GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm happy with that small amount of wheel chirp. My Bolt has the low rolling resistance tires on there from the factory and it's like a I can't take off or hit a corner at all without chirping. At least having these off road tires will give some traction for launches.

I too am not worried about NVH. I'm sure a lot of the noises are all tied to hearing the electric motor or the pedestrian alert noises. All of those are higher frequency and can be heard inside my car at any given time. I'm sure the camera is picking those up like crazy.
Seemed like there were a TON of noises being pumped into the interior...hopefully at least some of the interior ones can be turned off. If Tesla has shown us anything, it's that we don't need Jetson noises in the car to know we're moving!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Seemed like there were a TON of noises being pumped into the interior...hopefully at least some of the interior ones can be turned off. If Tesla has shown us anything, it's that we don't need Jetson noises in the car to know we're moving!
Agree... No noises needed...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m actually kinda digging the “engine noise” from
The Porsche when they drive by me. I’m hoping the hummer sounds a little more aggressive and not so spacey in person. I’m sure the mics aren’t too great at picking up the heavy base tones.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Porsche when they drive by me. I’m hoping the hummer sounds a little more aggressive and not so spacey in person. I’m sure the mics aren’t too great at picking up the heavy base tones.
I rode in one of the Taycan’s and didn’t mind it. If that’s how the Hummer will sound I’m perfectly fine with that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the noise will help with the conversion. That was a negative with the experience for me with an ev versus ice. Even though it's artificial I think i would still like it.

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
Yeah, this was my sentiment as well. I dig that noise, it's so unique (y)

I came out of the review release day feeling vindicated, not disappointed.

I mean we could nitpick until we're blue in the face, but every major promise the Hummer team made, they delivered on.

It seems like most people here are talking about aspects of the truck that relate to driving on the road or every day usability, which is totally fine. But for me, what I noticed was how much of a BEAST this truck is off the beaten path. It's a Hummer, so that HAD to be the expectation.

And it delivered that promise in spades.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
234 Posts
Did anyone notice the feature that you can air down the tires from the center screen? Really good feature. On the "bad" side, you will have to buy a separate portable compressor to air them back up manually. I have seen several portable 120V compressors that could work well for this. Hopefully they will provide a built in compressor later, like Rivian has.

I believe the original H1 had the ability to air the tires up and down from inside the truck.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, this was my sentiment as well. I dig that noise, it's so unique (y)

I came out of the review release day feeling vindicated, not disappointed.

I mean we could nitpick until we're blue in the face, but every major promise the Hummer team made, they delivered on.

It seems like most people here are talking about aspects of the truck that relate to driving on the road or every day usability, which is totally fine. But for me, what I noticed was how much of a BEAST this truck is off the beaten path. It's a Hummer, so that HAD to be the expectation.

And it delivered that promise in spades.
Except 0-60 in 3 seconds, seems more like 3.5 to 3.9, in the videos I saw.

I like the truck, but not GM's event, there they had nannies watching over things too tightly. Overall the HummerEV is impressive, but we need more independent reviews, without GM nannies watching over everything.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did anyone notice the feature that you can air down the tires from the center screen? Really good feature. On the "bad" side, you will have to buy a separate portable compressor to air them back up manually. I have seen several portable 120V compressors that could work well for this. Hopefully they will provide a built in compressor later, like Rivian has.

I believe the original H1 had the ability to air the tires up and down from inside the truck.
Yes, the H1, had an onboard air system connected to the tires. You cannot air down the HummerEV tires from inside, what you can do is set target pressure and the horn will beep when you get to the target pressure letting you know, but you still have to let the pressure down outside.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Except 0-60 in 3 seconds, seems more like 3.5 to 3.9, in the videos I saw.

I like the truck, but not GM's event, there they had nannies watching over things too tightly. Overall the HummerEV is impressive, but we need more independent reviews, without GM nannies watching over everything.
I believe Al even said 3.4 at one point but was also saying that he had some tire spin on that one in particular but it was capable of 3 seconds. It would be cool if it had a performance data recorder like the Camaro and Corvette have that would actually record your times and show you how well it does. I loved taking my ZL1 out and trying to get the tires warm so I could get the best performance and then check the screen each time I pulled off a 0-60. As much as GM talks about the speed and being a super truck I would be surprised if they didn’t have that data available somewhere in the software, unless they are trying to keep people from seeing the actual times

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I believe Al even said 3.4 at one point but was also saying that he had some tire spin on that one in particular but it was capable of 3 seconds. It would be cool if it had a performance data recorder like the Camaro and Corvette have that would actually record your times and show you how well it does. I loved taking my ZL1 out and trying to get the tires warm so I could get the best performance and then check the screen each time I pulled off a 0-60. As much as GM talks about the speed and being a super truck I would be surprised if they didn’t have that data available somewhere in the software, unless they are trying to keep people from seeing the actual times
The PDR (software) is made by Cosworth, and costs money, I do not see the Hummer coming with that or it would have been mentioned.

Capable of 3 seconds if its like PLAID, and has to have a drag strip with glue on the track is not the same as what GM presented originally. 4 tenths of a second off the rating is a lot...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also anyone notice or know what’s up with the blue tint on the glass panels? Curious if that was tint, plastic laminate that wasn’t peeled off or what. I thought they would be same tint as back windows.

you know what would be amazingly cool is if those were some how transition glass that lightened and darkened with ambient light.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also anyone notice or know what’s up with the blue tint on the glass panels? Curious if that was tint, plastic laminate that wasn’t peeled off or what. I thought they would be same tint as back windows.

you know what would be amazingly cool is if those were some how transition glass that lightened and darkened with ambient light.
I think that is just GM's tinting for those glass roof panels. The C7 Corvette had the option for transparent roof panel and it was a very blue color also. Could be how they make their rigid glass roofs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, the H1, had an onboard air system connected to the tires. You cannot air down the HummerEV tires from inside, what you can do is set target pressure and the horn will beep when you get to the target pressure letting you know, but you still have to let the pressure down outside.
From the Motor Trend review (2022 GMC Hummer EV Prototype First Drive: Truck Yeah!. Definitely misleading if you're going outside still to air down!

Airing Up And Down With The Hummer
To air down the Hummer's tires for off-roading, one only needs to go to the off-road app in the truck's center stack and set the target deflation pressure. A clever feature is that the horn honks when a tire reaches the set pressure. You have to inflate the tires yourself and supply your own compressor and hose, but the horn will honk when each tire is full, too.
The Rivian R1T ups the ante: it comes with an onboard compressor built into the bedside, as well as a hose. Select the pressure, hit start, and watch the readout of its progress until it turns itself off at the desired pressure.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
234 Posts
From the Motor Trend review (2022 GMC Hummer EV Prototype First Drive: Truck Yeah!. Definitely misleading if you're going outside still to air down!

Airing Up And Down With The Hummer
To air down the Hummer's tires for off-roading, one only needs to go to the off-road app in the truck's center stack and set the target deflation pressure. A clever feature is that the horn honks when a tire reaches the set pressure. You have to inflate the tires yourself and supply your own compressor and hose, but the horn will honk when each tire is full, too.
The Rivian R1T ups the ante: it comes with an onboard compressor built into the bedside, as well as a hose. Select the pressure, hit start, and watch the readout of its progress until it turns itself off at the desired pressure.
It certainly mislead me!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts