GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think that Hummer was already beat up. Had that front locker and heated steering wheel buttons well used LOL, or someone was just being exta harsh with them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah I think that Hummer was already beat up. Had that front locker and heated steering wheel buttons well used LOL, or someone was just being exta harsh with them.
That was a very early Hummer and definitely very beat up. I still don't think they should have even attempted that trail, but glad that they did.

had they had extract mode, the first "gate keeper" wouldn't have been a problem. they likely would have still scraped, but at least gotten through it on their own power.

Really happy they showed the consumption of the Bronco at the end too!

What was really disappointing:
1. the videography, I can do SO much better. I'm going to email them tomorrow to see if they'll let me join their team and provide some decent videography.
2. the son who has never run Redcone and probably had only driven the hummer up to that trail prior was put in charge of it. A more capable (he got flustered half way through) off roader would have done a much better job.
3. Them giving a FREE early early production vehicle a hard time for a few buttons not working - although I agree, there should be a redundant system to put the lockers on in the event the button breaks.

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
266 Posts
Only 1,000 miles on it though, so seems pretty unacceptable/worrisome. Also didn’t want to raise to extract despite extract being present. Surprised Tommy didn’t try out L earlier, though (I think Andre did the press intro and mentioned it in that video), and wonder how much it would have helped with his momentum issues.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only 1,000 miles on it though, so seems pretty unacceptable/worrisome. Also didn’t want to raise to extract despite extract being present. Surprised Tommy didn’t try out L earlier, though (I think Andre did the press intro and mentioned it in that video), and wonder how much it would have helped with his momentum issues.
They drive so many vehicles I'm not surprised they forget some things.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That was a very early Hummer and definitely very beat up. I still don't think they should have even attempted that trail, but glad that they did.

had they had extract mode, the first "gate keeper" wouldn't have been a problem. they likely would have still scraped, but at least gotten through it on their own power.

Really happy they showed the consumption of the Bronco at the end too!

What was really disappointing:
1. the videography, I can do SO much better. I'm going to email them tomorrow to see if they'll let me join their team and provide some decent videography.
2. the son who has never run Redcone and probably had only driven the hummer up to that trail prior was put in charge of it. A more capable (he got flustered half way through) off roader would have done a much better job.
3. Them giving a FREE early early production vehicle a hard time for a few buttons not working - although I agree, there should be a redundant system to put the lockers on in the event the button breaks.
He has run Redcone - if you see the Defender video they mentioned, he was the guy who had to go back to fetch the Defender after it got two flats on the same rock (if you want to see Tommy frustrated, that’s the video to watch - see below). Kind of BS to be handed a truck with 1,000 miles where the air suspension doesn’t cooperate and the front diff and heated steering wheel buttons are ruined (though they acknowledged the VIN was <100.
See 13:55

·
Registered
142 Posts
He has run Redcone - if you see the Defender video they mentioned, he was the guy who had to go back to fetch the Defender after it got two flats on the same rock (if you want to see Tommy frustrated, that’s the video to watch - see below). Kind of BS to be handed a truck with 1,000 miles where the air suspension doesn’t cooperate and the front diff and heated steering wheel buttons are ruined (though they acknowledged the VIN was <100.
See 13:55
Ah! I stand corrected!

I'm really wondering what was going on with the HEV then. These are pretty high profile guys, I wonder why GM would give them one with so many issues on it.. nothing major, obviously, but at least in my car circles the only talking points of the whole video are the broken buttons... (not the fact that it actually got through redcone!)

I really don't think the HEV would have gotten stuck with extract mode. seems very unfortunate that it failed right when they needed it most. I hope GM watches/pays attention.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ah! I stand corrected!

I'm really wondering what was going on with the HEV then. These are pretty high profile guys, I wonder why GM would give them one with so many issues on it.. nothing major, obviously, but at least in my car circles the only talking points of the whole video are the broken buttons... (not the fact that it actually got through redcone!)

I really don't think the HEV would have gotten stuck with extract mode. seems very unfortunate that it failed right when they needed it most. I hope GM watches/pays attention.
It also looks like there's a better line for the gatekeeper coming from the right for longer wheelbase trucks (I was looking for, but didn't find, TRX or Raptors going up this obstacle/trail). This guy cruises right through and certainly doesn't have extract mode. Tommy may be a bit nervous taking the line from the right, though, in light of the Taco they saw hit its right quarter panel on the Defender trip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It also looks like there's a better line for the gatekeeper coming from the right for longer wheelbase trucks (I was looking for, but didn't find, TRX or Raptors going up this obstacle/trail). This guy cruises right through and certainly doesn't have extract mode. Tommy may be a bit nervous taking the line from the right, though, in light of the Taco they saw hit its right quarter panel on the Defender trip.

It LOOKS that way, but going any further right is so steep and with such a gnarly approach/breakover/and departure angle, that really only a 2-door short wheel base vehicle running 37's or better can go further to the right. The trail is also much more rutted out this year than last due to people spinning out when stuck on the gate keeper. That rock is freakin' gigantic and much larger than video makes it look! Also, props to that crazy person for doing the trail in an F-150!!

I've done the trail twice, in July of last year and July of this year. Here's a video I shot last year of my buddy going over the gate keeper (start at 10 seconds). He's running on 34's and has a pretty substantial lift. The Line that they chose for the Hummer should have been fine had they had extract mode.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It LOOKS that way, but going any further right is so steep and with such a gnarly approach/breakover/and departure angle, that really only a 2-door short wheel base vehicle running 37's or better can go further to the right. The trail is also much more rutted out this year than last due to people spinning out when stuck on the gate keeper. That rock is freakin' gigantic and much larger than video makes it look! Also, props to that crazy person for doing the trail in an F-150!!

I've done the trail twice, in July of last year and July of this year. Here's a video I shot last year of my buddy going over the gate keeper (start at 10 seconds). He's running on 34's and has a pretty substantial lift. The Line that they chose for the Hummer should have been fine had they had extract mode.

Your video it also looks (which I realize can be deceiving) like they went from right to left, rather than left to right/straighter like the TFL video. That F150 vid appears to be three months old, as well (but also like he’s got a lift over the 35s too).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts