GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
421 - 440 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Chevy, Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
246 Posts
Ya, I just want to see a closeup of the cable and plug, hopefully the writing. I am just curious who is supplying the parts.

Also all of GM's level 1 and dual level chargers are made by Clipper Creek.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

Also all of GM's level 1 and dual level chargers are made by Clipper Creek.
I am asking about Clipper Creek suppliers... Clipper Creek is actually now owned by Enphase.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am asking about Clipper Creek suppliers... Clipper Creek is actually now owned by Enphase.
Enphase just bought them this November.
Clipper Creek manufactures their products in the US and are UL listed.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Enphase just bought them this November.
Clipper Creek manufactures their products in the US and are UL listed.
I know you are just trying to be helpful, but if I was looking for information you could provide I really would have asked for it. I am looking for much more specific information, and FYI Clipper Creek does not manufacture their own plugs or cables. As a matter of fact Clipper Creek only assembles the parts, almost every part of the charger is made by outside and oversees suppliers. Manufacturing 101, when in doubt, sub it out...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know you are just trying to be helpful, but if I was looking for information you could provide I really would have asked for it. I am looking for much more specific information, and FYI Clipper Creek does not manufacture their own plugs or cables. As a matter of fact Clipper Creek only assembles the parts, almost every part of the charger is made by outside and oversees suppliers. Manufacturing 101, when in doubt, sub it out...
Here are some close up's of the charging plug and the conduit connection. I couldn't find any manufacturer markings on the cable itself. Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
I spoke with my dealer today and got a couple details. It looks like they'll have it in late January. They also said that they were told on a dealer call this morning that Lebron James is getting his Hummer EV on 12/25!

I'm in SE Michigan, so I was fortunate to ride in a Hummer EV yesterday. Was a real pleasure. I couldn't drive it, but did experience all of the features. It is soooo cool (and scary fast). I'm so much more excited to get one. The interior was on par (quality) with my wife's Tesla X - very, very nice. It feels like a truck, but a much better drive than my F250 diesel. Quiet. Smooth. Very tough appearance. Overall, I think it is a bargain at the cost, factoring in all of the features.

My rant (unsolicited opinion) -- I'm annoyed to see all of the posts about people looking to sell (or buy) their Hummer EVs or reservations. These people look like ticket scalpers. If you don't want to keep your EV, find some other way to make your money! If so many people are going to sell them, why should we expect the dealers not to jack up the price? My opinion has no value, but maybe the administrators would consider moving those sales requests to a classified section? Then I can more easily ignore them.

Got the charger this past weekend. It's 11.5kW. At that charge rate, it'll take nearly 20 hours to fully charge. I'd prefer the 19.2kW, so I emailed concierge to inquire. They responded a short while ago and said that the Hummer cannot accept a 19.2kW charger at this time (11.5kW is max). That doesn't sound right. Can anyone confirm that?

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Got the charger this past weekend. It's 11.5kW. At that charge rate, it'll take nearly 20 hours to fully charge. I'd prefer the 19.2kW, so I emailed concierge to inquire. They responded a short while ago and said that the Hummer cannot accept a 19.2kW charger at this time (11.5kW is max). That doesn't sound right. Can anyone confirm that?
the 19.2 kW charger won't be available for the Hummer until the SUV is in production. Right now All Hummers are max at 11.5 kW.

However you shouldn't be going 329 miles a day anyway. You are like most are traveling up to 40 miles a day.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wait are you saying the GM charger won’t be available til then, or that none of the chargers on the market will work to charge it in less than 20 hours? I was thinking it would be possible to plug in at night and get a full charge by morning if my battery was almost depleted

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
Thank you. I agree that I won't be going 329 miles in a day most days. But.... we've had electric vehicles for 5 years and have experienced the sudden need to charge quickly at least a few times. Some evenings we might get lazy and not plug in the car. Then the next day discover that we have an unexpected long drive. That's why it's better to have a faster charger for people like me. Busy lifestyle.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wait are you saying the GM charger won’t be available til then, or that none of the chargers on the market will work to charge it in less than 20 hours? I was thinking it would be possible to plug in at night and get a full charge by morning if my battery was almost depleted
The Onboard Charger for the Hummer EV Edition One is 11.5 kW.

That's 31 miles of range per hour .

Edit: 16 miles per hour

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nebula1701, I think you're incorrect. Take a look at the data sheet I put at post #430. It is what GMC sent to the dealers. It states that the 11.5kw charges 16 miles / hour.
MMM okay so that's new data, previous articles had it around 30 miles an hour.

Charging time will vary though, you aren't starting from 0 and it well depending on battery state and temp.

In any case, yeah the Onboard 19.2 kW charger will not be available for the initial Hummers, it will be available with the SUV, the Lyriq will be the first with the monster 19.2 kW charger under it's hood.

Then you will need to get a 19.2 kW 80 AMP EVSE to mount on the wall for it to make use of the new charger.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
308 Posts
MMM okay so that's new data, previous articles had it around 30 miles an hour.

Charging time will vary though, you aren't starting from 0 and it well depending on battery state and temp.

In any case, yeah the Onboard 19.2 kW charger will not be available for the initial Hummers, it will be available with the SUV, the Lyriq will be the first with with the monster 19.2 kW charger under it's hood.

Then you will need to get a 19.2 kW 80 AMP EVSE to mount on the wall for it to make use of the new charger.
That will require a 100A breaker and you will likely want a 400A service if you are doing that. At least a 200A service minimum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
The 100amp service isn't an issue -- that I could've easily provided.

I just got another confirmation from concierge that the 2022 Hummer EV will not be able to use a 19.2kw. They intend to have it for future models though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don’t know anything about EV charging so bear with me: is 11.5kw limited by the charging unit on the wall or the vehicle? I will obviously get a electrician to install, but will gladly pay for a stronger charging unit if the Hummer can handle it.

Also, can anyone recommend any sites that break down the basics of EV charging?

EdIt: From posts that came while I was typing, it looks like 11.5kw Is the max for my Edition 1 truck. Oh well.

421 - 440 of 459 Posts