GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Anyone else worried about the prospect of taking their Hummer EV on road trips? Its massive battery and low efficiency have me concerned.

I currently have a Model Y, which has a 82 kWh battery pack and can get me around 250 mile range. The Hummer EV has a ~200 kWh battery pack and closer to 300 miles range. You never really get the full range they state.

Right now; on road trip with the Model Y I stop on average about every 150-200 miles and it take me about 30 minutes to charge to do that over again. Remind you that this is with very quick Tesla superchargers. It can average about 100-150 kW charge rate.

So when I think about the Hummer, how would it compare... So we have 2.5x the battery capacity, and the Hummer must charge on typically much slower chargers. Even top tier Electrify America chargers have been know to only pump out 50-100 kW.

So now that 30 minute charge with my Model Y, now takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to charge up a Hummer. On top of that; public charging stations are more expensive per kWh of charge than Tesla super chargers. So now the cost of charging has also gone up by a factor of 2 to 3. Yes; the Hummer EV's will have 300-350 kWh charging capability, but seeing that in reality and not just on paper are two totally different things.

I plan to do a lot of road trips and I'm not sure if the Hummer EV would be the right choice for that. With the truck weighing ~$9K lbs (double the weight of my Model Y), and obvious not-so-great aerodynamics, I am quite concerned.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Model Y which I have, does not go 200 miles after your first stop, and at the average supercharger does not charge 10 -90% in 30 minutes.

V3 superchargers are few and far between so we are mostly stuck at <150kW max rate chargers, and if the stations is busy they are max 75kW because all those supercharger stations share plugs.

Yes, Hummer is bigger, less efficient and has a huge battery, and EA stations do not have 100% reliability, more like 90% although my experience has been 100% at EA stations in my limited experience with my E-Tron, which by the way still has the best charging curve of any EV out there for the most customers, does not matter if you plug in at 10% or 50%, you still get max charge rate all the way to 80% of 150 kW.

Comparing Model Y (economy car) to Hummer Ev (luxury off road truck) is a bit of a silly comparison. If you want to do that comparison, lets try with 5 adults inside, maybe some hauling and trailering, and a little off roading, to make the comparison fair. I would bet people buying Hummer have more then 1 vehicle, and if they are going cross country, may not choose it for that. BTW, we don't take our Sierra 2500HD Denali on road trips either even though it has over 700 miles of highway range and fuels in 5 minutes. There is no EV made that could keep up with it on a road trip, it could tow a trailer and beat a Lucid Air across the country by a lot. That might be an idea for an upcoming youtube video, a Lucid Air driving, and one on a trailer behind an HD diesel pickups, see who gets across the country first.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I have similar concerns, but I don't have the experience you do with EV. My 2nd home is about 220 miles away and I have a 48A charger there, too, so I think I'll be fine for my weekend trips. But I also want to drive to Nashville from Detroit in the spring. Thats ~600 miles, or at least 2 charge stops. How would that work? Find a charge station and go shop/eat 2-3 hours each time? I'm trying to figure out the logistics.
I would look at your specific trips and map them plug share, to see where the chargers are, most times on a road trip you are not taking a full charge, but maybe just enough to complete the road trip, but this is very user specific, so you have to look at your trips you would take the Hummer on, and see how it work for you.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Just got home. I'll try to do a longer write-up sometime in the next few days when I get some time. Overall the truck was an A+. Charging experience was an A-. No real trip stopping issues, just inconveniences, some resulting from inconsiderate EV drivers.
View attachment 2007
Looking forward to your report... Did you run into EV chargers blocked by EV's not charging? That happens a lot around here, usually Tesla's or Bolt's

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Technically. An EQS that was plugged in at 100% with no-one there. Other than that specific instance, not once. Personally I was actually surprised at how well the charging went. Don't tell my wife, or she might not be a willing participant on our next road trip. I think it helps that EA seems to have their stations default to being free when they are working, but having network issues. One of our DCFC charges was on a 62.5/125 charge point, two were on 350kW EVGo, the rest were on 350kW EA stations. I had plugged into a 50kW EVGo station, but it was so slow it was practically useless.
Were the 350kW EVGO the new Signet Units?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
What SoC do you plan on charging to? Going to 100% will also take the Rivian 90 minutes, if you look at the curve Kyle Conner did for 0 to 100%. The Hummer is less efficient than the Rivian, but the charging is also higher in the Hummer, and from what I have seen so far, both seem to taper at about the same point, we will know more details when Kyle does a fast charging test on the Hummer. The highest rate seen on the Rivian was 197kw, and we have seen for the EVGO charger photo above 303kw for the Hummer. It is likely there will only be a 10-20% time difference in charging to 60%. Both will be under 30 minutes if you do 10-60% charge, because both are charging at greater than 1C in that SoC range.

What I have personally found for my Mach E, the optimum charging points for trips would be 10-60% which gives me 150 miles to get to the next charger, or to skip one and go to a second one. Since the Rivian and Hummer both start to taper a lot at that point (60%), I think it would be the right point for those trucks as well. For me, in Arizona, so far my longest distance between chargers has been 160 miles and on one of my trips I went 180 miles, skipping a charger on my first leg (starting at 100%). Most EA chargers along interstates are 70-120 miles apart.

I know that everyone wants to compare all the new vehicle charging curves to the Etron, but the fact is that the Etron needs to be charged to a higher SoC for the same amount of miles, it is basically a 200 miles range versus many of the newer ones at 300 miles. For my Bolt, the optimum time to stop charging was typically 70% because of the lower range and slower charging. The Bolt starts to taper at 50%.
The point on comparing to the E-Tron is the flat charging curve is the best for the user experience... Sometimes the charger is not where you want it to be so you have to stop at 30-40%, and charge all the way. There is no reason others have not matched the E-Tron charging curve other then bad thermal management design. So your Mach E should have the good charging curve and more efficient (its smaller, lighter, does not handles well, and is far less luxurious).

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I suspect we'll see national hotel chains offering charging stations so people can plan road trips with nightly stays.

Eventually battery packs will be modularized and standardized; today's gas stations will become battery exchange stations where you drive over a floor pit and a robot replaces 1+ of your battery packs with fully charged ones.
No battery swap in the USA... People here own their battery, and don't want the risk of getting a less healthy one at a swap. Not to mention more cars now come with structural battery packs, cannot be easily removed and installed.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
It doesn't matter. There are limits in place between charges on this plan. I feel that an "ethics" take is a bit extreme and doesn't have a sound basis. What are you going to do, drive your Polestar to EA and charge for 30 minutes, then drive home and bring your Hummer EV back after the lockout period for another 30 minutes? Rinse, repeat all day long until 100% Come on. No one's living that long. 😂
Where I live there are 12 EA locations within 15 minutes, so easier to cheat. I am blown away though charging the Hummer on EV-GO $7.25 for 98 kWh, EV-GO's by the minute charging is great for the Hummer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts