GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on whether the new Hummer will have a feature like Sentry Mode on the Teslas? It would also be great if you could have the cameras continuously record and store the last 10 minutes of footage for driving incidents like an aftermarket dash camera. This would be a very useful feature for protection as well as insurance claims against hit and runs etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Any thoughts on whether the new Hummer will have a feature like Sentry Mode on the Teslas? It would also be great if you could have the cameras continuously record and store the last 10 minutes of footage for driving incidents like an aftermarket dash camera. This would be a very useful feature for protection as well as insurance claims against hit and runs etc.

That would be a good feature to add, not sure if the Hummer EV will come with it, however the aftermarket will likely add it if GM doesn't. Hummer EV infotainment is based on Android Auto and will have a 3rd party app store with features available to purchase. I hope GM cameras are better than Tesla's, I have a Y, and the images from those cameras are like taking a step back in time, and are not up to modern expected quality.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our 2016 Model X had just a rear camera, but it was of much higher quality than the assorted cameras on our Model Y.

I would be shocked if GM does not implement DVR functionality for all the cameras on the Hummer. Everything needed is already there, just do it. Then again, lots of vehicles on the market from GM, Ford, etc.. with all the cameras and hardware needed to do it and they don’t implement. Probably because some guy in a suit assumes, correctly, that people wouldn’t want to pay a monthly subscription for it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Our 2016 Model X had just a rear camera, but it was of much higher quality than the assorted cameras on our Model Y.

I would be shocked if GM does not implement DVR functionality for all the cameras on the Hummer. Everything needed is already there, just do it. Then again, lots of vehicles on the market from GM, Ford, etc.. with all the cameras and hardware needed to do it and they don’t implement. Probably because some guy in a suit assumes, correctly, that people wouldn’t want to pay a monthly subscription for it.
Yes, the hardware exists in the GM vehicle and I assume the new electrical architecture has the capability, so its just software. I know GM is setting up apps that can be purchased in their future models, and since all of the new models use the same electrical architecture, some finite lines of computer code enable a feature for all the models.

Tesla's front and side facing cameras are the poor quality ones, it is because the format is optimized for the A/P data, this is why GM installs separate cameras for surround views, keep the cameras separate so each can be optimized for the job at hand. Seems redundant hardware wise, but GM is more concerned with user experience than they are with cutting part count. One other thing I Hate Hate Hate on the Model Y is the phone as a key, it only works as intended about 50% of the time, and other times I have to remove my phone from my pocket and unlock the phone (sucks when you have a mask on leaving a store), then the car unlocks. I have Apple, but talking to friends that use Android, they have the same issues to varying degrees. My other vehicles have traditional key fobs and work as intended 99.9% of the time. I never touch my key fob from our 2019 Audi E-Tron, or our 2020 GMC pickup, they just work as intended every time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah not sure about the phone as a key... 4 of us in our house and all have our phones set as a key for the Y. Mine and our kids phones work flawlessly, my wife’s is constantly a problem. It’s predominantly her daily driver so we got her a fob anyway. No problems with the fob as it works as it should. The key cards are handy to keep in your wallet but a pain if you need to use one.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah not sure about the phone as a key... 4 of us in our house and all have our phones set as a key for the Y. Mine and our kids phones work flawlessly, my wife’s is constantly a problem. It’s predominantly her daily driver so we got her a fob anyway. No problems with the fob as it works as it should. The key cards are handy to keep in your wallet but a pain if you need to use one.
Yes, the key card is a pain in the ... I love tech and love ideas that make our life more convenient, but the phone as a key just did not solve a problem that had not already been solved, and instead created a new problem. I live in an area that rains a lot, and it seems every time I come out of a store in the rain, the phone does not connect to the car quick enough, so I have to pull the phone out, remove my mask so face id works, and then enter the car. The Model Y has a few of these frustrations, that take away from an overall good car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts