GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a sky convertible top on my Edition 1. It replaces front sky panels and the I-bar. I drove it 75 mph closed and the wind noise isn’t much different from sky panels. Drove 55 mph with it open and it doesn’t move. There are Velcro safety straps that wrap around the mechanism if you plan to drive 60+ with it open. So far I like it. Operation is so easy compared to sky panels. Struts on the sides will take some getting used to. This is a GMC accessory.
Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Hood Automotive tire

Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I installed a sky convertible top on my Edition 1. It replaces front sky panels and the I-bar. I drove it 75 mph closed and the wind noise isn’t much different from sky panels. Drove 55 mph with it open and it doesn’t move. There are Velcro safety straps that wrap around the mechanism if you plan to drive 60+ with it open. So far I like it. Operation is so easy compared to sky panels. Struts on the sides will take some getting used to. This is a GMC accessory.
View attachment 2395
View attachment 2393
View attachment 2392
View attachment 2394
Cool, thanks for the update on that.

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
229 Posts
View attachment 2395
View attachment 2393
View attachment 2392
View attachment 2394
Looks good and better engineered than aftermarket ones I've seen on Jeeps/Broncos. Are you able to open it one handed at a stoplight, or does it take a lot of work to open?

·
Registered
115 Posts
thx for sharing i ordered one last fri get hummer this wed so hope they in by then if not dealer is 5mins from my house

View attachment 2394

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
229 Posts
The Bronco
Def nice thanks for sharing, but dont think its 2K nice....
The Bronco-equivalent is $1390 from Ford or $999 direct from Bestop, but sticks up when folded open instead of the z-fold the Hummer top has, so seems logical the Hummer one would be a bit more. Agreed that a $1,500 price point feels more appropriate where you can get a full Jeep or Bronco soft top for $1,449 or $1,849 from Bestop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Def nice thanks for sharing, but dont think its 2K nice....
It's listed for $1,995 on the GMC Accessories site, but you save 20% when you spend over $500. I know we didn't pay $2K, but don't know how much since it was a birthday gift. I DO like it, now that I'm using it. On a sunny day, it's easy to flip open compared to removing the sky panels. I can open and close it from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
898 Posts
It's listed for $1,995 on the GMC Accessories site, but you save 20% when you spend over $500. I know we didn't pay $2K, but don't know how much since it was a birthday gift. I DO like it, now that I'm using it. On a sunny day, it's easy to flip open compared to removing the sky panels. I can open and close it from the driver's seat.
Is there literature that comes with it? I'm curious if there's a recommended maximum speed to be driving when you are opening it, or when it's already open.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there literature that comes with it? I'm curious if there's a recommended maximum speed to be driving when you are opening it, or when it's already open.
There are installation instructions, which I downloaded. The only reference to speed is (and I quote):

"Note: If vehicle is to be driven over 60MPH with the top in the open position. Make sure to use secure the top with the straps (1) provided in kit."

So...straps I use secure if fast I go. :)

Other than that, no reference to maximum speed unless I missed something. It's more of a 'round town kind of top-down experience, not something I'll open on the freeway.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are installation instructions, which I downloaded. The only reference to speed is (and I quote):

"Note: If vehicle is to be driven over 60MPH with the top in the open position. Make sure to use secure the top with the straps (1) provided in kit."

So...straps I use secure if fast I go. :)

Other than that, no reference to maximum speed unless I missed something. It's more of a 'round town kind of top-down experience, not something I'll open on the freeway.
Oh, can you share a link to those install instructions or the PDF? I was curious about getting and installing myself in time - figure it can't be that hard at all since it has to replace a couple skypanels cleanly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Bronco

The Bronco-equivalent is $1390 from Ford or $999 direct from Bestop, but sticks up when folded open instead of the z-fold the Hummer top has, so seems logical the Hummer one would be a bit more. Agreed that a $1,500 price point feels more appropriate where you can get a full Jeep or Bronco soft top for $1,449 or $1,849 from Bestop.
I think Bestop is the manufacturer...My buddy got in the truck and immediately recognized the top as exactly like the top he has on his Jeep, which came from Bestop. Then we did a launch in WTF mode and he stopped talking about his Jeep.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think Bestop is the manufacturer...My buddy got in the truck and immediately recognized the top as exactly like the top he has on his Jeep, which came from Bestop. Then we did a launch in WTF mode and he stopped talking about his Jeep.
WTF is something special, I’m expecting the car to tell me I’m not allowed to do it anymore at some point here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts