GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,096 Posts
If the timing works out, we are likely going to take the Hummer on a road trip immediately after taking delivery. Planning on keeping track of as much information as I can. With extremely limited information about charge curves and highway range at specific speeds, it's going to be interesting.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ABRP suggests that optimizing the speed of the trip is going to involve charge stops of over an hour, but significantly fewer than a car with a smaller battery. I don't think they have any insight into actual charge curve yet either though.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
@Dark-Fx Keep us posted, aren't you supposed to be getting yours in the next few days?
Dealer told me within "Two Weeks" on Friday. We had a vacation planned, leaving this Friday evening but I decided to push it off, for unrelated reasons. Had originally planned on using my Polestar 2 since it gets free 30 minute charging at EA stations. Wish GM would have done the same thing, trip with the Hummer is likely to actually be kind of expensive, especially compared to free.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The myGMC app for the Hummer also has the "Energy Assist" tab that lets you plan trips and show you the best options for charging stations.
The energy assist's suggestions were pretty useless in the Bolt. It assumed optimal conditions, which are never the case, especially talking about highway consumption. Drive 80 mph and you automatically lose at least 25% off the EPA range in otherwise optimal conditions.

I saw an example on one of these threads where a Hummer charged at an average of 230kw from 30-67%. Below 30% should provide an even higher average. That is better than 1C rate so I think 150 miles in 30 minutes should be expected if you start at a lower SoC (i.e 10 to 30%).

EA has a goal of an average of 70-120 miles between chargers. So you will want to plan your stops based on that, unless you are in some charging desert. Also with 800V charging, you are less likely to experience the lower power due to current limits on some of the chargers.
EA has a few holes on the route from Metro Detroit going south. You have to get onto the OH Turnpike going east, just to charge and get off at the next exit to backtrack. That station to the one in Dayton is 153 miles. Probably won't be an issue in the Hummer, but my Bolt would have meant needing to stay way too long on the turnpike. In my Polestar we went to columbus, I stayed at the station for the free 30 minutes, ended up arriving at the columbus charger 130 miles later with 8% left.

I really can't wait for EV charging to be as thoughtless as filling up an ICE. EV trips are totally doable, but still require planning. With the Hummer, anything under 150kW is going to be absolutely miserable, so there's going to be extra planning involved versus a more efficient CCS vehicle. Even if it maxes out at 350kW, it might be quicker to drive slower.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
do you really want to go camping for a week somewhere not knowing for sure you will be able to start up when getting ready to leave?
Sure, but what does this have to do with having an EV exactly? Vampire drain on my Bolt EV was extremely low. It could sit for three weeks and not lose more than 1-2%, provided the weather wasn't at an extreme.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Dealer told me within "Two Weeks" on Friday. We had a vacation planned, leaving this Friday evening but I decided to push it off, for unrelated reasons. Had originally planned on using my Polestar 2 since it gets free 30 minute charging at EA stations. Wish GM would have done the same thing, trip with the Hummer is likely to actually be kind of expensive, especially compared to free.
As long as the dealer can get the truck back to us in a bit over a week, we will be taking it on our road trip. Plan is to drive down through Nashville, Montgomery, and come back east through Tallahassee instead of the straight shot down I-75. We are taking 5 days to get down there, so lots of overnight charging. One thing that's going to be interesting is trying to plan out charging stops based on the amount of time we're spending at overnight L2 stops. Current plan has us at 1541 miles for the first half of the trip. One travel day, we might actually be able to skip stopping at a fast charger since our activity has an L2.

On a 32A EVSE, the Hummer will struggle to even get a half charge in a typical overnight. I'm planning on trying to use a teslatap on tesla destination chargers since those tend to be either 40A or higher.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
How did the trip work out?

A lot of people forget; this is largely an off-road vehicle. But unless you plan to constantly just run trails around your house, there is typically some sort of road trip involved to get to decent off-road areas.
It's going pretty well so far. Today's sort of issue was actually spending too much time at the chargers while eating lunch and going through the Corvette museum. 42 to 92% in 64 minutes, 117 kWh delivered. Something strange with the EA stations that charge based on time because that charge only cost us $16.52, and we went way into the level of charge with a hard taper. Still hit 235kW on that charge, only actually needed about 10 minutes to get to our destination from there but it's not like I am walking back out to move the truck when I was the only one charging.

4 different EA stations, every experience with them was flawless except for the app getting confused through one of the sessions. Still haven't been charged for that one yet. Plug in, unlock phone, hover over the NFC reader and bam, charging.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Looking forward to your report... Did you run into EV chargers blocked by EV's not charging? That happens a lot around here, usually Tesla's or Bolt's
Technically. An EQS that was plugged in at 100% with no-one there. Other than that specific instance, not once. Personally I was actually surprised at how well the charging went. Don't tell my wife, or she might not be a willing participant on our next road trip. I think it helps that EA seems to have their stations default to being free when they are working, but having network issues. One of our DCFC charges was on a 62.5/125 charge point, two were on 350kW EVGo, the rest were on 350kW EA stations. I had plugged into a 50kW EVGo station, but it was so slow it was practically useless.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
and we have seen for the EVGO charger photo above 303kw for the Hummer.
Something strange happens occasionally with EA and the Truck. This was the second charge I had where the status in the EA app got bugged out. The strange thing is the app for the truck also stops getting updates on charge level at about the same time. Each of those sessions I ended up getting charged zero dollars. I was hoping I'd be able to reconcile the total amount of energy used through the charging apps, but it had been so inconsistent with these strange issues that I can't do it that way. This particular charge ended up as 150kWh delivered in 1 hr 6 minutes according to the station. 17-82%
Font Material property Rectangle Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I suspect we'll see national hotel chains offering charging stations so people can plan road trips with nightly stays.

Eventually battery packs will be modularized and standardized; today's gas stations will become battery exchange stations where you drive over a floor pit and a robot replaces 1+ of your battery packs with fully charged ones.
I definitely don't want someone else's abused battery. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That's fine but there's still a lockout period for the 30 minute charges on this plan.
So supposedly they don't have the lockup period in action. I'm guessing it's because EA stations can be flakey and moving between them would lock you out of a free charge. The polestar gets 70-75% of a charge after 30 minutes if the station is working 100%, so it's not really a big problem.

Closest EA station to my house is 45 minutes, so I don't regularly use them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts