GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the lack of info and activity recently i started cruising the InsideEVs.com website and came across this article, How much range does an electric car lose each year? and figured id start up a conversation

Obviously with the brand new battery platform im sure there is little to no data on performance of the platform. Im curious of a few things
1) will we get these numbers with the hummer release
2) will these numbers be provided by Hummer EV owners as they start to take delivery
3) with the ultra fast charging provided by the HummerEV 300KwH charging is there potential for accelerated degradation, article said with Strict DC charging you should see an additional 3% lower in performance. will this increase with the faster charging rates?
4) im guessing with the million mile battery for Gen2 all these worries above should melt away but what proof do we have and how will the first gen hold up?
5) Worth waiting for the 2nd gen if planning on keeping HEV a long time?

Curious on your guys thoughts

We have already put about 6k miles on our Mustang Mach-E and we charge at fast stations like 95% of the time. I havent noticed any reduced range or power as of yet but i may have to check out the Mach-E forums to see what other people are experiencing.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
706 Posts
Warranties are typically 70% of original capacity at 100K miles. My 2017 Bolt originally had a usable capacity of 57kWh. I now have 99K miles on it and have about 52kWh usable, ~10% reduction. But soon I will have 65kWh when they replace the battery, along with another 100K mile warranty. I almost always charged my Bolt to 100% for the first 3 years, but now I have been charging to 88% (hilltop reserve). I would do about 5 DC fast charges each year, not too often.

For my Mach E I normally only charge to 80%, unless going on a trip.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warranties are typically 70% of original capacity at 100K miles. My 2017 Bolt originally had a usable capacity of 57kWh. I now have 99K miles on it and have about 52kWh usable, ~10% reduction. But soon I will have 65kWh when they replace the battery, along with another 100K mile warranty. I almost always charged my Bolt to 100% for the first 3 years, but now I have been charging to 88% (hilltop reserve). I would do about 5 DC fast charges each year, not too often.

For my Mach E I normally only charge to 80%, unless going on a trip.
Thanks i was curious how/where the warranty coverage tapers off. thats awesome they are re-upping the coverage for the new battery!!!!

Same here. very rarely have i got to charge to 100% but i often get down to 8% which the article says not to go below the 10-20% threshold area. i guess i should be staying between 20 and 80%. I just have problems with the Ford home charger where charging mysteriously pauses for no reason and does not charge at all overnight. I have disabled the scheduling but im using level1 charger on an outlet with a power switch AND an extension cord, both of which ford says not to do so im probably the reason why its not working and why we generally use DC fast chargers on a regular.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
706 Posts
I have taken my Bolt down to 3% twice, and under 10% a few other times. When it hits 5% it goes into "power reduced" mode. So far in the few months I have had the Mach E, it has not been below 30%.

For battery life, these are probably the best practices:

1) Charge to 80-90% for normal everyday driving, go to 100% for the first leg of any trip
2) Charge every day at home, many short charges are better than fewer deep charges
3) Keep you car plugged in as much as possible during cold and hot temperatures, in order to keep the battery well conditioned

The Bolt manual recommends being plugged in for temperature's below 32F and above 90F, the Mach E recommends below 32F and above 113F. There seems to be an issue with the Mach E though, if plugged in and fully charged, I never hear it run the cooling fan in hot conditions. My Bolt has always run the cooling fan periodically when temps are above 105F and plugged in. Since the last software update in the Bolt, it will even run the cooling when not plugged in.

Based on what GM has learned from the Bolt, I suspect they will recommend not charging all the time to 100% and will also run battery conditioning when not plugged in for all the new Ultium vehicles.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Thanks i was curious how/where the warranty coverage tapers off. thats awesome they are re-upping the coverage for the new battery!!!!

Same here. very rarely have i got to charge to 100% but i often get down to 8% which the article says not to go below the 10-20% threshold area. i guess i should be staying between 20 and 80%. I just have problems with the Ford home charger where charging mysteriously pauses for no reason and does not charge at all overnight. I have disabled the scheduling but im using level1 charger on an outlet with a power switch AND an extension cord, both of which ford says not to do so im probably the reason why its not working and why we generally use DC fast chargers on a regular.
Running your car down to 8% on a regular basis is not good for the battery (especially if you park it at the low state of charge), deep discharge is actually worse for the battery than charging to 100%. If you are on a road trip and run the battery down to make the next charger and immediately fast change that is ok, but not optimal. Using some common sense with battery health will prolong your battery life and reduce degradation.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I have taken my Bolt down to 3% twice, and under 10% a few other times. When it hits 5% it goes into "power reduced" mode. So far in the few months I have had the Mach E, it has not been below 30%.

For battery life, these are probably the best practices:

1) Charge to 80-90% for normal everyday driving, go to 100% for the first leg of any trip
2) Charge every day at home, many short charges are better than fewer deep charges
3) Keep you car plugged in as much as possible during cold and hot temperatures, in order to keep the battery well conditioned

The Bolt manual recommends being plugged in for temperature's below 32F and above 90F, the Mach E recommends below 32F and above 113F. There seems to be an issue with the Mach E though, if plugged in and fully charged, I never hear it run the cooling fan in hot conditions. My Bolt has always run the cooling fan periodically when temps are above 105F and plugged in. Since the last software update in the Bolt, it will even run the cooling when not plugged in.

Based on what GM has learned from the Bolt, I suspect they will recommend not charging all the time to 100% and will also run battery conditioning when not plugged in for all the new Ultium vehicles.
On GM's recommendations, I agree, but the Bolt fires are caused from manufacturing defects in the cells, and not necessarily the charging habits of their customers. Likely all LG cells have the same rates of defects, including Mach E, Taycan, E-Tron, I-Pace, VW ID cars, etc, and its just a matter of time until they start having more fires too. So far the Bolt fires are fairly rare outside of the 3 month period of 2019 models which seem LG was really struggling with quality control. Fires are a reality of EV's with Lithium Ion batteries, and from the data I have seen they are the worst in their segments when compared to even ICE vehicles of the same model years and class of vehicle. IIHS tracks the non crash fire data, and Tesla Model S and X are both worst in their segments, the data for 3 and Y are still immature as they have not been on the market long enough yet, Kona and Bolt will be joining that worst in class list when it gets updated with recent data.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.