GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some warm weather in Michigan and got a chance to take the modular skypanels off the truck. It was an easy task...if you've ever removed t-tops or a targa top, it's a similar process. The storage bags are nice and the panels stack neatly in the front storage area. I also removed the I-bar using the supplied tool. This open-air truck is now that much cooler!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you say storage bags, are you referring to a basic storage system that comes standard or the "sky panels" you have to order that fits nicely in the frunk?

Asking because I need to finalize the add-on's for my order soon. I'm curious if the sky panels are necessary if the standard storage is good enough.

Looks great, can't wait to cruise around Denver topless in mine one day.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
929 Posts
When you say storage bags, are you referring to a basic storage system that comes standard or the "sky panels" you have to order that fits nicely in the frunk?

Asking because I need to finalize the add-on's for my order soon. I'm curious if the sky panels are necessary if the standard storage is good enough.

Looks great, can't wait to cruise around Denver topless in mine one day.
The standard bags are a big enough pain in the ass that I would be interested to see how the plastic storage improves things. GM also says don't use those for storage when off-roading.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This exactly. As much of a pain as the bags are, at least they fold and take up very little space when not in use.
Agree! You have to store them somewhere, whether in your garage or in the FRUNK regardless they will take up space and I prefer the panels to be well protected with the plastic boxes. Will definitely be getting the plastic storage boxes to ensure longevity.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The standard storage bags are nice enough. I took a picture for you. They have the cool logo, too. Bags take up little space when not in use...you could still fit a body in the eTrunk. The Sky Panel Storage Set (RPO code SC8) that is coming (last pic) is super nice, but they will take up space in the eTrunk even when not in use. The I-bar just lays under the back seat by the air compressor.
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Gesture Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Hood Kitchen utensil Automotive exterior Gas
Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Waste container

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
706 Posts
The standard storage bags are nice enough. I took a picture for you. They have the cool logo, too. Bags take up little space when not in use...you could still fit a body in the eTrunk. The Sky Panel Storage Set (RPO code SC8) that is coming (last pic) is super nice, but they will take up space in the eTrunk even when not in use. The I-bar just lays under the back seat by the air compressor.
View attachment 2165 View attachment 2166 View attachment 2167 View attachment 2168
Do you still get the straps for the bags?

Also, it appears your truck has the roll up tonneau cover, how well does it work? The ones I saw at the Phoenix event appeared to be held down with velcro, wasn't sure how durable that would be.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you still get the straps for the bags?

Also, it appears your truck has the roll up tonneau cover, how well does it work? The ones I saw at the Phoenix event appeared to be held down with velcro, wasn't sure how durable that would be.
Yes, you get straps for the sky panels. They are nice black web straps with heavy carabiner clips, fitting for this truck. I didn't use them yet because I'm just tooling around town. The panels aren't going anywhere because they take up the entire frunk space!

I like the soft tonneau. It's made from a heavy sunbrella-type fabric (not vinyl) and can be released from either side. Tailgate can be opened and closed without disturbing the tonneau. It's held down on the sides by velcro, and that works fine. My other truck has the same...no issues. It does flutter a bit, but they all do. I've had it to 106 mph with no issues. I'm leery of the power tonneau in snowy winter conditions. Remember, the Edition 1 was supposed to come standard with a power tonneau and GMC removed it (and reduced the price).

·
Registered
532 Posts
View attachment 2165 View attachment 2166 View attachment 2167 View attachment 2168
Just making sure I'm looking at this correctly since you said the bags dont take up much space...do you have the panels inside those bags in the picture? Otherwise they look like they take up the same amount of space as the hard cases.. Couldnt tell if there are panels in them or if there is just some sort of padding in them that makes them hold that form. I had a bag for my Jeep panels years ago and it had some padding in it to keep them safe.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
929 Posts
Just making sure I'm looking at this correctly since you said the bags dont take up much space...do you have the panels inside those bags in the picture? Otherwise they look like they take up the same amount of space as the hard cases.. Couldnt tell if there are panels in them or if there is just some sort of padding in them that makes them hold that form. I had a bag for my Jeep panels years ago and it had some padding in it to keep them safe.
Panels take up the entire frunk space. The plastic cases just stop them from banging around and rubbing on stuff if you take the truck off road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just making sure I'm looking at this correctly since you said the bags dont take up much space...do you have the panels inside those bags in the picture?
Yes, sky panels are in the bags in the photo. When the bags are empty they fold flat and don't take up much space...no extra padding, etc. With the optional storage trays (SC8) however, they will always take up the entire frunk space, unless of course you take them out of the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts