GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a few observations on the Hummer that could use the 12V battery to die, first of all, have to remember to hit the start/stop every time when you exit, or the Hummer stays on. In our Audi it shuts itself off after a few seconds if you leave the front seat.

Second, if you keep your key FOB too close to the truck, it will initialize from time to time, draining the battery. I noticed this as we set our keys just inside the house on the counter. Last night I went out to the garage 2 or 3 times without the keys, but each time I opened the door to the garage the truck initialized, and ran through the lighting sequence, even though the FOB did not move from the counter.

· Super Moderator
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,696 Posts
I have made a few observations on the Hummer that could use the 12V battery to die, first of all, have to remember to hit the start/stop every time when you exit, or the Hummer stays on. In our Audi it shuts itself off after a few seconds if you leave the front seat.

Second, if you keep your key FOB too close to the truck, it will initialize from time to time, draining the battery. I noticed this as we set our keys just inside the house on the counter. Last night I went out to the garage 2 or 3 times without the keys, but each time I opened the door to the garage the truck initialized, and ran through the lighting sequence, even though the FOB did not move from the counter.
If you leave the Hummer on and close the door it will honk at you. Also like my Volt it has a 60 minute timer. If the Vehicle is parked and on for 60 minutes it will turn off.

Interesting observation about the FOB. It probably does the initializing sequence when it notices a increase in signal strength. So every time you open the door the car sees the FOB and initializes.

· Registered
C7 Corvette, H3X Hummer
176 Posts
If you leave the Hummer on and close the door it will honk at you. Also like my Volt it has a 60 minute timer. If the Vehicle is parked and on for 60 minutes it will turn off.

Interesting observation about the FOB. It probably does the initializing sequence when it notices a increase in signal strength. So every time you open the door the car sees the FOB and initializes.
When the car sees the fob it unlocks the drivers door automatically. That’s how my corvette works. But you have to be at least a few feet from the door with the fob in your pocket.

· Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
When the car sees the fob it unlocks the drivers door automatically. That’s how my corvette works. But you have to be at least a few feet from the door with the fob in your pocket.
I know how the FOB works, I'm saying the change in signal strength(opening door of house) makes the Hummer think the FOB is approaching.

· Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
Do you? Unless the door is glass, wood doors don’t effect fob transmission.
FOB's aren't magic, objects can impact the strength of signals...

· Registered
57 Posts
While loading up the bed for a beach day at Pebble Beach I used the tailgate step to load in and noticed the blue illumination (parked in the garage so it was easy to see) on the kicker tailgate audio. I guess this has been on since installed and does not turn off with the key, you will need manually turn this off with the power button on the kicker unit.

I would of never noticed the blue lights if it was outside.

So that is one source for battery drain if you have tailgate audio.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,225 Posts
While loading up the bed for a beach day at Pebble Beach I used the tailgate step to load in and noticed the blue illumination (parked in the garage so it was easy to see) on the kicker tailgate audio. I guess this has been on since installed and does not turn off with the key, you will need manually turn this off with the power button on the kicker unit.

I would of never noticed the blue lights if it was outside.

So that is one source for battery drain if you have tailgate audio.
It would make sense to be always powered, people might be using it to tailgate and wouldn't want to turn the truck on constantly when it sleeps.

· Registered
57 Posts
When we left, I opened the tailgate to load everything in then opened the step and let my wife and son use it to know off the sand and put on there shoes, then I did the same and heard some music playing, thought it was from another car but when I hopped off and closed the tailgate the music was from the tailgate audio.

So it automatically powers on when you open the tailgate, I turned it off and closed it. I will check tomorrow if it still plays when you close the tailgate or if it shuts off.

It would make sense to be always powered, people might be using it to tailgate and wouldn't want to turn the truck on constantly when it sleeps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts