GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When GM launches the 2024 Ultium platform vehicles next year we are going to see some new pricing strategies and an emphasis on subscription services for special features. Looking at the HummerEV specifically, I made a list of some things that might come with subscription fees, Can you guys think of other features might carry subscription fees? GM wants to get the average vehicle to just over $100 a month in subscriptions

Of course OnStar, WIFI Hot Spot, and SuperCruise are already bundled at $29 a month after 3 years

What about WTF mode, and WOW on Silverado and BlazerEV? $50 a month?

Extract Mode?

Crab Mode?

Off road trail maps?

Summon?

Dog Mode?

Sentry mode with remote camera access from the app?

What happens when you sell? Like Tesla with FSD, you cannot sell that, as you are buying a license to use it when you buy it, not the actual software.

I hope GM does not nickel and dime for things like heated seats like BMW is doing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When GM launches the 2024 Ultium platform vehicles next year we are going to see some new pricing strategies and an emphasis on subscription services for special features. Looking at the HummerEV specifically, I made a list of some things that might come with subscription fees, Can you guys think of other features might carry subscription fees? GM wants to get the average vehicle to just over $100 a month in subscriptions

Of course OnStar, WIFI Hot Spot, and SuperCruise are already bundled at $29 a month after 3 years

What about WTF mode, and WOW on Silverado and BlazerEV? $50 a month?

Extract Mode?

Crab Mode?

Off road trail maps?

Summon?

Dog Mode?

Sentry mode with remote camera access from the app?

What happens when you sell? Like Tesla with FSD, you cannot sell that, as you are buying a license to use it when you buy it, not the actual software.

I hope GM does not nickel and dime for things like heated seats like BMW is doing.
Hopefully they don't go that far, but there are reports of BMW doing crazy stuff like charging subscriptions now for heated seats use, entertainment, maps, safety features like adaptive cruise or lane keep, etc.

I could see a lot happening like this and my take is in time I'd expect:
1. Advertisements in your car/truck
2. More monthly type subscriptions to things like Super Cruise
3. Add-ons for wifi like now and connectivity; data plans
4. Add-on pricing for different music service app subscriptions
5. Potential features like yes offroad functionality; maybe packaged, i.e. offroad max that gives you terrain mode, extract mode, camera views, etc. no included by default.
6. Max vision package that enables all the camera views
7. Sentry type package that enables recording/security type package monthly
8. Entertainment while parked like enabling netflix/others
9. Gaming enablement if decent chips are used
10. UI/UX skins you can buy, or subscribe to, etc.

Really aren't a lot of limitations with software, and some when you include hardware enablement/disablement also, etc.

At least for the 2022 Hummer, 2023 Hummer, we will be riding on Google Auto still so I hope they optimize it a decent amount, it has all enabled we need/paid for which is good, and then they at least open up the Google store to us more or keep it open to download compatible apps for a while - i.e. Waze, Apple Music/Others, but compatibility becomes the issue there with a weak/old chipset in current trucks.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
585 Posts
I believe only services that require connectivity and updates should be subscriptions. OnStar and SuperCruise definitely fit in that domain. Navigation systems get map updates, so I am OK with that as well. But basic features you buy with the vehicle and do not require connectivity, should not be extra monthly charges.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully they don't go that far, but there are reports of BMW doing crazy stuff like charging subscriptions now for heated seats use, entertainment, maps, safety features like adaptive cruise or lane keep, etc.

I could see a lot happening like this and my take is in time I'd expect:
1. Advertisements in your car/truck
2. More monthly type subscriptions to things like Super Cruise
3. Add-ons for wifi like now and connectivity; data plans
4. Add-on pricing for different music service app subscriptions
5. Potential features like yes offroad functionality; maybe packaged, i.e. offroad max that gives you terrain mode, extract mode, camera views, etc. no included by default.
6. Max vision package that enables all the camera views
7. Sentry type package that enables recording/security type package monthly
8. Entertainment while parked like enabling netflix/others
9. Gaming enablement if decent chips are used
10. UI/UX skins you can buy, or subscribe to, etc.

Really aren't a lot of limitations with software, and some when you include hardware enablement/disablement also, etc.

At least for the 2022 Hummer, 2023 Hummer, we will be riding on Google Auto still so I hope they optimize it a decent amount, it has all enabled we need/paid for which is good, and then they at least open up the Google store to us more or keep it open to download compatible apps for a while - i.e. Waze, Apple Music/Others, but compatibility becomes the issue there with a weak/old chipset in current trucks.
2024 models will come with a new Operating system, still using android automotive for infotainment, but the whole pricing structure will change

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe only services that require connectivity and updates should be subscriptions. OnStar and SuperCruise definitely fit in that domain. Navigation systems get map updates, so I am OK with that as well. But basic features you buy with the vehicle and do not require connectivity, should not be extra monthly charges.
Its going to be a lot more then that changed to subscriptions, I am certain crab, and WTF become subscription on the newer vehicles, and if you
read the fine print in the Silverado and Blazer SS, its obvious WOW is going to be a subscription. Maybe they include 3 years initially, but then charge.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
756 Posts
Its going to be a lot more then that changed to subscriptions, I am certain crab, and WTF become subscription on the newer vehicles, and if you
read the fine print in the Silverado and Blazer SS, its obvious WOW is going to be a subscription. Maybe they include 3 years initially, but then charge.
What fine print are you referring to?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What fine print are you referring to?
Where they list the power, they state with WOW mode, which leaves the door open to make it a subscription, and I know that is the model GM is heading towards. It's possible they include it on the SS for a period and then charge, also possible they make is an option on the other models. I just know GM told investors when Ultifi comes the goal is to average just over $100 in monthly subscriptions per car, then speculating on what those subscriptions will be? I think all the special modes will be packaged as services, maybe all together, maybe all separate?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm struggling to see how they can make crab and WTF mode subscriptions considering they list those as included "features" when you reserve the 3X SUV (and 2X for crab). If it listed them as capabilities or something of that nature then there is room for interpretation but I would feel pretty deceived if I bought the 3X SUV and had to pay a subscription for all the "included features." Or maybe you're referring to future orders and not reservations?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm struggling to see how they can make crab and WTF mode subscriptions considering they list those as included "features" when you reserve the 3X SUV (and 2X for crab). If it listed them as capabilities or something of that nature then there is room for interpretation but I would feel pretty deceived if I bought the 3X SUV and had to pay a subscription for all the "included features." Or maybe you're referring to future orders and not reservations?
They list SuperCruise as well, but its $29 a month after 3 years

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you include the hardware for every option in every car but require a software unlock, don't be surprised when someone introduces a jailbreak to unlock everything.

I get subscribing to Onstar, Wifi, and Supercruise, because those are live services that provide data, updates, etc. that the car itself cannot support independently, but things like heated and cooled seat access, multi zone climate, etc. are features someone can activate with any reliance on outside services. For instance, a lot of Mercedes for almost a decade have had adaptive high beams in Europe and the same hardware in US deliveries, which someone can activate aftermarket so you get the matrix headlights that stay on but black out areas for oncoming cars and reflective signs. So, go ahead and make it possible to have every option jailbroken if I buy a base 3-series.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, but it says exactly that on the page whereas there is no similar parenthetical for the other features (see below). I'm not saying GM won't do it but I'd be unhappy if they did based on how they've marketed it.

View attachment 2572

View attachment 2573
Ya, I agree, but say wait and see... On the Chevys not so much detail on included features

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had lunch w/ the dealership owner when I picked up my HEV and he brought up that in the last few months all the GM leadership comms to dealer owners is that they are planning a really large shift to subscription revenue to support the dealerships as a revenue stream since less people are wanting to buy a vehicle from a sales person and are more moving to online ordering and less contact at delivery.

I can absolutely see cosemetic elements being a subscription or purchasable overtime. Look at the video gaming industry and how many companies have realized that if you give away the game for free and then incorporate paid boosts / skins / etc you can make hundreds of millions of dollars on the consumers. Want the latest cool console layout and graphics.. EASY... click buy in the myGMC app and for $19.99 boom you have a new dashboard layout available. While the 'older' generation may mock and laugh at that, look at the sub 40 yo population and their adoption of micro-transactions in daily life.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you include the hardware for every option in every car but require a software unlock, don't be surprised when someone introduces a jailbreak to unlock everything.

I get subscribing to Onstar, Wifi, and Supercruise, because those are live services that provide data, updates, etc. that the car itself cannot support independently, but things like heated and cooled seat access, multi zone climate, etc. are features someone can activate with any reliance on outside services. For instance, a lot of Mercedes for almost a decade have had adaptive high beams in Europe and the same hardware in US deliveries, which someone can activate aftermarket so you get the matrix headlights that stay on but black out areas for oncoming cars and reflective signs. So, go ahead and make it possible to have every option jailbroken if I buy a base 3-series.
I don't necessarily have an issue with buying a lower trim or otherwise paying less for a car and having the option to subscribe for nonstandard features. For example, I had no interest in Autopilot on my Tesla but I appreciate the ability to subscribe for it in the future if I so choose. GM could potentially do the same for crabwalk or extract on the 2 (don't think the 2X has the capability for WTF) and my assumption is that will be well received since it doesn't list those features as included. I believe that is effectively what BMW is doing with heated seats on lower trim models as well. If it makes economic sense for the manufacturer to include the hardware in every car (including the cost of combatting hackers), then why not let folks upgrade their vehicles over time for a fee?

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
I don't foresee driving features to be subscription based like Crabwalk or WTF mode. I think they are going to nickel and dime us for all the infotainment features. They are already forcing data packages to use the Google operating system in full capacity. SuperCruise is one already requiring a data package. They keep pushing how amazing Energy Assist will be on the Lyriq finding charging stations and planning routes, I can guarantee this is going to be subscription based.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts