GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am excited to see what will likely be the highest volume crossover on the Ultium Platform. Any Guesses on specs and pricing? I am hoping to see...

250 mile range car for $34K keep in mind there will be available rebates in the USA.

300+ mile range in the High 30's, and fully loaded AWD model in the low 40's

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am excited to see what will likely be the highest volume crossover on the Ultium Platform. Any Guesses on specs and pricing? I am hoping to see...

250 mile range car for $34K keep in mind there will be available rebates in the USA.

300+ mile range in the High 30's, and fully loaded AWD model in the low 40's

View attachment 3004
I wanted to add, this seems to have recessed door handles, hope its a better solution then Lyriq, which is a worse design of the Mach E entry system.

Frunk? I know GM says its not needed, but I think it is a mistake if it does not have even a small frunk.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wanted to add, this seems to have recessed door handles, hope its a better solution then Lyriq, which is a worse design of the Mach E entry system.

Frunk? I know GM says its not needed, but I think it is a mistake if it does not have even a small frunk.
The frunk will be probably be a non-starter. I believe the Equinox's basic drive unit will the Ultium 180 kW FWD unit, with the AWD option of the adding the 62 kW induction-motor AWD assist unit in the rear. With the FWD unit, the inverter, integrated power electronics module, and on-board charger module all stack on top of each other over the motor, which completely fills available frunk space. The front drive unit/IPE/OBCM stack will be the same configuration as the Lyriq's AWD option.

Note that those kW ratings are for a full 12-module 100-kWh pack. For the lower kWh packs, the drive-unit kW ratings will likely be de-rated.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I disagree with the need for a frunk. We rented a MY for a road trip and never even opened the frunk, except to get a charging adapter. In most daily cases, parking like a normal person, the typical trunk is the most accessible storage area. I have not wished for our bolt to have a frunk for a second. And if manufacturers are going to half-ass it like the ioniq 5/EV6 AWD, I would absolutely prefer they skip it and utilize it for more cabin/trunk space by relocating electronics or what have you.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I disagree with the need for a frunk. We rented a MY for a road trip and never even opened the frunk, except to get a charging adapter. In most daily cases, parking like a normal person, the typical trunk is the most accessible storage area. I have not wished for our bolt to have a frunk for a second. And if manufacturers are going to half-ass it like the ioniq 5/EV6 AWD, I would absolutely prefer they skip it and utilize it for more cabin/trunk space by relocating electronics or what have you.
Agree, and disagree, a Frunk is useful for storing take out food (smelly) locking a laptop, and other uses, however the Tesla Y frunk has such a flimsy lid, it is less useful as you always feel it could sustain damage. Frunks on premium cars should be automated, and there by not the cheap feeling Tesla operation.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The frunk will be probably be a non-starter. I believe the Equinox's basic drive unit will the Ultium 180 kW FWD unit, with the AWD option of the adding the 62 kW induction-motor AWD assist unit in the rear. With the FWD unit, the inverter, integrated power electronics module, and on-board charger module all stack on top of each other over the motor, which completely fills available frunk space. The front drive unit/IPE/OBCM stack will be the same configuration as the Lyriq's AWD option.

Note that those kW ratings are for a full 12-module 100-kWh pack. For the lower kWh packs, the drive-unit kW ratings will likely be de-rated.
You are a technical guy, why did GM design their drive units to be so large and heavy, we see companies like Lucid designing them compact, and with many integrated components, to help with packaging, even Tesla to a lesser extent packaged their drive units well. Jaguar in the I-Pace also has well packaged drive units.

In the past Gm has packaged engines efficiently, Like the LS/LT engine platform compared to other OEM DOHC platforms allows much better packaging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agree, and disagree, a Frunk is useful for storing take out food (smelly) locking a laptop, another uses, however the Tesla Y frunk has suck a flimsy lid, it isles useful as you always feel it could sustain damage. Frunks on premium cars should be automated, and there by not the cheap feeling Tesla operation.
I love the morning pizza smell!

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,315 Posts
You are a technical guy, why did GM design their drive units to be so large and heavy, we see companies like Lucid designing them compact, and with many integrated components, to help with packaging, even Tesla to a lesser extent packaged their drive units well. Jaguar in the I-Pace also has well packaged drive units.

In the past Gm has packaged engines efficiently, Like the LS/LT engine platform compared to other OEM DOHC platforms allows much better packaging.
I think it's also a question of serviceability. downsize everything and integrate everything means you have to disassemble more to get to what you need to service?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's also a question of serviceability. downsize everything and integrate everything means you have to disassemble more to get to what you need to service?
Usually the plastic frunk liner pops out with a few clips, and exposes everything. Here is a BMW for example posted on Twitter by Engineering Explained this morning. Plenty of room for a small frunk... and with a little work, could have a nice frunk.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
936 Posts

Lucid's gearing is more like a planetary end cap, whereas GM's gearing looks to be less integrated and more like a traditional setup. It sort of looks like GM did the ultium drivetrain design to be able to have multiple gears, but hard to know for sure without seeing a full internal breakdown.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lucid's gearing is more like a planetary end cap, whereas GM's gearing looks to be less integrated and more like a traditional setup. It sort of looks like GM did the ultium drivetrain design to be able to have multiple gears, but hard to know for sure without seeing a full internal breakdown.
Ya, I think you are right, GM designed to be able to change ratios depending on vehicle needs, and also use cheaper gears. the Lucid planetary requires very fine grinding and tolerance control to keep from being noisy, but nearly no gear backlash.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
710 Posts
I have a Bolt and a Mach E, and to be honest I almost never open the frunk on the Mach E.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
710 Posts
Frunk is useful if large and an automated door, but a small frunk that is manual is less useful.
So far, I think the Hummer and Lightning have the most useful frunks. Opening those is more like opening the old 70s sedan trunks, back when cars were almost as big as trucks. :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts