicle like the Corvette they might not have a choice with its laundry list of available options. But for the Blazer, Equinox it should be easy to package available options into a trim level. Cadillac seemed learned a thing or two about options with the Lyriq.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
For a vehicle like the Corvette they might not have a choice with its laundry list of available options. But for the Blazer, Equinox it should be easy to package available options into a trim level. Cadillac seemed learned a thing or two about options with the Lyriq.
I think GM should limit production to one model on upcoming EV's and just concentrate on ramping production, then add models as demand calls for it. Don't try to build 20 different config's from day 1, and thereby struggle with production and quality.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
946 Posts
Ya, it is competing with Rav 4, and those other segment leaders, 295 might be enough, but does not compete with Tesla.
I think it's a good spot for them to stick the vehicle in the market. AWD is good for areas that have bad weather and a good size for a family's second vehicle that they might let their teenager use. When my son is driving age, he's not going to be allowed to drive any of my fast vehicles unless we are with him.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts