GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone speak to how much the spare tire obstructs the rear view camera when the single rear tire is installed in the bed in the carrier. It sits left of center, when viewed from the back, and I've been on the fence as to whether or not to buy the tire carrier. I just have concerns of how much it blocks the rear view camera.

Does anyone have any pics they can share when viewed from the cabin?

thanks,

J

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can anyone speak to how much the spare tire obstructs the rear view camera when the single rear tire is installed in the bed in the carrier. It sits left of center, when viewed from the back, and I've been on the fence as to whether or not to buy the tire carrier. I just have concerns of how much it blocks the rear view camera.

Does anyone have any pics they can share when viewed from the cabin?

thanks,

J
Here's a screenshot from a YouTube review, it takes up nearly half the mirror's view, probably completely obscured if you mount two. My plan is to just buy a spare and mount it flat with some tiedowns:
Mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Light

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a screenshot from a YouTube review, it takes up nearly half the mirror's view, probably completely obscured if you mount two. My plan is to just buy a spare and mount it flat with some tiedowns:
View attachment 2782
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I will probly do the same thing with a spare. They do sell a tire mount that is designed to mount to the sliding tray, but I'm pretty confident you could mount that to the truck bed without buying the sliding tray. Will just have to see how it fits flat and how much room it takes.

Thanks for the response.

J

·
Registered
100 Posts
My plan is to just buy a spare and mount it flat with some tiedowns:
Not sure if your plan was to do the stock wheel combo; but if I remember right, if you get any of the other option wheels, you get the original wheels too. That's my plan too, just put a spare in the bed when I'm going off roading under the tonneau.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure if your plan was to do the stock wheel combo; but if I remember right, if you get any of the other option wheels, you get the original wheels too. That's my plan too, just put a spare in the bed when I'm going off roading under the tonneau.
It really depends what packages and wheel options the 3X ends up with. You'd think they know enough to put up a 3X configurator by now. Even if we're 3-6+ months away from deliveries, they would already have to have orders and parts from suppliers lined up enough to know what they will and won't be offering. The complete absence of a configurator at this point is baffling.

We've seen 5 rims AFAIK, the ED1 18" off-road package ones, two 22"s, and two 18"s.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Spoke

·
Registered
100 Posts
You'd think they know enough to put up a 3X configurator by now. Even if we're 3-6+ months away from deliveries, they would already have to have orders and parts from suppliers lined up enough to know what they will and won't be offering. The complete absence of a configurator at this point is baffling.
Completely baffling. My only guess is they want to get all of the Edition 1's (with no real options for paint, rims, etc.) delivered before they show the public all the cool stuff us 3X owners are getting... that's my hope at least...! 😁

I've got my fingers crossed I can get those bead lock rims. They look SO good to me!

What rims are you leaning based on the options available that we know of so far?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I really like the beadlock wheels too... They would probably be my #1 choice... Then would be the SUV 18" (snowflake style) or the tech bronze 2 tone....
Between the two 22"s I like
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

the wheel from the silhouette teaser pics before the reveal in 2020

and it's honestly a toss up between the tech bronze 18's. Both the lunar rover-ish ones that were on the reveal and the new accessory ones. I'm super curious which will be options when the 3X orders open up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not sure laying your 35” tire/wheel down flat in the bed of the truck is a good idea. I don’t care how much you tie it down, it won’t be enough unless you’re using the Hummer for pavement duty only. Plus, it will take up even more space. If possible, I would highly recommend getting a hitch mounted spare tire carrier(rear camera relocated if necessary) with an adapter to also carry a couple mtn. bikes. The truck bed tire mounted carrier is also not ideal. Another option if you don’t want to carry around a spare for around town driving, is to buy an ARB tire repair kit and install the ARB twin compressor. I have no idea if you can with these EV’s but you also can buy a portable Dobinson air compressor for around $200.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It really depends what packages and wheel options the 3X ends up with. You'd think they know enough to put up a 3X configurator by now. Even if we're 3-6+ months away from deliveries, they would already have to have orders and parts from suppliers lined up enough to know what they will and won't be offering. The complete absence of a configurator at this point is baffling.

We've seen 5 rims AFAIK, the ED1 18" off-road package ones, two 22"s, and two 18"s.
View attachment 2784
View attachment 2789

View attachment 2785

View attachment 2788
22’s on a Hummer looks super ghetto. I guess if you’re a blingy house wife it might make sense who just wants to show off in the mall parking lot or school carpool lane but 18”s look much more proper and appropriately beefy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts