GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that know a little more about the engineering of this stuff I just have a quick question regarding anyones guess about the SUV range. I know the overall battery pack is smaller due to the size, but it should also be a little lighter as well. If the trucks estimated range is 329 will the SUV be much less than that?

I know real world results have been a little better, so I’m just going off what the anticipated range difference will be.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
585 Posts
We know the battery pack is 20 modules versus 24, so just that ratio would put it at 275 miles. I think the lighter weight and less aggressive tires will bump it up about 10-15%, so right around 300-315 miles. But large diameter wheels could have an effect in the opposite direction And negate less aggressive tread.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
We know the battery pack is 20 modules versus 24, so just that ratio would put it at 275 miles. I think the lighter weight and less aggressive tires will bump it up about 10-15%, so right around 300-315 miles. But large diameter wheels could have an effect in the opposite direction And negate less aggressive tread.
SUV may also be less aerodynamic, typically longer vehicles are better, and the shape of the SUT might be advantageous for aerodynamics, would be interesting to see data..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Grilled salm
Maybe my expectations are too high but I'd be disappointed with a range of 275 and I'm really hoping for closer to 295-300 (or more, of course). Between the difference in size and in power, my thought was it could end up breaking 300 but I was also accounting for GM's miss on the estimated SUT range in assuming it could end up at or below 300. I know folks have been impressed with the mixed driving range of the SUT but I have a fairly long high way commute 1-2 days a week and would prefer to avoid supercharging as much as possible to better maintain battery life.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The site still says estimation of 300+ on Edition 1 SUVs without the extreme off-road package.
Right, but if I remember correctly the SUT estimated 350+ and now is estimated at 329. If the range for the SUV is off by a similar percentage, it would drop to around 282. Not saying that will be the case but I don't think we will know one way or the other for a while.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
756 Posts
To be honest, I think GM could fudge the numbers like Tesla does and hit the 350 mile range easily. I can hit 350 in the real world if I stay to 60 mph and below.
Since the truck is so heavy, they don't have to release EPA numbers anyway. I think GM opted to have the advertised range closer to real world to be encouraging instead of the Tesla way of only being able to hit the rating under very specific circumstances.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Since the truck is so heavy, they don't have to release EPA numbers anyway. I think GM opted to have the advertised range closer to real world to be encouraging instead of the Tesla way of only being able to hit the rating under very specific circumstances.
I am happy on the real world range, one of the HummerEV pleasant surprises...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts