GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

True Range

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Tom E-Tron 
That’s awesome the true range on this thing is crazy high, I wanted to top it off to see how far it would get but I’m trying to keep the battery below 80%.

When the EPA does their assessments they do it in default which is no regen in the hummer. So real world is going to far exceed that for a 9,000 pound truck there is a lot of kinetic Energy for recapture.
HummerEV was not given an official EPA rating (this weight class does not require EPA rating), but GM internally conducted the same testing protocol.

HummerEV has awesome range if you keep it below 65mph. Cant beat the laws of physics though at high speeds, she punishes the air at high speeds. Gives me super high hopes for Silverado and Sierra EV beating 400 mile EPA, remember though guys, weather is perfect for range now, hotter or colder will have effect.

Been driving around on max regen a few weeks now and doing tons of WTF pulls.

Here is the dash GOM at around 90% charge. That’s 350 which should mean around 390 with a full charge. If I was driving carefully it would easily exceed 400.

View attachment 2491
You guys are like kids, I have not engaged WTF or Crab yet, no need, it's plenty quick without.

It really does not matter one bit what the GOM reads when driving around town and taking it easy. I just cannot understand all the excitement over this, happens on every EV forum. Once you get on a highway trip the range will settle in at the realistic number and will not be that high. I once got my Mach E GOM up to 407, and that is on a car with 305 EPA rating. That day I took a trip up to the Grand Canyon, and the real range driving 75mph up 6000ft climb was 270. The GOM corrected itself very quickly. In town I plug my EVs in every night and usually use 10-30% of the battery, at most.
I know what you mean, If we drive our E-Tron 90 miles to our mountain cabin, the GOM will go from 225 to 98 miles, but on the way home the same 90 mile drive the GOM will show 55-60 miles on arrival. Our house is about 200 feet of elevation, and our cabin is at 3800 feet.

This is why an accurate range test should always be a loop

Thought I'd post a chart from my Hummer acceleration/range model, using optimal weather conditions, good road condition, no AC, sea level elevation, constant speed from 100%-0% SOC. If you want to "hyper-mile you Hummer" (or is that an oxymoron?), looks like 25 mph is the sweet spot at over 500 miles. But maybe 400 miles or so at 55 mph avg. YMMV. View attachment 2493
So at high elevation it will go further?

Actually, elevation makes a big range difference, especially at higher speeds. Total aerodynamic drag force proportional to drag coefficient x frontal area x air density x velocity squared. At 70 mph, aero drag is 60% of the Hummer's total "road load" horsepower. Rolling resistance load of those off-road tires is the 40%. At 5000 ft elevation, the air density is 17% less than sea level. I re-ran the range model using 5000' elevation at 70 mph and the range jumped up from 310 miles to 344 miles. About 10% improvement. Though every vehicle has a slightly different signature, as total road load power is a combination of tire rolling resistance and vehicle weight as well as and aerodynamic properties, elevation always make a difference. This explains why Kyle Connor now gets "amazing" range with every EV he range-tests. Ft. Collins is at 5000'.

Air density does impact the AC condenser cooling capacity too, but typically at high elevation we see lower peak ambient temperatures then near sea level, especially in the western US basin areas. 90 degrees in Colorado at 5000 feet provides a lot more ambient cooling capacity per cfm air flow than 110 in Las Vegas or Phoenix. AC cooling capacity more affects max charging speed than range. Pack and drive unit thermal systems typically are loafing during highway driving. Towing 10,000 trailer up the Hogback, though? Probably a different story:).
So elevation will help an aerodynamically challenged vehicle more than a Tesla is what you are saying?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.