GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this would be an interesting trade, give Lucid access to SuperCruise, in trade for Lucid giving GM access to the Wunderbox, and drive unit technology in a non cash, technology trade?

Why it would work for GM, from what I can see GM needs help in EV drive unit and inverter technology, to get weight down, and efficiency up.

Why it would work for Lucid, It seems Lucid needs a lot of help with their dream drive which is currently far less capable than SuperCruise, and maybe GM makes a deal that includes upcoming Ultra Cruise.

GM may think they can just duplicate the engineering of the Lucid system, but I doubt it. GM management thinks cheap cheap cheap, not best in class. Where GM management seems completely lost is if your vehicle is more efficient you need less battery pack to get 300 mile range, so sometimes its better to use some high tech materials and systems to increase efficiency, even if they cost more, as you can then put less battery in each car built. Ford is coming with EV's with engineering led by Doug Field around 2025, let's not forget Doug Field led the engineering on Model 3 and Y, the 2 most efficient, and profitable EV's on the planet. It's going to get harder for GM going forward, not easier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
GM can do efficient when they feel like it. The aging Bolt are the 5th and 6th most efficient EVs on the market.
Font Electric blue Circle Number Screenshot

IMO Ultium platforms were rushed to be compatible with many different vehicles requiring a stronger structure for more powerful vehicles or those needing very good handling with no time for weight optimization, and lighter materials were not used to keep costs down.

They will improve as they scale and bring down costs they can use lighter materials, achieve higher battery energy density, use Silicon Carbide etc.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
436 Posts
GM can do efficient when they feel like it. The aging Bolt are the 5th and 6th most efficient EVs on the market.
View attachment 2193
IMO Ultium platforms were rushed to be compatible with many different vehicles requiring a stronger structure for more powerful vehicles or those needing very good handling with no time for weight optimization, and lighter materials were not used to keep costs down.

They will improve as they scale and bring down costs they can use lighter materials, achieve higher battery energy density, use Silicon Carbide etc.
The issue is the Bolt is a smaller car than the ones ahead of it. And I can tell you the Mach E RWD is better than 3.0, I have an average of 3.7 with 13K miles on mine. That includes a few trips.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 2193

Haha, this is using EPA data AKA garbage... Tesla always consume more in the real world, Lucid far less... Bolt More...

Lucid weighs 5200 lbs and has over 800 HP, AWD, and still far more efficient than Bolt, which is a total economy car. Lucid is doing something right...

Tesla 3-Y, bigger footprint then Bolt, more capacity, more power AWD, and more efficient, same, Tesla is doing something right,

Bolt, terribly inefficient for what it is... Small, low power, FWD, GM is doing something wrong.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue is the Bolt is a smaller car than the ones ahead of it. And I can tell you the Mach E RWD is better than 3.0, I have an average of 3.7 with 13K miles on mine. That includes a few trips.
Mach E is better then Bolt, but you have the low power RWD model Mach E, the more powerful one is less good. My point is GM needs to improve vehicle efficiency, Hummer is awful, but gets a mulligan for what it is, but from the Lyriq forward improvements need to be made in efficiency, mass, and customer experience (packaging-frunks).

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 2193

Come on Todd, so you are saying Gm does not feel like making Blazer an Equinox efficient? I would argue they cannot afford not to... Hummer is low volume you can get away with so so engineering, but on the high volume products, you need to get it right, and efficiency is super important on EV's, more efficient = Less battery, less battery = less weight, and even more efficiency, better handling, more pleasurable to drive car. Aerodynamic improvements, lower rolling resistance, more efficient powertrain, and mass reduction should all be high priorities. Batteries are expensive, the less you carry the cheaper your car (or more profitable).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts