GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,105 Posts
and we have seen for the EVGO charger photo above 303kw for the Hummer.
Something strange happens occasionally with EA and the Truck. This was the second charge I had where the status in the EA app got bugged out. The strange thing is the app for the truck also stops getting updates on charge level at about the same time. Each of those sessions I ended up getting charged zero dollars. I was hoping I'd be able to reconcile the total amount of energy used through the charging apps, but it had been so inconsistent with these strange issues that I can't do it that way. This particular charge ended up as 150kWh delivered in 1 hr 6 minutes according to the station. 17-82%
Font Material property Rectangle Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
24 Posts
What SoC do you plan on charging to? Going to 100% will also take the Rivian 90 minutes, if you look at the curve Kyle Conner did for 0 to 100%. The Hummer is less efficient than the Rivian, but the charging is also higher in the Hummer, and from what I have seen so far, both seem to taper at about the same point, we will know more details when Kyle does a fast charging test on the Hummer. The highest rate seen on the Rivian was 197kw, and we have seen for the EVGO charger photo above 303kw for the Hummer. It is likely there will only be a 10-20% time difference in charging to 60%. Both will be under 30 minutes if you do 10-60% charge, because both are charging at greater than 1C in that SoC range.

What I have personally found for my Mach E, the optimum charging points for trips would be 10-60% which gives me 150 miles to get to the next charger, or to skip one and go to a second one. Since the Rivian and Hummer both start to taper a lot at that point (60%), I think it would be the right point for those trucks as well. For me, in Arizona, so far my longest distance between chargers has been 160 miles and on one of my trips I went 180 miles, skipping a charger on my first leg (starting at 100%). Most EA chargers along interstates are 70-120 miles apart.

I know that everyone wants to compare all the new vehicle charging curves to the Etron, but the fact is that the Etron needs to be charged to a higher SoC for the same amount of miles, it is basically a 200 miles range versus many of the newer ones at 300 miles. For my Bolt, the optimum time to stop charging was typically 70% because of the lower range and slower charging. The Bolt starts to taper at 50%.
I have been driving EVs for a long time, owner of multiple. I've also been watching all the EV pieces including Rivian charging YouTube videos et al.. the large pack battery in the Hummer will make charging to 100% not reasonable. I never charge to 100% on long trips anyway, usually just to 85% or 90% depending on how well it's going.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
What SoC do you plan on charging to? Going to 100% will also take the Rivian 90 minutes, if you look at the curve Kyle Conner did for 0 to 100%. The Hummer is less efficient than the Rivian, but the charging is also higher in the Hummer, and from what I have seen so far, both seem to taper at about the same point, we will know more details when Kyle does a fast charging test on the Hummer. The highest rate seen on the Rivian was 197kw, and we have seen for the EVGO charger photo above 303kw for the Hummer. It is likely there will only be a 10-20% time difference in charging to 60%. Both will be under 30 minutes if you do 10-60% charge, because both are charging at greater than 1C in that SoC range.

What I have personally found for my Mach E, the optimum charging points for trips would be 10-60% which gives me 150 miles to get to the next charger, or to skip one and go to a second one. Since the Rivian and Hummer both start to taper a lot at that point (60%), I think it would be the right point for those trucks as well. For me, in Arizona, so far my longest distance between chargers has been 160 miles and on one of my trips I went 180 miles, skipping a charger on my first leg (starting at 100%). Most EA chargers along interstates are 70-120 miles apart.

I know that everyone wants to compare all the new vehicle charging curves to the Etron, but the fact is that the Etron needs to be charged to a higher SoC for the same amount of miles, it is basically a 200 miles range versus many of the newer ones at 300 miles. For my Bolt, the optimum time to stop charging was typically 70% because of the lower range and slower charging. The Bolt starts to taper at 50%.
The point on comparing to the E-Tron is the flat charging curve is the best for the user experience... Sometimes the charger is not where you want it to be so you have to stop at 30-40%, and charge all the way. There is no reason others have not matched the E-Tron charging curve other then bad thermal management design. So your Mach E should have the good charging curve and more efficient (its smaller, lighter, does not handles well, and is far less luxurious).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dealer told me within "Two Weeks" on Friday. We had a vacation planned, leaving this Friday evening but I decided to push it off, for unrelated reasons. Had originally planned on using my Polestar 2 since it gets free 30 minute charging at EA stations. Wish GM would have done the same thing, trip with the Hummer is likely to actually be kind of expensive, especially compared to free.

I have a Polestar as well with the included 2 years at EA stations. What prevents you from being able to use the Hummer to charge for the free 30 minutes instead of the Polestar?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I suspect we'll see national hotel chains offering charging stations so people can plan road trips with nightly stays.

Eventually battery packs will be modularized and standardized; today's gas stations will become battery exchange stations where you drive over a floor pit and a robot replaces 1+ of your battery packs with fully charged ones.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I suspect we'll see national hotel chains offering charging stations so people can plan road trips with nightly stays.

Eventually battery packs will be modularized and standardized; today's gas stations will become battery exchange stations where you drive over a floor pit and a robot replaces 1+ of your battery packs with fully charged ones.
No battery swap in the USA... People here own their battery, and don't want the risk of getting a less healthy one at a swap. Not to mention more cars now come with structural battery packs, cannot be easily removed and installed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
No battery swap in the USA... People here own their battery, and don't want the risk of getting a less healthy one at a swap. Not to mention more cars now come with structural battery packs, cannot be easily removed and installed.
Yeah! I don't want your stinking DC frequently abused battery for my trickle charged healthy babied battery! ;-).

Charging will continue to improve. Remember, its only like 1% of your driving or so that is on a road trip where you actually need to charge versus at home each day/night.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,105 Posts

I definitely don't want someone else's abused battery. No thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm certain they record what vehicle you use on the plan but I know early on it would still activate the plan/charger with the wrong vehicle plugged in. It's possible they fixed it.
It doesn't matter. There are limits in place between charges on this plan. I feel that an "ethics" take is a bit extreme and doesn't have a sound basis. What are you going to do, drive your Polestar to EA and charge for 30 minutes, then drive home and bring your Hummer EV back after the lockout period for another 30 minutes? Rinse, repeat all day long until 100% Come on. No one's living that long. 😂

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
It doesn't matter. There are limits in place between charges on this plan. I feel that an "ethics" take is a bit extreme and doesn't have a sound basis. What are you going to do, drive your Polestar to EA and charge for 30 minutes, then drive home and bring your Hummer EV back after the lockout period for another 30 minutes? Rinse, repeat all day long until 100% Come on. No one's living that long. 😂
Where I live there are 12 EA locations within 15 minutes, so easier to cheat. I am blown away though charging the Hummer on EV-GO $7.25 for 98 kWh, EV-GO's by the minute charging is great for the Hummer.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts