Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 16.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
The funniest thing to me is that he could of bought Honda for what he spent on Twitter and buying Twitter may end up putting Tesla in a position to be bought out from under him. He could have bought Rivian AND Lucid with billions to spare instead. If I were Tesla, I'd also be worried about that class action suit about Full Self Driving, the end result of which could be them having to refund $5-15k to anyone that bought it in the past 5-6 years. Tesla as a brand isn't going anywhere, they may just not be as independent for as long as some had hoped.

He's liquidated $23billion in Tesla stock this year just on the Twitter boondoggle. He still has $66bil in stock but not if the trend continues and he keeps selling the dip to cover overhead and interest on the loans for Twitter.

Here's food for thought. Tesla hasn't had a completely new consumer product since 2018. How many other car companies haven't released a new consumer vehicle in almost 5 years? Their portfolio is stagnant, besides the practically non-existent Cybertruck and completely non-existent Roadster, what's on the slate for the future? A yoke? A better GPU for their infotainment? The model S has been on sale with minor updates for 10 years. We're on the 3rd generation of S-Class, 7 Series, and A8 since then. They weren't built well but they had amazing software and they've been letting everyone else play catchup, and they largely have. Drive a Model 3 and a Kia EV6 back to back, or a Model S and a Lucid Air. They squandered their position due to hubris and now all the big auto makers are all in on EVs. Now their CEO is burning cash and a lot of their goodwill lording over a social media site. Tesla might end up just being a charging network and battery producer in 10 years.

· Registered
468 Posts
It's def headed down. They don't refresh products fast enough. Their self driving promises are a huge issue. Their quality is lacking. Tech is catching up and surpassing then as well.

· Registered
157 Posts
"Over" is too strong IMO. I believe Tesla still has a big advantage in the EV market in terms of actual EV output and charging network. And for anyone looking for long range/efficiency, Tesla is still at or near the top.

I do agree, though, that the combination of new competition and Tesla's poor quality/lack of new offerings/FSD issues is putting it on a downward trend. I also think Elon's twitter shenanigans could have an impact on demand since he seems to be alienating a fair amount of Tesla fanatics. As a result, I think Tesla's dominance of the market is ending, but Tesla still has too big of a presence in the market for it to be "over."

Personal experience: I own a Model S and while it is exactly what I wanted/needed at the time (fun car to drive with long EV range), the build quality (paint, cheap interior, etc.) is hard to ignore. I plan to trade it in when I buy the Hummer but I've also looked at other EVs comparable to the Model S (Audi e-tron GT and Porsche Taycan) as alternatives if circumstances change. At current prices, I'd buy either of those before I would buy a new Model S, which I believe is overpriced after recent price hikes. The biggest issue with those EVs is range, but I fully expect both will solve for range before I would be in the market for one and well before Tesla solves for its quality issues.

· Registered
107 Posts
As someone who owned and still owns a lot of Tesla stock, I hope it goes back up because it was a lot better when it was 1300 dollars a share instead of 130. I know Musk thinks of himself as on a crusade but he is dealing with forces that far out weigh him and can do what they are doing now. Devalue twitter, trash Tesla and leave Musk in financial ruins. All for saying he can WIN which he isn't.

· Registered
370 Posts
He’s lost another $6bil in stock value since I wrote my comment last week. It had a little uptick when he put up the poll about steeping down at Twitter’s CEO but dropped another 6% today on news that he’s basically ignoring he ever asked that question.

· Registered
370 Posts
He’s lost another $6bil in stock value since I wrote my comment last week. It had a little uptick when he put up the poll about steeping down at Twitter’s CEO but dropped another 6% today on news that he’s basically ignoring he ever asked that question.
And another $2Bil~ish since I wrote this. The only thing is more afraid of than losing money is someone else taking over Twitter and doing a better job.

· Registered
370 Posts
And another $6bil lost since Tuesday. Hard to think of a worse business decision than buying twitter for the lulz. They’re offering $7500 off model 3 and Y and sending emails to try and up sell Model 3 owners into Y’s. Demand has slumped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts