GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a heavy truck very heavy truck and I just recently installed pavers leading to my garage. So my question is the hummer too heavy to park/drive tru on pavers? When I researched it I came up with pavers can support 8000 pounds per square inch and the hummer is over 9000 pounds is there a reason for concern? Side note these guys installed the pavers very well and correctly

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
So this is a heavy truck very heavy truck and I just recently installed pavers leading to my garage. So my question is the hummer too heavy to park/drive tru on pavers? When I researched it I came up with pavers can support 8000 pounds per square inch and the hummer is over 9000 pounds is there a reason for concern? Side note these guys installed the pavers very well and correctly
The pavers should be fine, the sub grade beneath them might compress a bit if it is not compacted as much as the Hummer weighs. The Hummer is 9100 lb, divided by 4 tires is 2275, and the tire contact area is just under 1 square foot, so the HummerEV puts down roughly 2500lb per sq ft. It's the same ground pressure most house foundations are designed for. I mean a fully loaded HD diesel pickup stock is about the same, if you have stock width tires.

Edit I just went and measured my HD pickup, 9" wide, so that means the HD Diesel pickup puts down more concentrated ground pressure than even the HummerEV with stock width tires on both. Larger 37" tires on the Hummer will lower the ground pressure, as the contact patch gets larger. Lower tire pressure helps to.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
This is an aside but reading that last line made me think you’re going to have to run 60+ psi in these tires like a HD truck because of the weight and 10 ply plus
I am not sure of the exact tires for the Hummer yet, GM stated they are not off the shelf tires, and are special for lower rolling resistance while maintaining the traction, I hope they are not 10 ply, as that is going to make the Hummer rough riding on city streets, and if you remember back to the test drives, when they take it fast over the RR tracks, and on the washboard roads they tires were not bouncing much which makes me believe the pressure is lower then 60 psi. I think GM will run them about 45-50psi for normal use and 25-30 psi for off roading (possibly lower for rock crawling, which is where it would be nice to have beadlock wheels)

Remember Hummer EV is a Unibody, and Unibodies are much stiffer then typical body on frame pickups which flex in several areas through the chassis, stiff tires, and stiff chassis, could make the ride no fun? Another thing I notice in WTF mode, those rear tires pull right down under hard acceleration, as the weight transfers onto them, another sign of lower pressure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe that the stock tires are Goodyear Territory MT 305/70/18. They are 35" diameter, but only 9.9" tread width. This is why I'm struggling with the best tire/wheel combo, as the stock tires are tall but narrow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I believe that the stock tires are Goodyear Territory MT 305/70/18. They are 35" diameter, but only 9.9" tread width. This is why I'm struggling with the best tire/wheel combo, as the stock tires are tall but narrow.
305mm is 12 inches. Where are you getting 9.9 inches tread width from? I know the tread width can be less. I just don’t know where you got the info.

On a similar note. I am disappointed Goodyear hasn’t released a 37” Territory MT yet AND GM hasn’t referenced 37”s fitting on the Hummer for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
I would be fine with tall and narrow, it's the 8 lug throwing me for loops and trying to find a more SUV looking wheel vs an offroad truck wheel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good point, Shaved Ice. I wasn't thinking of the 305 when I posted, just went off of the tirerack.com data. They list the tread width as 9.9", not the tire.

BigJonEV: I'm having the same issues finding a decent wheel w/8x180 lug spacing. The load range of the wheels is also somewhat problematic. I really like the Fuel D681 Rebel 8 wheels, as they come with Bronze. I think that'll look great to matchup with the bronze tow hooks and bronze emblems. The load capacity is only 2300lbs though. Would be nice to have data on the stock wheels, such as backspacing.

Goodyear.com isn't listing the tire specs. But this is the tirerack.com data on the Wrangler Territory MT:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Magenta

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.