·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
709 Posts
Waymo no safety drivers and collecting fares for rides?
They have been doing it in Chandler and are ready to expand to Phoenix downtown/airport. The one I passed the other day may have been coming from the airport (looked to be empty, test run possibly?), heading toward Tempe or Chandler. I happened to be driving to Tempe last Saturday when I passed it on I-10.

I have seen several on freeways in the past with drivers, even very far from Chandler, and a few in the past on local roads without drivers, but I do not get to Chandler often. They started out providing rides to/from work for Intel employees.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have been doing it in Chandler and are ready to expand to Phoenix downtown/airport. The one I passed the other day may have been coming from the airport, heading toward Tempe or Chandler. I happened to be driving to Tempe last Saturday when I passed it on I-10.

I have seen several on freeways in the past with drivers, even very far from Chandler, and a few in the past on local roads without drivers, but I do not get to Chandler often. They started out providing rides to/from work for Intel employees.
Yes, but are they permitted to charge for the rides? As I understand the permit to start charging, is what takes it from a concept, to a business.

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
So today I am in downtown Phoenix and spot two Waymo driverless cars at the same intersection, at the same time, going in different directions. Interestingly, this intersection is a 6 way, pretty complicated and the first one I saw made a right turn just in front of me and I was able to confirm no driver. The second one was passing me in the other direction, again with no driver. They have darkened back windows, so I could not tell if they had passengers. And these were not the vans that I had previously encountered they were newer sedans, as shown in that article about Phoenix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts