GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the glass roof panels look good, but what about heat transmission? I live in the South and it gets BLAZING hot here. I have owned several vehicles with power glass sunroofs, but I almost always leave the shade pulled over them. Do we know if there will be any type of retractable shade for the roof panels? Another thing is that at night you can get glare or reflections off of the glass and with the big video infotainment screen, I wonder how that will be?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I know that the glass roof panels look good, but what about heat transmission? I live in the South and it gets BLAZING hot here. I have owned several vehicles with power glass sunroofs, but I almost always leave the shade pulled over them. Do we know if there will be any type of retractable shade for the roof panels? Another thing is that at night you can get glare or reflections off of the glass and with the big video infotainment screen, I wonder how that will be?
Great Question, I have to think they will have some tint on the panels, but for sure no retractable shade with the glass. My Tesla Y has a full glass roof, heavily tinted. its does get blazing hot in there if you part it in the sun. If I am parking for 20 or less minutes I leave the A/C on while parked (Dog Mode) if I will be gone from the car for hours I start the A/C remotely from the phone app 10 minutes before I return to the car.

In the Tesla reflections off the street are a non issue that I have found.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering about that and it's effectiveness... I have heard of people (probably on this forum) talk about the ceramic tint... We had some windows in our house done a few years ago (we get late afternoon sun and it really beats in), but I am not sure whether it helped all that much... I hope some of the 1st Edition owners can provide some feedback when they get their hands on their Hummers

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I love the look of the transparent panels but I even left my shade closed on my Sierra Denali sunroof because it would get so hot when the sun was shining right down on me. A friend of mine with two Tesla’s lives in LA and he said heat transfer is a big deal out there. I live in Indiana so I’m not too worried about it in the winter but the summer might be bad. Wonder if there will be a combo set like they do with Corvettes. Otherwise I may just got stock with the opaque panels because I already recently bumped up from a 2x to a 3x, and then invest in some transparent panels sometime down the road.

when it comes to the opaque panels I am curious how the interior of those panels will look. I currently have a Jeep rubicon and those panels are just plastic with a thin foam velcroed to the roof to dampen the noise. However, my 2017 Grand Sport roof has an awesome Diamond stitched alcantara design on the inside of the removable roof panel. I would love to see GMC make the inside of the opaque panels look more finished off like that.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
2017 Grand Sport roof has an awesome Diamond stitched alcantara design on the inside of the removable roof panel. I would love to see GMC make the inside of the opaque panels look more finished off like that.
It's a Hummer, this is not a luxury car, does not even come with carpet on the floor. I think the opaque panels will be the same type of material, just not see through. I am just hoping GM is not having Webasco build these roofs, don't want the Bronco problems and recall, or delay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a Hummer, this is not a luxury car, does not even come with carpet on the floor. I think the opaque panels will be the same type of material, just not see through. I am just hoping GM is not having Webasco build these roofs, don't want the Bronco problems and recall, or delay.
Agreed! I'm sure if they considered Webasco they are now re-considering that now.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Agreed! I'm sure if they considered Webasco they are now re-considering that now.
Ya, but its way too late in development to change now, suppliers were likely locked in early in 2020. It takes the supply chain some time to tool up for these things, contracts are usually signed 6 months to a year before you see prototypes. Webasco might be doing all the body side cladding too, hence the reason the prototypes were missing it... haha!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just purchased a Mercedes E63s AMG wagon, and it didn’t come with window tint from the factory. Living in Dallas… it was hot for the several days I had it before getting full PPF and ceramic tint put on. The ceramic tint helped significantly! I will definitely do ceramic tint on the glass panels of the Hummer, no question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts