GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone else worried about the prospect of taking their Hummer EV on road trips? Its massive battery and low efficiency have me concerned.

I plan to do a lot of road trips and I'm not sure if the Hummer EV would be the right choice for that. With the truck weighing ~$9K lbs (double the weight of my Model Y), and obvious not-so-great aerodynamics, I am quite concerned.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
If i were still doing frequent road trips (1000mi+), i would not get the Hummer EV truck. i gave exactly that scenario a lot of thought before signing up the the EV3X truck. i am not doing those trips anymore. my road trip vehicle since 1994 has been Toyota Land Cruiser.. getting a new one every 10 years (year 8 now of the third one). same mileage out of a tank of gas (about 300+) but with 10 minute refill stops and sometimes being in places with no gas for 150 miles (Nevada). in my opinion, the Hummer EV Truck is not the vehicle for that lifestyle. i would not want it as the vehicle for camping either (even though they market it with that cool looking tent setup). do you really want to go camping for a week somewhere not knowing for sure you will be able to start up when getting ready to leave? However, i am really excited about getting the Hummer EV truck ... i will get rid of my Land Cruiser and my Chevy Silverado 2500HD at the same time. the hummer ev truck will be great for what i need now.... i just don't think it is the right choice yet for serious "road trips" (especially if those are to isolated/remote places)

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,105 Posts
do you really want to go camping for a week somewhere not knowing for sure you will be able to start up when getting ready to leave?
Sure, but what does this have to do with having an EV exactly? Vampire drain on my Bolt EV was extremely low. It could sit for three weeks and not lose more than 1-2%, provided the weather wasn't at an extreme.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sure, but what does this have to do with having an EV exactly?
not a problem as long as i am able to get from charging station to camp site and back a week (or two) later. as more EV charging stations exist, everything EV will be easier. for now, there simply is not the same availability to charge an EV in remote locations as there is to fill a car with gas.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,578 Posts
Sure, but what does this have to do with having an EV exactly? Vampire drain on my Bolt EV was extremely low. It could sit for three weeks and not lose more than 1-2%, provided the weather wasn't at an extreme.
Also a 200 kWh battery is plenty large enough to power a full house for several days. Using it on a Camping trip would not really touch the battery powering small devices or other camping gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I ordered my hummer to my local dealer in Dallas, But plan on driving it out to the Outer banks of NC after taking delivery. I normally take I-20 through the southern states up 95. But looking at the electrify America map, I will either need to take the northern route through Arkansas and Tennessee, or the long way around and head south to I-10 and hit 95 in Florida. There are no chargers on I-20 between Dallas and Birmingham Al. So that route is out for now.

Dealer tells me im 2-3 weeks from delivery so will report how my trip goes, its about 1400 miles. Ive done it what feels like about 100 times it feels like in my company GMC Sierra 3500 or my TRX. The TRX was about the same range (I get maybe around 300 miles a tank) so it should be comparable. Ive never owned an EV before so will be interesting dealing with charging for sure.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
820 Posts
If i were still doing frequent road trips (1000mi+), i would not get the Hummer EV truck. i gave exactly that scenario a lot of thought before signing up the the EV3X truck. i am not doing those trips anymore. my road trip vehicle since 1994 has been Toyota Land Cruiser.. getting a new one every 10 years (year 8 now of the third one). same mileage out of a tank of gas (about 300+) but with 10 minute refill stops and sometimes being in places with no gas for 150 miles (Nevada). in my opinion, the Hummer EV Truck is not the vehicle for that lifestyle. i would not want it as the vehicle for camping either (even though they market it with that cool looking tent setup). do you really want to go camping for a week somewhere not knowing for sure you will be able to start up when getting ready to leave? However, i am really excited about getting the Hummer EV truck ... i will get rid of my Land Cruiser and my Chevy Silverado 2500HD at the same time. the hummer ev truck will be great for what i need now.... i just don't think it is the right choice yet for serious "road trips" (especially if those are to isolated/remote places)
I have a Mach E that works great for longer road trips, and would use that for something really long. The Mach E is actually more efficient than my Bolt is at highway speeds, 70-75 mph. I just took a trip Phoenix to Tucson and got 3.5mile/kWh and the speed limits in AZ are 75. I have done the same trip in the Bolt and it got 3.3 mile/kWh, even though it is lighter and smaller. @Dark-Fx, I saw my first Polestar at the EA charger in Tucson.

The infrastructure for charging has improved a lot in Arizona and the power company, APS, has partnered with Electrify America to install chargers in remote areas like Prescott, Sedona, Globe, Payson and Showlow. So camping trips in the Hummer will be easy. The Showlow sight is ready to be powered up.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Dealer told me within "Two Weeks" on Friday. We had a vacation planned, leaving this Friday evening but I decided to push it off, for unrelated reasons. Had originally planned on using my Polestar 2 since it gets free 30 minute charging at EA stations. Wish GM would have done the same thing, trip with the Hummer is likely to actually be kind of expensive, especially compared to free.
As long as the dealer can get the truck back to us in a bit over a week, we will be taking it on our road trip. Plan is to drive down through Nashville, Montgomery, and come back east through Tallahassee instead of the straight shot down I-75. We are taking 5 days to get down there, so lots of overnight charging. One thing that's going to be interesting is trying to plan out charging stops based on the amount of time we're spending at overnight L2 stops. Current plan has us at 1541 miles for the first half of the trip. One travel day, we might actually be able to skip stopping at a fast charger since our activity has an L2.

On a 32A EVSE, the Hummer will struggle to even get a half charge in a typical overnight. I'm planning on trying to use a teslatap on tesla destination chargers since those tend to be either 40A or higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How did the trip work out?

A lot of people forget; this is largely an off-road vehicle. But unless you plan to constantly just run trails around your house, there is typically some sort of road trip involved to get to decent off-road areas.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
How did the trip work out?

A lot of people forget; this is largely an off-road vehicle. But unless you plan to constantly just run trails around your house, there is typically some sort of road trip involved to get to decent off-road areas.
It's going pretty well so far. Today's sort of issue was actually spending too much time at the chargers while eating lunch and going through the Corvette museum. 42 to 92% in 64 minutes, 117 kWh delivered. Something strange with the EA stations that charge based on time because that charge only cost us $16.52, and we went way into the level of charge with a hard taper. Still hit 235kW on that charge, only actually needed about 10 minutes to get to our destination from there but it's not like I am walking back out to move the truck when I was the only one charging.

4 different EA stations, every experience with them was flawless except for the app getting confused through one of the sessions. Still haven't been charged for that one yet. Plug in, unlock phone, hover over the NFC reader and bam, charging.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Just got home. I'll try to do a longer write-up sometime in the next few days when I get some time. Overall the truck was an A+. Charging experience was an A-. No real trip stopping issues, just inconveniences, some resulting from inconsiderate EV drivers.
View attachment 2007
Looking forward to your report... Did you run into EV chargers blocked by EV's not charging? That happens a lot around here, usually Tesla's or Bolt's

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Looking forward to your report... Did you run into EV chargers blocked by EV's not charging? That happens a lot around here, usually Tesla's or Bolt's
Technically. An EQS that was plugged in at 100% with no-one there. Other than that specific instance, not once. Personally I was actually surprised at how well the charging went. Don't tell my wife, or she might not be a willing participant on our next road trip. I think it helps that EA seems to have their stations default to being free when they are working, but having network issues. One of our DCFC charges was on a 62.5/125 charge point, two were on 350kW EVGo, the rest were on 350kW EA stations. I had plugged into a 50kW EVGo station, but it was so slow it was practically useless.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Technically. An EQS that was plugged in at 100% with no-one there. Other than that specific instance, not once. Personally I was actually surprised at how well the charging went. Don't tell my wife, or she might not be a willing participant on our next road trip. I think it helps that EA seems to have their stations default to being free when they are working, but having network issues. One of our DCFC charges was on a 62.5/125 charge point, two were on 350kW EVGo, the rest were on 350kW EA stations. I had plugged into a 50kW EVGo station, but it was so slow it was practically useless.
Were the 350kW EVGO the new Signet Units?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will be doing a road trip in my R1S likely before the Hummer SUV but having done a couple road trips in my Tesla with the whole fam just for fun and to get the feet wet for the kids I can say unequivocally that I will have no problems in the R1S but I do share the concerns of the Hummer. I worry with the large battery that my kids may get more dissatisfied with the consistent stopping and longer side quests. In the Tesla and what imagine for the the Rivian I won't need to take 90+ minutes of stepping aside.. Hummer.. hmm.. jury is out. But it's totally cool for me if we only ever take it camping vs on longer 8+ hour trips.. I'll be keeping the Raptor so at the end of the day it's not 100% necessary for me to have this be a road trip vehicle although it would be nice to do it from time to time.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
820 Posts
imagine for the the Rivian I won't need to take 90+ minutes of stepping aside.
What SoC do you plan on charging to? Going to 100% will also take the Rivian 90 minutes, if you look at the curve Kyle Conner did for 0 to 100%. The Hummer is less efficient than the Rivian, but the charging is also higher in the Hummer, and from what I have seen so far, both seem to taper at about the same point, we will know more details when Kyle does a fast charging test on the Hummer. The highest rate seen on the Rivian was 197kw, and we have seen for the EVGO charger photo above 303kw for the Hummer. It is likely there will only be a 10-20% time difference in charging to 60%. Both will be under 30 minutes if you do 10-60% charge, because both are charging at greater than 1C in that SoC range.

What I have personally found for my Mach E, the optimum charging points for trips would be 10-60% which gives me 150 miles to get to the next charger, or to skip one and go to a second one. Since the Rivian and Hummer both start to taper a lot at that point (60%), I think it would be the right point for those trucks as well. For me, in Arizona, so far my longest distance between chargers has been 160 miles and on one of my trips I went 180 miles, skipping a charger on my first leg (starting at 100%). Most EA chargers along interstates are 70-120 miles apart.

I know that everyone wants to compare all the new vehicle charging curves to the Etron, but the fact is that the Etron needs to be charged to a higher SoC for the same amount of miles, it is basically a 200 miles range versus many of the newer ones at 300 miles. For my Bolt, the optimum time to stop charging was typically 70% because of the lower range and slower charging. The Bolt starts to taper at 50%.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts