GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Sierra-Silverado differences are only skin-deep.

Below are structural profile images of both the Silverado and Sierra Denali. Other than the different structural/aero gusset-sails between the cab and bed, they are almost identical.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
149 Posts
I see a few differences here and there... also looks like they found places to reduce weight on the Sierra.
Yeah, a few differences, mostly cosmetic, plus the added holes in the hood tusks and the C-pillar gusset re-shaping. The A and B pillars, roof and bed profile lines, front structural bumper and drive unit tusks, door opening shapes and hinge mounts, charge port, and seat mounts are all very-close matches. The truck-equivalent to 23andme would probably find about a 90% DNA match:) The Silverado engineering team probably pioneered a lot of the basic structural-bone details, saving the Sierra team a bunch of time that could then be used to optimize the design.

It also helps that Nicole Kraatz, the Silverado EV Chief Engineer, has a new title: "Chief Engineer, Battery Electric Trucks", overseeing all Chevy/GMC BEV truck engineering going forward.

A well-earned upgrade, IMHO:)

· Registered
149 Posts
I was just punching out the new total HP ratings for the Denali and Silverado top trims and working out what the new kW per-motor-rating would be. They were originally rated as 250 kW drive units front and rear. The new kW is 280 kW each, significantly higher than the Hummer's individual motor ratings. And there is no "WTF" pre-prep required to tap that full power, which included pre-ramping up the drive unit cooling loop. That is a major uprating. I'm wondering if the up-rate is just re-rating thanks to additional re-world validating or if they also changed something fundamental...perhaps GM will be slipping Wolfspeed SiC MOSFETs into the ED1 inverters?? Those MOSFETS require about 30% less cooling and improve drive unit efficiency about 1%.

· Registered
149 Posts
Are you sure? GM has described "WOW" mode for the Silverado and Max Power mode for the Sierra.
Are you sure? GM has described "WOW" mode for the Silverado and Max Power mode for the Sierra.
Hmmm,
I thought I read that unlike WTF, Max Power mode required no “prep” and had no time limitation. Just select and go. I’ll double check that when I’m near my computer again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts