GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
816 Posts
I saw an example on one of these threads where a Hummer charged at an average of 230kw from 30-67%. Below 30% should provide an even higher average. That is better than 1C rate so I think 150 miles in 30 minutes should be expected if you start at a lower SoC (i.e 10 to 30%).

EA has a goal of an average of 70-120 miles between chargers. So you will want to plan your stops based on that, unless you are in some charging desert. Also with 800V charging, you are less likely to experience the lower power due to current limits on some of the chargers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The energy assist's suggestions were pretty useless in the Bolt. It assumed optimal conditions, which are never the case, especially talking about highway consumption. Drive 80 mph and you automatically lose at least 25% off the EPA range in otherwise optimal conditions.
They may have improved it recently, but I have not validated it in my Bolt. I have seen it give me something like 2.6mile/kWh estimated for a trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, which is a 6000 ft elevation change with 75mph speed limits. I know I can get better than that, for example going to Tucson, with no elevation change and the same speeds is better than 3 mile/kWh. But it does not let me enter a higher speed.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Rivian just sent out an OTA update that improved the Charging curve in cold weather.
Cold weather fixes do not bump the curve up, they only allow the slow charging at cold temps to ramp up faster. Even my lowly Bolt got an update like that a couple of years ago, but it still did not change the regular charging curve. I did get a better charging curve with my new Bolt battery, but it improves the charging after 50%, it did not increase the peak rate at all.

The Hummer does have a battery preconditioning button on the center display, so that will help for cold weather charging.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If i were still doing frequent road trips (1000mi+), i would not get the Hummer EV truck. i gave exactly that scenario a lot of thought before signing up the the EV3X truck. i am not doing those trips anymore. my road trip vehicle since 1994 has been Toyota Land Cruiser.. getting a new one every 10 years (year 8 now of the third one). same mileage out of a tank of gas (about 300+) but with 10 minute refill stops and sometimes being in places with no gas for 150 miles (Nevada). in my opinion, the Hummer EV Truck is not the vehicle for that lifestyle. i would not want it as the vehicle for camping either (even though they market it with that cool looking tent setup). do you really want to go camping for a week somewhere not knowing for sure you will be able to start up when getting ready to leave? However, i am really excited about getting the Hummer EV truck ... i will get rid of my Land Cruiser and my Chevy Silverado 2500HD at the same time. the hummer ev truck will be great for what i need now.... i just don't think it is the right choice yet for serious "road trips" (especially if those are to isolated/remote places)
I have a Mach E that works great for longer road trips, and would use that for something really long. The Mach E is actually more efficient than my Bolt is at highway speeds, 70-75 mph. I just took a trip Phoenix to Tucson and got 3.5mile/kWh and the speed limits in AZ are 75. I have done the same trip in the Bolt and it got 3.3 mile/kWh, even though it is lighter and smaller. @Dark-Fx, I saw my first Polestar at the EA charger in Tucson.

The infrastructure for charging has improved a lot in Arizona and the power company, APS, has partnered with Electrify America to install chargers in remote areas like Prescott, Sedona, Globe, Payson and Showlow. So camping trips in the Hummer will be easy. The Showlow sight is ready to be powered up.

·
Registered
816 Posts
imagine for the the Rivian I won't need to take 90+ minutes of stepping aside.
What SoC do you plan on charging to? Going to 100% will also take the Rivian 90 minutes, if you look at the curve Kyle Conner did for 0 to 100%. The Hummer is less efficient than the Rivian, but the charging is also higher in the Hummer, and from what I have seen so far, both seem to taper at about the same point, we will know more details when Kyle does a fast charging test on the Hummer. The highest rate seen on the Rivian was 197kw, and we have seen for the EVGO charger photo above 303kw for the Hummer. It is likely there will only be a 10-20% time difference in charging to 60%. Both will be under 30 minutes if you do 10-60% charge, because both are charging at greater than 1C in that SoC range.

What I have personally found for my Mach E, the optimum charging points for trips would be 10-60% which gives me 150 miles to get to the next charger, or to skip one and go to a second one. Since the Rivian and Hummer both start to taper a lot at that point (60%), I think it would be the right point for those trucks as well. For me, in Arizona, so far my longest distance between chargers has been 160 miles and on one of my trips I went 180 miles, skipping a charger on my first leg (starting at 100%). Most EA chargers along interstates are 70-120 miles apart.

I know that everyone wants to compare all the new vehicle charging curves to the Etron, but the fact is that the Etron needs to be charged to a higher SoC for the same amount of miles, it is basically a 200 miles range versus many of the newer ones at 300 miles. For my Bolt, the optimum time to stop charging was typically 70% because of the lower range and slower charging. The Bolt starts to taper at 50%.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts