GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! While the Hummer Club Inc. was at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area in Pennsylvania this year, our group came across some really tight narrow forest trails that were pretty brutal. It took about 1 hour and 30 minutes to get the entire group through. I got so much footage of it, I decided to put a video together comparing the EV vs the Hummer H1. The results of it were pretty surprising:

·
Registered
2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kudos to the owner for taking their Hummer out like this! Great video @Acer4LO!
Thanks man I appreciate it! Hopefully we will start seeing more EVs out on the trails instead of in mall parking lots. It would be great to see some more EV owners join us at Hummer Club Inc. offroad events! 😁😁😁

·
Registered
2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that! I was really excited to see that get picked up by a magazine! The author definitely had a different opinion than my own, but that's why they are writing the article and not me lol. From my point of view, I thought the takeaway from the video is that the EV was able to navigate better than the H1 despite being the same width on paper. It performed similar to an H2 and didn't take nearly as long as the H1, but hey I guess they are not fans of wide vehicles in general. I would be curious to see what you guys thought the takeaway of the video is based on the performance of both vehicles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I saw that! I was really excited to see that get picked up by a magazine! The author definitely had a different opinion than my own, but that's why they are writing the article and not me lol. From my point of view, I thought the takeaway from the video is that the EV was able to navigate better than the H1 despite being the same width on paper. It performed similar to an H2 and didn't take nearly as long as the H1, but hey I guess they are not fans of wide vehicles in general. I would be curious to see what you guys thought the takeaway of the video is based on the performance of both vehicles.
To be honest, I went into the video expecting to be surprised by the results based on your first post and came out thinking that it went exactly as I expected. The HEV’s rear wheel steering gives it an advantage over the H1 and makes it seem smaller than its dimensions. It’s bigger than the H1 but seemed to get through the trees relatively easily compared to the H1.

Re the article, I think most of us on here are comparing the performance of the HEV to the H1 but the author is clearly more focused on HEV vs. non-Hummers. In that sense, I understand the focus on size because the HEV’s size does potentially make navigating off-road more difficult at times. I don’t think that is a big revelation.

The one thing I thought was more interesting in the video that was highlighted in the article was how jerky the HEV looked at times. It looked to me like the HEV’s power could be hard to manage while trying to navigate tight spaces. Would be curious if that is consistent with people’s actual experiences or if, as the article suggests, the driver didn’t switch to off-road mode in the video (and how much that would have helped).

·
Registered
2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest, I went into the video expecting to be surprised by the results based on your first post and came out thinking that it went exactly as I expected. The HEV’s rear wheel steering gives it an advantage over the H1 and makes it seem smaller than its dimensions. It’s bigger than the H1 but seemed to get through the trees relatively easily compared to the H1.

Re the article, I think most of us on here are comparing the performance of the HEV to the H1 but the author is clearly more focused on HEV vs. non-Hummers. In that sense, I understand the focus on size because the HEV’s size does potentially make navigating off-road more difficult at times. I don’t think that is a big revelation.

The one thing I thought was more interesting in the video that was highlighted in the article was how jerky the HEV looked at times. It looked to me like the HEV’s power could be hard to manage while trying to navigate tight spaces. Would be curious if that is consistent with people’s actual experiences or if, as the article suggests, the driver didn’t switch to off-road mode in the video (and how much that would have helped).
As I am starting to see more footage of EVs going offroad, I did notice that. It does bring up an interesting point. EVs have zero passive roll to the tires like the Gas/Diesel trucks do. This is when you have the vehicle in drive, but you are not actually pressing the gas pedal to move forward. This makes very delicate offroad situations harder for the EV since you can’t just let off the brake and get that slow passive power to the wheels. Every movement is “gas pedal” activated. This is turn gives you jolting movements when you are trying to go very slow through something. Not exactly great when you are offroad and need to make precise slow movements when doing a technical obstacle. It might just be that there is a learning curve on how to better manage this effect. To be fair, this was the very first time that EV owner took his EV offroad so it is probably going to take some time getting use to how this vehicle drives offroad vs an ICE vehicle. I am not sure exactly what offroad mode he had it in when driving past the narrow trees. The owner did have previous offroad experience as he use to own an H2 and attended Hummer Club Inc. events. I myself have been trying to learn more about how all the different offroad modes and features work on the EV. So once more newbie EV owners start to join us on the trails, I can better understand what the vehicle is doing and better guide them as to what do in technical situations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts