GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else worried about the prospect of taking their Hummer EV on road trips? Its massive battery and low efficiency have me concerned.

I currently have a Model Y, which has a 82 kWh battery pack and can get me around 250 mile range. The Hummer EV has a ~200 kWh battery pack and closer to 300 miles range. You never really get the full range they state.

Right now; on road trip with the Model Y I stop on average about every 150-200 miles and it take me about 30 minutes to charge to do that over again. Remind you that this is with very quick Tesla superchargers. It can average about 100-150 kW charge rate.

So when I think about the Hummer, how would it compare... So we have 2.5x the battery capacity, and the Hummer must charge on typically much slower chargers. Even top tier Electrify America chargers have been know to only pump out 50-100 kW.

So now that 30 minute charge with my Model Y, now takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to charge up a Hummer. On top of that; public charging stations are more expensive per kWh of charge than Tesla super chargers. So now the cost of charging has also gone up by a factor of 2 to 3. Yes; the Hummer EV's will have 300-350 kWh charging capability, but seeing that in reality and not just on paper are two totally different things.

I plan to do a lot of road trips and I'm not sure if the Hummer EV would be the right choice for that. With the truck weighing ~$9K lbs (double the weight of my Model Y), and obvious not-so-great aerodynamics, I am quite concerned.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How did the trip work out?

A lot of people forget; this is largely an off-road vehicle. But unless you plan to constantly just run trails around your house, there is typically some sort of road trip involved to get to decent off-road areas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts