GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting to hear different opinions on that, cause I'm the exact opposite. I like the SUV looks more.

Not mentioning any technical changes, the SUV is just shorter with a roof over the rear. There is no real change to the looks besides the rear end.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks good but I am sticking with the truck. I wonder how if/they are going to tackle the back window getting dirty. My Rubicon, and all new hardtop Wranglers for that matter, have the wiper/washer mounted in the middle. It cleans a nice circular pattern I am sure you have all seen. The new Bronco had a shorter window in the back, much like what I am seeing here on the Hummer SUV. The same wiper configuration on the Bronco puts a comically small circular pattern in the middle.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

Right now I don't think it has one

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

unless it's hidden under the plastic lip of the tiny spoiler before being used.

This may change closer to production

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting to hear different opinions on that, cause I'm the exact opposite. I like the SUV looks more.

Not mentioning any technical changes, the SUV is just shorter with a roof over the rear. There is no real change to the looks besides the rear end.
I’m reserving judgment til I see one in person. Some of the guys that got to see it in person in Dallas said it looked great.

·
Super Moderator
297 Posts
I'm starting to worry about the swinging rear liftgate vs it opening up. I see it becoming a nuisance in parking lots as you will really need some room behind you to open it up especially with the tire on there. I don't see this being able to open fully if someone parks right behind you and personally is driving me crazy thinking about that lack of functionality.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why didn't I think of that?? All of our parking lots have sidewalks between double parking spaces. Must be a common thing now. Hahaha
As the previous owner of a Jeep Liberty which had a side swinging door, I didn’t find it to be a issue, but then again I just pulled straight into parking spaces. But it should swing the other way to allow easier access to the curb as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The H3 had a side swinging door as well. I agree it can be worked around, but definitely an inconvenience none-the-less. There have been a couple times I have considered swapping to the SUV just for the sake of fitting it in my garage, but then this rear door is the #1 thing that turns me off to it and I come back to the truck.

·
Super Moderator
297 Posts
The H3 had a side swinging door as well. I agree it can be worked around, but definitely an inconvenience none-the-less. There have been a couple times I have considered swapping to the SUV just for the sake of fitting it in my garage, but then this rear door is the #1 thing that turns me off to it and I come back to the truck.
Great point. I forgot about the garage situation. I know currently I can open my hatch vertically with the garage door closed. That won't happen anymore having to swing the door out.

·
Administrator
625 Posts
I typically back into spaces so I see it as a huge issue.
GMC had no other choice. It's a dedicated off-roader, so it needs a mounted spare tire. And the only way you can mount a spare tire on the back door that is structurally sound is to make the door swing out instead of up.

Your only other options are putting the tire inside the car, a la H2 (terrible idea), or try some tailgate situation like a Silverado that lets the massive tire crush your knee every time it drops.

·
Registered
216 Posts
GMC had no other choice. It's a dedicated off-roader, so it needs a mounted spare tire. And the only way you can mount a spare tire on the back door that is structurally sound is to make the door swing out instead of up.

Your only other options are putting the tire inside the car, a la H2 (terrible idea), or try some tailgate situation like a Silverado that lets the massive tire crush your knee every time it drops.
That’s a good point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts