GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM has announced they will be supporting plug and charge starting now af the EVGo chargers. Others to follow.

This is great to hear as GM has been pretty silent about it - at least publicly!

·
Registered
437 Posts
GM has announced they will be supporting plug and charge starting now af the EVGo chargers. Others to follow.

This is great to hear as GM has been pretty silent about it - at least publicly!
Great, EVGo is a decent start, but now they just need to get it with EA for sure - that is the biggest win out there for us.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
815 Posts
No usable EVGO chargers in Arizona or along the interstate corridors. This is dumb, they need to support it at Electrify America. EA is not even on there list in that article, pathetic!

·
Registered
815 Posts
So EVGO claims to have something call "Autocharge" which is not based on ISO 15118, and that it will work with any CCS car:

They are showing Chevy Bolts as compatible, part of the Maven program. We shall see if this really works. The Bolt does not have the ISO 15118 standard implemented. If they are not implementing the ISO standard, I am not sure how they are handling security for this payment method.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,091 Posts
We stopped at one single EVGO station on our Florida trip. There have been a few that have popped up in my area with 350kW charging stations. Got a chance to try it out with the Rivian, but the station was thermally throttling after 5 minutes. I wonder if it still would have with the Hummer.

The experience here otherwise still wasn't great. Scanning the NFC with my phone kept picking up Google pay instead of my EVGO account. If you plugged in before going into the app to initiate the charge, it wasn't letting you select the one you just plugged into to start the charge. Maybe they are making it hard on purpose to encourage people to buy P&C compatible vehicles...
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So EVGO claims to have something call "Autocharge" which is not based on ISO 15118, and that it will work with any CCS car:

They are showing Chevy Bolts as compatible, part of the Maven program. We shall see if this really works. The Bolt does not have the ISO 15118 standard implemented. If they are not implementing the ISO standard, I am not sure how they are handling security for this payment method.
That's really old news. I haven't heard anything about it since 2019. They probably realized they can't do it securely.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That's really old news. I haven't heard anything about it since 2019. They probably realized they can't do it securely.
Well, I just set it up on my Bolt, but have not tried it yet. You have to have the Chevy app running, so I think they are likely interlocking it with your GPS position before activating. All the EVGO chargers near me are the older 50kw units, so I am not sure if it will work on those or not.

Here is a guy testing it with a 2017 Bolt.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well, I just set it up on my Bolt, but have not tried it yet. You have to have the Chevy app running, so I think they are likely interlocking it with your GPS position before activating. All the EVGO chargers near me are the older 50kw units, so I am not sure if it will work on those or not.

Here is a guy testing it with a 2017 Bolt.

Well, only GM vehicle I have onstar on doesn't have CCS, so I can't check it out myself. It's odd that the Volt doesn't have access to the energy screen in the app.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,563 Posts
Well, only GM vehicle I have onstar on doesn't have CCS, so I can't check it out myself. It's odd that the Volt doesn't have access to the energy screen in the app.
Yeah silly to me as well, but GM considers it a Hybrid (as it is) and it doesn't need all the brand new Energy screen options as a full on EV.
The Volt has access to the OLD Energy screen information under Vehicle Status.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just tested it today with my Bolt on a really old EVGO 50kw charger. It actually does work. I had the app open in Carplay to check the charger availability, pulled up to the charger, shut off the car, plugged in and it started charging within 20-30 seconds.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I just tested it today with my Bolt on a really old EVGO 50kw charger. It actually does work. I had the app open in Carplay to check the charger availability, pulled up to the charger, shut off the car, plugged in and it started charging within 20-30 seconds.
I am going to test the HummerEV on a new 350 kW EV-GO tomorrow, will shoot video, of a 10-80%, and hopefully get us some real charging data.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts