GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, looks like it’s up to 85k for the four motor version. Looks like they have added a two motor version to it at 79k. I believe it was just around 74k for the quad motor before. Ouch…
Ya, I just cancelled my reservation... F--- Rivian, not only delays, but also a substantial price increase, no thanks...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Our build (R1S) went up by almost $20k ($81k to $100k).
You may want to look at a BMW IX now at that price - if you can close your eyes now until you get inside. That outside is not so great, but the inside is good. Too bad Cadillac could not move up the AWD version of the Lyriq to sell something relatively comparable to the Rivian right now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You may want to look at a BMW IX now at that price - if you can close your eyes now until you get inside. That outside is not so great, but the outside is good. Too bad Cadillac could not move up the AWD version of the Lyriq to sell something relatively comparable to the Rivian right now.
5-seater, though. We have three kids and R1S is/was intended to be the family hauler (refresh Model X now). Too bad the Lightning isn't an electric Expedition (and the Hummer SUV only has 5 seats too).

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may want to look at a BMW IX now at that price - if you can close your eyes now until you get inside. That outside is not so great, but the outside is good. Too bad Cadillac could not move up the AWD version of the Lyriq to sell something relatively comparable to the Rivian right now.
iX got more attractive....

·
Registered
349 Posts
5-seater, though. We have three kids and R1S is/was intended to be the family hauler (refresh Model X now). Too bad the Lightning isn't an electric Expedition (and the Hummer SUV only has 5 seats too).
Yeah, but the Hummer seats five adults. The R1S, not so much. I don’t know how old your kids are, but my three are all teens and the size of adults. Something to consider if you plan on keeping long term.

Edit: The R1S rear seat hip measurement is 54.2”. The Hummer rear seat measurement is 60.3”.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seems very underhanded to hike prices on folks who, in some cases, have held reservations for several years. Could Rivian not afford to eat the cost related to existing reservation holders and avoid the hit to their customer relationships? I understand the realities right now (just reluctantly purchased a 2022 Tahoe at a price over MSRP) but going to be hard to get back customers who feel this was a bait-and-switch.

For me, this closes the door on potentially switching to the Rivian. At $80k-$85k fully loaded, the R1S was an attractive alternative to the Hummer SUV and had me second guessing myself at times due to the lower price. There is no chance I would purchase the same R1S at nearly the same price I can get a 3X.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My decision to cancel my Rivian order last year, just looks better all the time. I also decided not to buy any stock, if I had I would have sold short (boy did I screw up by not doing that). There is a poll on one of the Rivian forums where 40% are claiming to be canceling orders.
Yup, you were right on cancelling... Raising the price like this on previous reservation holders is just a bad plan for Rivian... Bad Will Created

On the stock, I sold in the 120's on my original shares, and $140's on my daughters shares. I bought back in at $79 and have been crushed... haha!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A live look at Rivian dealing with the backlash of the price increase.

Seriously though it's going to be fascinating to see how many people do end up cancelling their orders once the dust settles. I'm sure it's a party over at GM and the other truck makers right now.
Ya, all the more point that GM priced the Hummer right from the start, and the Rivian folks (myself included) could not believe the value Rivian was offering, but if the price is in the same ballpark, the Hummer is a better offering.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
471 Posts
Rivian backtracked today after all the cancellations and the stock dropping further. Poor management at any rate.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
579 Posts
Rivian backtracked today after all the cancellations and the stock dropping further. Poor management at any rate.

My config went up $14k. Was still a heck of a value at that price. Assuming Rivian stays solvent while I still own the vehicle, at least.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Ya, this was the biggest case of poor management I have seen from Rivian, they should have learned from Tesla, Tesla did this a few times, and had major backlash.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts