GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Edition 1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else on here who received their vehicle have issues with the Roof Panels?

From day 1, my truck has rather substantial and unacceptable squeak & creaking noises coming from all the roof panels when driving over standard roads. This is a great vehicle worth the wait; however, I'm not sure if it's the roof panels poor quality or poor engineering design. Ether way, I'm certain it's not acceptable for any new vehicle - especially one at this price point.

I will of course address with dealer but just curious. Thx

·
Registered
Edition 1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I cleaned and applied a silicon lubricant which did help for first 2 days. The sound came back to the point I became embarrassed with a passenger. So I stopped and reseated the panels which helped a bit but not enough. I'll try one more round of lubricant or send back to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue on mine. Had it to my Dealer in McKinney, TX yesterday and the Service guys is going to research it for me. He said they had a similar problem on the new Corvette sunroof-- he did say to be careful about adding lubricant, some of them can turn the weather stripping white'ish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone else on here who received their vehicle have issues with the Roof Panels?

From day 1, my truck has rather substantial and unacceptable squeak & creaking noises coming from all the roof panels when driving over standard roads. This is a great vehicle worth the wait; however, I'm not sure if it's the roof panels poor quality or poor engineering design. Ether way, I'm certain it's not acceptable for any new vehicle - especially one at this price point.

Had the same problem- they did some research for a similar problem that the new Corvette has. They treated mine last week and I have gone over a week with no issues. Have your dealership call GMC of McKinney (Texas) and talk to Rob Barth, he is the Hummer designated Service Guy- he can explain to your service guy what he did.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Was the dealer able to repair the noise? Mine makes a constant popping noise too. It’s much worst when the vehicle heats up from the sun.
Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the tool kit that comes with the truck, try tightening the panels with the provided allen wrench (pretty sure it was an allen)
I tightened the I Bar which wasn't fully tightened on mine, is that where you mean or are there other places that need tightening? I only get the noise after it sits in the sun. It was much better after the tightening, but not gone. It's definitely a rattle and not just a squeak so not sure how much I'll get from lubricating the seals, but I'll try that next if suggested.

·
Registered
GMC Gas / Diesel / EV Technician
60 Posts
I tightened the I Bar which wasn't fully tightened on mine, is that where you mean or are there other places that need tightening? I only get the noise after it sits in the sun. It was much better after the tightening, but not gone. It's definitely a rattle and not just a squeak so not sure how much I'll get from lubricating the seals, but I'll try that next if suggested.
Yea that was the place I meant. The sun makes it happen to every single one Ive driven especially here in Arizona. I think its inherent to removable roof panels. I haven’t tried to lubricate one and I would worry about what that may do to the seal, and GM to my knowledge doesn’t have a recommended product to try on the Hummers. I would use what others on this forum have used at your own discretion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts