GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
On the other hand, the Rivian has a smaller bed (shorter and narrower), doesn’t have any physical buttons so it has inferior ergonomics, has no distribution/stores whatsoever, has an inferior frunk which is hard to access, no removable roof and is inferior off-road. So it all depends upon what people find important!
Bed on the R1T is barely smaller. 6" shorter with the tailgate closed, actually longer when the tailgate down. Not a whole lot of difference in usable width. Rivian frunk is bigger than it looks, but would be so much more useful if it were front accessible like Hummer or the Ford. Rivian has said they're planning on offering a removable roof, but nothing official yet, it's just been mentioned as something they're considering. Inferior off-road? Compared to what? Hummer only has more ground clearance with Extract Mode and comes stock with AT tires that are only 1" larger in diameter. The 275/65-20 AT tires on the R1T are 34x11. Hummer's are 35x12. Can fit up to 35's on the R1T, up to 37's on the Hummer. Those options are fitting considering the respective sizes of the trucks. Both have insanely good approach and departure angles. Hummer has a bit more HP and torque and 4-wheel steering. R1T has higher tow capacity and 4-wheel torque steer/ tank turn ability. R1T is more trail friendly in terms of size and weighs less than the Hummer....

There is no one-size-fits-all vehicle for off-road or any other purpose.

I can't render my ultimate judgement on the Hummer until I get to drive it. I have driven the R1T... It's amazing. My only complaints about the R1T re little usability quibbles like it would be nice to have a few tactile buttons or switches for some things or upfit options and the camera system was incomplete when I got my hands on it. Supposedly it's improved a lot in the last few weeks. No integrated simple garage door opener. But I guess I can tell Alexa to open the doors... Or have here do it automagically when I'm pulling into my driveway. Kinda sucks if we need to control a simple gate or something.

I was really looking forward to Doug Demuro's review of the R1T and he totally missed a couple things. He could have missed them because he was driving a pre-production truck and didn't have a Rivian person walking him through it all. The main things were the various drive modes. No mention at all in either the main review or the off-road supplement. Too bad because they make a big difference. Especially in off-road where there are a couple modes to choose from that have one-pedal off-road and hill hold and various other features. The other thing is the individual tire TPMS. It's there, but in the pre-production it was only visible in a settings screen and not where it's supposed to be. Totally understand why he missed that.

His little off-road test was fairly impressive seeing how he did it in standard drive mode. But does not accurately represent any of the various traction or drive modes available that he didn't acknowledge.

Really looking forward to Doug's review of the Hummer EV.

Anyway, I got my R1T reservation (max pack) and I've got my Hummer EV3X reservation... Still 100% planning on getting both of them. Will keep the one I like best or maybe both...

·
Registered
76 Posts
No doubt the Hummer is a huge win for GM. I'm still amazed they're able to create an EV at that scale and still maintain 300+ miles of range and the off-road capability. I know I've made some comments here recently that might have people thinking otherwise, but I seriously can't wait to take the Hummer for a test drive!

Maybe Rivian will charge extra for the software on the garage door controller, that's what Tesla does, it's $250 as I recall.
Tesla charges $300 for the Model 3 and Y to install the HomeLink garage door module, still included standard on the S and X. It's like a $5 transmitter part, but that's what Chamberlain charges to license it, like $250 and then Tesla bumps it to $300 to cover the install. Elon got in a spat with Chamberlain over it. Ford actually got sued by Chamberlain and lost when they tried to create their own integrated opener that did the same thing. Patents can be a real bitch sometimes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.