GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
441 - 459 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
246 Posts
I don’t know anything about EV charging so bear with me: is 11.5kw limited by the charging unit on the wall or the vehicle? I will obviously get a electrician to install, but will gladly pay for a stronger charging unit if the Hummer can handle it.
Also, can anyone recommend any sites that break down the basics of EV charging?
Limited to what charger is in the Vehicle.

the EVSE is a glorified smart extension cord just doing a hand shake with the charger in the vehicle to say yes I'm connected, yes there are no faults, yes I can provide this amount of power.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I don’t know anything about EV charging so bear with me: is 11.5kw limited by the charging unit on the wall or the vehicle? I will obviously get a electrician to install, but will gladly pay for a stronger charging unit if the Hummer can handle it.
Also, can anyone recommend any sites that break down the basics of EV charging?
Hummer Ev Edition 1 SUT is limited to 11.5kW

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Limited to what charger is in the Vehicle.

the EVSE is a glorified smart extension cord just doing a hand shake with the charger in the vehicle to say yes I'm connected, yes there are no faults, yes I can provide this amount of power.
Exactly, 2023 models will get 19.2kw internal chargers starting from Lyriq. Edition 1 Hummer gets first gen Ultium hardware, Lyriq the next gen, Silverado Ev will get even better hardware, although A/C charging will be limited to 19.2 kW . GM is making changes fast now, if you follow the press releases you will know what is changing and when..

·
Registered
246 Posts
But it will still work for fast charging with public super chargers right?
Yes, that is DC charging
Yes, in very basic terms when you connect to a DC fast charger it bypasses the onboard charger in the vehicle and will communicate with the vehicle to know what speed it can accept, it's charge curve, and other battery state information.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
308 Posts
I don’t know anything about EV charging so bear with me: is 11.5kw limited by the charging unit on the wall or the vehicle?
So there are two considerations, the vehicle and the EVSE. You will get the LOWEST of the two capabilities. I currently have two EVs, Bolt and Mach E. I also have 2 CP Home Flex chargers, both plugged in and limited to 40A (9kW). The Bolt will only accept 7kW, so that is what it charges at. The Mach E will accept 11kW, but due to the CP setting it only charges at 9kW. For me to add yet another 60A or 100A circuit, I would have to upgrade my electrical service box.

I do not currently charge either of my EVs to 100%, the Bolt charges to 90% at home and the Mach E charges to 80% at home. If I am going on a trip I will set it to charge to 100% overnight using my app. That is rare, and I will not be charging the Hummer to 100% on a regular basis either, more likely I will set it to 80%.

What is your normal drive per day? Let's say it is 50 miles. At 11kW the Hummer could add that in 3 hours, or at 9kW it could add that in 4 hours. Easy to do, while you are sleeping. Even if you are going to drive 100 miles, that is still just 6-8 hours to refill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also don't know much about the EV charging but in my minimal research, the Rivian is also only capable of 11.5kw charging rate. This rate is limited by three factors, the wall charger capability, the power source to the wall charger, ie 60A breaker, etc. and most importantly, the rate at which the vehicle can accept the charge. My understanding is that both the Rivian and HummerEV will accept 11.5kw maximim from anything less than a quick charge DC station. As other have stated, most charges will be from 20% to 80%. Not sure about HummerEV times but Rivian time is supposed to take about 10 hours with their 135kw battery for the 20-80% charge.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is it best for the battery to just charge every night, or let it get down to about 20% and then charge up?

referring to home charging

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is it best for the battery to just charge every night, or let it get down to about 20% and then charge up?

referring to home charging
Keep the battery above 20% if you can and have it charge up to 80% while keeping it plugged in often as you can so the BMS can manage the battery, balance it, and keep it at optimal temps using mains power. Don't need the top end of the battery unless you are going on long trips. This will help with battery health and longevity.

As a Volt owner we live by the mantra of ABC. (Always be charging.)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
So there are two considerations, the vehicle and the EVSE. You will get the LOWEST of the two capabilities. I currently have two EVs, Bolt and Mach E. I also have 2 CP Home Flex chargers, both plugged in and limited to 40A (9kW). The Bolt will only accept 7kW, so that is what it charges at. The Mach E will accept 11kW, but due to the CP setting it only charges at 9kW. For me to add yet another 60A or 100A circuit, I would have to upgrade my electrical service box.

I do not currently charge either of my EVs to 100%, the Bolt charges to 90% at home and the Mach E charges to 80% at home. If I am going on a trip I will set it to charge to 100% overnight using my app. That is rare, and I will not be charging the Hummer to 100% on a regular basis either, more likely I will set it to 80%.

What is your normal drive per day? Let's say it is 50 miles. At 11kW the Hummer could add that in 3 hours, or at 9kW it could add that in 4 hours. Easy to do, while you are sleeping. Even if you are going to drive 100 miles, that is still just 6-8 hours to refill.
Great info, thanks!
for battery health its best to charge daily to 80%, and only 100% when you are taking trip. DC charging always 80% max for best battery life

·
Registered
90 Posts
I almost always do 80% in my Tesla and Porsche. I also don’t charge daily but just because I don’t need to. My wife drives the Porsche and it’s charge every couple weeks or so.

441 - 459 of 459 Posts