GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
By the time this Hummer comes out, there will be dozens of options, and limited outlook for the battery supply chain. I also have a Bronco Wildtrak on order which should arrive a year before the Hummer. Who knows how this will play ou. Alas, I am hopeful! Let's go Biden!

Meantime, if I can't even get a gas Bronco for the next year...what do I do? Build a monster truck from my M3?
Not sure exactly what you mean, the Hummer EV SUT is getting close to release candidate production sometime this summer, Last picture I saw from inside the factory there were a 4 bodies sitting on the production line in the paint shop. Not going to be waiting too long for production now. This picture is about 6 weeks old, Likely those have been built and are on the road now...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
By the time this Hummer comes out, there will be dozens of options, and limited outlook for the battery supply chain. I also have a Bronco Wildtrak on order which should arrive a year before the Hummer. Who knows how this will play ou. Alas, I am hopeful! Let's go Biden!

Meantime, if I can't even get a gas Bronco for the next year...what do I do? Build a monster truck from my M3?
Actually, as of 6 weeks ago the entire factory looks to be in the final tuning phase, most of the equipment is installed even in the body shop which is the most complex. The looks ready to get dirty building some Hummer Ev's...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, I feel the same, it will be nice if a few others receive their Hummer EV before me, see if there are any design flaws that show up right away. I have 90% confidence, which is higher than I had in Tesla when I bought that.

I think you guys have courage to buy the Mach E, it seems like a good car, but the charging is a bit screwy, and on a road trip that would be a PITA. I think if I was going to buy another small crossover and it could not be Model Y, I would hold out for the Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6, Hyundai makes really efficient EV's.
I am done holding out for the Rivian, I want something else now. If I had been able to get the 400 mile Rivian this year, as promised, I would not have gone for a Mach E. They are still claiming to be delivering the 300 miles R1T in June, and yet no one has heard from them, nor has anyone gotten a test drive.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am done holding out for the Rivian, I want something else now. If I had been able to get the 400 mile Rivian this year, as promised, I would not have gone for a Mach E. They are still claiming to be delivering the 300 miles R1T in June, and yet no one has heard from them, nor has anyone gotten a test drive.
Ya, Rivian will likely see some delays, they are a brand new manufacture, and have never built a production vehicle, there will be a a learning curve. I like the Rivian, and likely would buy one if the Hummer does not work out. My 5 year plan though is to get the Hummer, keep the Tesla (as an errands, and run around car), and swap the E-Tron into the Lucid project gravity in 2023 or whenever that comes out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been busy and it seems like everyone freaked about the weight... I do not really care how much it weighs, but I am concerned about the listed payload.... I would want to be able to do Truck things with it and haul a family's pile of luggage to the beach for a week if we wanted to take it... And I would probably pull my wakeboard boat with it.... But I do not usually trailer it very far... Just a few miles on the weekends and maybe 30 miles round trip to the dealer... I didn't get in on an Edition 1, but the 3 motor version, so I will definitely be following to see real world with real end users...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ya, Rivian will likely see some delays, they are a brand new manufacture, and have never built a production vehicle, there will be a a learning curve. I like the Rivian, and likely would buy one if the Hummer does not work out. My 5 year plan though is to get the Hummer, keep the Tesla (as an errands, and run around car), and swap the E-Tron into the Lucid project gravity in 2023 or whenever that comes out.
I am keeping my Rivian reservation as a backup, but would wait for the removable roof. The only thing that would cause me to cancel the Hummer at this point would be less than the projected 350 mile range. By this fall we should have the EPA numbers, hopefully sooner than that for the Rivian.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have been busy and it seems like everyone freaked about the weight... I do not really care how much it weighs, but I am concerned about the listed payload.... I would want to be able to do Truck things with it and haul a family's pile of luggage to the beach for a week if we wanted to take it... And I would probably pull my wakeboard boat with it.... But I do not usually trailer it very far... Just a few miles on the weekends and maybe 30 miles round trip to the dealer... I didn't get in on an Edition 1, but the 3 motor version, so I will definitely be following to see real world with real end users...
I totally freaked about the weight, and low payload, but I took a deep breath and now I am ok...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am keeping my Rivian reservation as a backup, but would wait for the removable roof. The only thing that would cause me to cancel the Hummer at this point would be less than the projected 350 mile range. By this fall we should have the EPA numbers, hopefully sooner than that for the Rivian.
Not a bad choice... The Rivian is cool, and will be more efficient. The Rivain also has some cool factor, but not like the Hummer EV.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
GM will probably quiet down about the Hummer until the production vehicles are ready for media testing. The upcoming focus will be on the Silverado EV.
Agree, I think we are very close to a Silverado EV reveal, hopefully in the next 30 days... GM has a lot of reveals stacking up for this summer, C8 Z06, refreshed Silverado and Sierra, Buick EV crossover, hard to predict their cadence.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am seeing a lot of Cadillac Lyric ads on TV lately, and I do not think they are taking reservations until September.
I have seen them too.... Not sure about that strategy or advertising a product that is a still 4 months from pre order, but I am no marketing expert...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am no marketing expert either. The relatively new concept of revealing products over a year out baffles me. I would think hype fatigue would set in. Then what if there are manufacturing delays, like with the Bronco? How many customers just move and what is their longterm opinion of the brand at that point?

Speaking of the Bronco, I saw a two door and a four door at an old Bronco event a couple of months ago. The exterior looks great and I am sure Ford engineers did a great job mechanically. The interior on the other hand, was a tad smaller than my current 2019 Rubicon and looked VERY cheap and plastic.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am no marketing expert either. The relatively new concept of revealing products over a year out baffles me. I would think hype fatigue would set in. Then what if there are manufacturing delays, like with the Bronco? How many customers just move and what is their longterm opinion of the brand at that point?
Bronco is pretty cool, most people will wait in an open segment like that, but they may run into something else they want more...

Lyriq on the other hand is in a more mainstream, and crowded segment, as near as I can tell the only thing it has going for it is style, as an EV it is not class leading. RWD Lyriq is 1200 lbs heavier than an AWD Model Y with the same interior and cargo capacity, hmm. A message to GM, when it comes to EV's you really have to think different, and squeeze every ounce of light weighting you can out of it, or you will lose on all the performance categories. EV's are not like ICE where you just throw on a supercharger to make up for weak engineering. You throw in a big battery pack to get more range, and then the entire vehicle suffers in performance and efficiency.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is everybody out there still awake? It seems like the news of the Hummer EV curb weight took the wind out of our sails, and I have to admit to being disappointed, but unable to give up on the Hummer EV, it's just too cool of a vehicle. I am still in..
I'm curious why you are disappointed? Every EV is heavier than a comparable ICE counterpart, but the Cg is much lower than an ICE, which gives us a better platform for vehicle stability and performance. I'm telling you, when you drive a HummerEV with the Active Rear Steering, it feels like you are driving a small wheelbase sedan, and actually feels deceivingly lightweight. Keep the faith! Al O.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm curious why you are disappointed? Every EV is heavier than a comparable ICE counterpart, but the Cg is much lower than an ICE, which gives us a better platform for vehicle stability and performance. I'm telling you, when you drive a HummerEV with the Active Rear Steering, it feels like you are driving a small wheelbase sedan, and actually feels deceivingly lightweight. Keep the faith! Al O.
Al, thank you for replying to me... I lost faith for a few days, but it has returned. I was shocked by the total weight but mostly because I had hoped for miracles from the new structure, and underestimated the battery weight which I now peg at 3000#. Actually I was more bummed by the payload as I was hoping the Hummer EV could replace my 2020 GMC 2500HD in the roles I use it for. I guess I have to modify those roles. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would be happy to try out the handling and provide customer feedback, I am about 2 hours from Yuma. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd still like to get one. I do have deposits on all the competition but this would be my first choice. I don't need much capacity, my wife, myself, my dog and luggage so I can go and see the country.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Al, thank you for replying to me... I lost faith for a few days, but it has returned. I was shocked by the total weight but mostly because I had hoped for miracles from the new structure, and underestimated the battery weight which I now peg at 3000#. Actually I was more bummed by the payload as I was hoping the Hummer EV could replace my 2020 GMC 2500HD in the roles I use it for. I guess I have to modify those roles. :)
You lost faith?? HAHAHA. I thought you were going to come after me personally when I posted what I knew about the weight and GVWR like I designed the Hummer myself. LOL. It's great to talk with everyone and see feedback. It's pretty quiet here in person about the Hummer, so loving this forum for all of us to talk about it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You lost faith?? HAHAHA. I thought you were going to come after me personally when I posted what I knew about the weight and GVWR like I designed the Hummer myself. LOL. It's great to talk with everyone and see feedback. It's pretty quiet here in person about the Hummer, so loving this forum for all of us to talk about it.
When I first heard the number I thought there was no way in heck you were right. You were right however, my apologies!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts