GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else worried about the prospect of taking their Hummer EV on road trips? Its massive battery and low efficiency have me concerned.

I currently have a Model Y, which has a 82 kWh battery pack and can get me around 250 mile range. The Hummer EV has a ~200 kWh battery pack and closer to 300 miles range. You never really get the full range they state.

Right now; on road trip with the Model Y I stop on average about every 150-200 miles and it take me about 30 minutes to charge to do that over again. Remind you that this is with very quick Tesla superchargers. It can average about 100-150 kW charge rate.

So when I think about the Hummer, how would it compare... So we have 2.5x the battery capacity, and the Hummer must charge on typically much slower chargers. Even top tier Electrify America chargers have been know to only pump out 50-100 kW.

So now that 30 minute charge with my Model Y, now takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to charge up a Hummer. On top of that; public charging stations are more expensive per kWh of charge than Tesla super chargers. So now the cost of charging has also gone up by a factor of 2 to 3. Yes; the Hummer EV's will have 300-350 kWh charging capability, but seeing that in reality and not just on paper are two totally different things.

I plan to do a lot of road trips and I'm not sure if the Hummer EV would be the right choice for that. With the truck weighing ~$9K lbs (double the weight of my Model Y), and obvious not-so-great aerodynamics, I am quite concerned.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have similar concerns, but I don't have the experience you do with EV. My 2nd home is about 220 miles away and I have a 48A charger there, too, so I think I'll be fine for my weekend trips. But I also want to drive to Nashville from Detroit in the spring. Thats ~600 miles, or at least 2 charge stops. How would that work? Find a charge station and go shop/eat 2-3 hours each time? I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Anyone else worried about the prospect of taking their Hummer EV on road trips? Its massive battery and low efficiency have me concerned.

I currently have a Model Y, which has a 82 kWh battery pack and can get me around 250 mile range. The Hummer EV has a ~200 kWh battery pack and closer to 300 miles range. You never really get the full range they state.

Right now; on road trip with the Model Y I stop on average about every 150-200 miles and it take me about 30 minutes to charge to do that over again. Remind you that this is with very quick Tesla superchargers. It can average about 100-150 kW charge rate.

So when I think about the Hummer, how would it compare... So we have 2.5x the battery capacity, and the Hummer must charge on typically much slower chargers. Even top tier Electrify America chargers have been know to only pump out 50-100 kW.

So now that 30 minute charge with my Model Y, now takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to charge up a Hummer. On top of that; public charging stations are more expensive per kWh of charge than Tesla super chargers. So now the cost of charging has also gone up by a factor of 2 to 3. Yes; the Hummer EV's will have 300-350 kWh charging capability, but seeing that in reality and not just on paper are two totally different things.

I plan to do a lot of road trips and I'm not sure if the Hummer EV would be the right choice for that. With the truck weighing ~$9K lbs (double the weight of my Model Y), and obvious not-so-great aerodynamics, I am quite concerned.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Model Y which I have, does not go 200 miles after your first stop, and at the average supercharger does not charge 10 -90% in 30 minutes.

V3 superchargers are few and far between so we are mostly stuck at <150kW max rate chargers, and if the stations is busy they are max 75kW because all those supercharger stations share plugs.

Yes, Hummer is bigger, less efficient and has a huge battery, and EA stations do not have 100% reliability, more like 90% although my experience has been 100% at EA stations in my limited experience with my E-Tron, which by the way still has the best charging curve of any EV out there for the most customers, does not matter if you plug in at 10% or 50%, you still get max charge rate all the way to 80% of 150 kW.

Comparing Model Y (economy car) to Hummer Ev (luxury off road truck) is a bit of a silly comparison. If you want to do that comparison, lets try with 5 adults inside, maybe some hauling and trailering, and a little off roading, to make the comparison fair. I would bet people buying Hummer have more then 1 vehicle, and if they are going cross country, may not choose it for that. BTW, we don't take our Sierra 2500HD Denali on road trips either even though it has over 700 miles of highway range and fuels in 5 minutes. There is no EV made that could keep up with it on a road trip, it could tow a trailer and beat a Lucid Air across the country by a lot. That might be an idea for an upcoming youtube video, a Lucid Air driving, and one on a trailer behind an HD diesel pickups, see who gets across the country first.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I have similar concerns, but I don't have the experience you do with EV. My 2nd home is about 220 miles away and I have a 48A charger there, too, so I think I'll be fine for my weekend trips. But I also want to drive to Nashville from Detroit in the spring. Thats ~600 miles, or at least 2 charge stops. How would that work? Find a charge station and go shop/eat 2-3 hours each time? I'm trying to figure out the logistics.
I would look at your specific trips and map them plug share, to see where the chargers are, most times on a road trip you are not taking a full charge, but maybe just enough to complete the road trip, but this is very user specific, so you have to look at your trips you would take the Hummer on, and see how it work for you.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,105 Posts
If the timing works out, we are likely going to take the Hummer on a road trip immediately after taking delivery. Planning on keeping track of as much information as I can. With extremely limited information about charge curves and highway range at specific speeds, it's going to be interesting.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
@Dark-Fx Keep us posted, aren't you supposed to be getting yours in the next few days?
Dealer told me within "Two Weeks" on Friday. We had a vacation planned, leaving this Friday evening but I decided to push it off, for unrelated reasons. Had originally planned on using my Polestar 2 since it gets free 30 minute charging at EA stations. Wish GM would have done the same thing, trip with the Hummer is likely to actually be kind of expensive, especially compared to free.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
820 Posts
I saw an example on one of these threads where a Hummer charged at an average of 230kw from 30-67%. Below 30% should provide an even higher average. That is better than 1C rate so I think 150 miles in 30 minutes should be expected if you start at a lower SoC (i.e 10 to 30%).

EA has a goal of an average of 70-120 miles between chargers. So you will want to plan your stops based on that, unless you are in some charging desert. Also with 800V charging, you are less likely to experience the lower power due to current limits on some of the chargers.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The myGMC app for the Hummer also has the "Energy Assist" tab that lets you plan trips and show you the best options for charging stations.
The energy assist's suggestions were pretty useless in the Bolt. It assumed optimal conditions, which are never the case, especially talking about highway consumption. Drive 80 mph and you automatically lose at least 25% off the EPA range in otherwise optimal conditions.

I saw an example on one of these threads where a Hummer charged at an average of 230kw from 30-67%. Below 30% should provide an even higher average. That is better than 1C rate so I think 150 miles in 30 minutes should be expected if you start at a lower SoC (i.e 10 to 30%).

EA has a goal of an average of 70-120 miles between chargers. So you will want to plan your stops based on that, unless you are in some charging desert. Also with 800V charging, you are less likely to experience the lower power due to current limits on some of the chargers.
EA has a few holes on the route from Metro Detroit going south. You have to get onto the OH Turnpike going east, just to charge and get off at the next exit to backtrack. That station to the one in Dayton is 153 miles. Probably won't be an issue in the Hummer, but my Bolt would have meant needing to stay way too long on the turnpike. In my Polestar we went to columbus, I stayed at the station for the free 30 minutes, ended up arriving at the columbus charger 130 miles later with 8% left.

I really can't wait for EV charging to be as thoughtless as filling up an ICE. EV trips are totally doable, but still require planning. With the Hummer, anything under 150kW is going to be absolutely miserable, so there's going to be extra planning involved versus a more efficient CCS vehicle. Even if it maxes out at 350kW, it might be quicker to drive slower.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,579 Posts
The energy assist's suggestions were pretty useless in the Bolt. It assumed optimal conditions, which are never the case, especially talking about highway consumption. Drive 80 mph and you automatically lose at least 25% off the EPA range in otherwise optimal conditions.
It'd work for me at least, with my Volt I rarely go over 65. (I've stretched my Battery to 85 Miles once) xD

The App at least is growing, there are a lot of stations listed for a number of different providers.

I really can't wait for EV charging to be as thoughtless as filling up an ICE.
Can't wait for the Build out of Stations to reach a good number in all locations.

·
Registered
820 Posts
They may have improved it recently, but I have not validated it in my Bolt. I have seen it give me something like 2.6mile/kWh estimated for a trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, which is a 6000 ft elevation change with 75mph speed limits. I know I can get better than that, for example going to Tucson, with no elevation change and the same speeds is better than 3 mile/kWh. But it does not let me enter a higher speed.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I take a lot of 150-300 mile trips with the family, so this has me concerned as well. Sure, we’ll fully charge at home first, but in the winter this could be especially annoying. With the lower cold range already I doubt I’d get 170 miles without range anxiety.
Just picked up a 2022 Escalade diesel so that may just end up getting passed along to my wife for the family vehicle and long trips once my 3X is ready. Might just have to cruise in the Hummer around town until I can confidently drive it longer distances without range anxiety. Maybe I’ll feel better once we get some real world feedback

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
270 Posts
I think a lot of this is going to depend on the charging curve for the Hummer. If it can maintain 350kW for awhile (and the EA chargers rated for 350kW can actually sustain that rate), we may be surprised by the pace of charging. This chart from C&D's Rivian R1T review last week was disappointing to me (frankly for all three cars):

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

Also per C&D: The SUT, with its somewhat larger 24-module pack (roughly 213 kwh gross capacity) afforded by its longer wheelbase, will offer 350-kw DC fast-charging, while the SUV, with its 20-module pack (around 178 kwh), will charge at up to 300 kw.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,579 Posts
I think a lot of this is going to depend on the charging curve for the Hummer. If it can maintain 350kW for awhile (and the EA chargers rated for 350kW can actually sustain that rate), we may be surprised by the pace of charging. This chart from C&D's Rivian R1T review last week was disappointing to me (frankly for all three cars):

View attachment 1694

Also per C&D: The SUT, with its somewhat larger 24-module pack (roughly 213 kwh gross capacity) afforded by its longer wheelbase, will offer 350-kw DC fast-charging, while the SUV, with its 20-module pack (around 178 kwh), will charge at up to 300 kw.
Rivian just sent out an OTA update that improved the Charging curve in cold weather.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Rivian just sent out an OTA update that improved the Charging curve in cold weather.
Cold weather fixes do not bump the curve up, they only allow the slow charging at cold temps to ramp up faster. Even my lowly Bolt got an update like that a couple of years ago, but it still did not change the regular charging curve. I did get a better charging curve with my new Bolt battery, but it improves the charging after 50%, it did not increase the peak rate at all.

The Hummer does have a battery preconditioning button on the center display, so that will help for cold weather charging.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts