GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious for those of you who have EV's as I know that one pedal driving is very popular. It seems very odd to me since I have never done it... I understand that the regenerative braking slows the car as you lift on the accelerator pedal, but how does it determine when to stop? What about an emergency braking situation? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Let’s see if I can help, but it’s hard to explain. First and electric car is not like a gas where there is a baseline idle pushing you forward. If the car is stopped it won’t go forward unless you press the accelerator pedal.

if you have one pedal on and you are going 70 and fully take your foot off the pedal it’s going to leave those motors engaged but now the physics is switched and they are literally forcing electrons through those miles of wire. This slows you down very fast, as the motors are literally sucking the kinetic energy out of the truck and converting it to electricity. It’s not like slamming on the breaks but more like downshifting to first gear when driving 70.

the weirdest thing is going back to an ICE, after adjusting to one pedal. It’s like you forget you have to brake to slow down the car and like the car is accelerating uncontrollably and you have to force it to slow down.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
818 Posts
I am curious for those of you who have EV's as I know that one pedal driving is very popular. It seems very odd to me since I have never done it... I understand that the regenerative braking slows the car as you lift on the accelerator pedal, but how does it determine when to stop? What about an emergency braking situation? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this.
I assume you are not a golfer, the electric carts are basically one pedal driving. Nor have you driven a tractor with hydrostatic transmission, those are also one pedal.

With one pedal driving, speed is proportional to pedal position. Let off the pedal gradually and you gradually slow down, or let off totally and you get full regen until you stop.

There are emergency situations where you will need to push the brake to slow down faster. This can also happen when you let off the accelerator to late. After one or two drives, you will get completely used to it, just like riding a bike.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Great question, the other folks explain it, it will be awkward at first, but once used to it, you will never want to go back. Hummer has a lot of regen power, can slow you down quick, and I just use the "on" setting and paddle if I want more stopping power, rarely press the brake pedal.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Agree with all the statements above. It’s awesome once you get used to it but you also have to get used to it in your particular EV. You in time will get to the point GM where ya can feather off the accelerator to slow down when needed and never break, even to the point where at times you know when to fully let of to come to that perfect stop where it will hold. Most days you will not even use your actual brake pedal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First time 1 pedal driver here (dont count golf carts) and agree with what others have said.. only time I intentionally use the brake now is on a very steep hill intersection in our neighborhood where the truck would roll a little too far into the cross section road if I didnt. For highway driving I'm very conscience I might need to use the brake in an emergency but thats also the case with SuperCruise engaged. As Tom mentioned there are multiple levels for the 1 pedal and I've only tried "On" so far. There's a more aggressive mode but I feel like that would be way more than is needed for around town driving.

Heck, even the wife figured it out after I had it setup for it b/c she couldnt figure out how to undo it when going out to run errands and came home saying how much she really liked it after 5 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, they sound like what I was expecting/imagining. It just seems weird to think about it. I was trying to explain it to my wife and she was interested, especially because we are starting to teach our daughter to drive. She is almost 14, but hasn't ever really had any other driving experience and the gas and brake are sort of confusing her. The wife said maybe that's what we need to teach her on. But I surely don't want to a beginner driver in a truck this big and powerful...

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,572 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, they sound like what I was expecting/imagining. It just seems weird to think about it. I was trying to explain it to my wife and she was interested, especially because we are starting to teach our daughter to drive. She is almost 14, but hasn't ever really had any other driving experience and the gas and brake are sort of confusing her. The wife said maybe that's what we need to teach her on. But I surely don't want to a beginner driver in a truck this big and powerful...
Plenty of Small used EVs out there now.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe it's a girl thing (a joke)... Years ago (probably 1981 or 82)my grandfather finally got me a Suzuki JR50 (I was almost too big for it then, but he was always afraid I would get hurt) the 1st weekend that we had it I had explained to my sister how the brakes worked, we were at the family business and she was headed straight for the fence and we were screaming for her to stop... She turned and ran head on into the loading dock and flipped over the bars onto the dock and wasn't hurt... She said that she thought if she let off the throttle that it would stop.... If it was @Dark-Fx Livewire, then I guess it would have.... She was always ahead of her time...

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,096 Posts
Maybe it's a girl thing (a joke)... Years ago (probably 1981 or 82)my grandfather finally got me a Suzuki JR50 (I was almost too big for it then, but he was always afraid I would get hurt) the 1st weekend that we had it I had explained to my sister how the brakes worked, we were at the family business and she was headed straight for the fence and we were screaming for her to stop... She turned and ran head on into the loading dock and flipped over the bars onto the dock and wasn't hurt... She said that she thought if she let off the throttle that it would stop.... If it was @Dark-Fx Livewire, then I guess it would have.... She was always ahead of her time...
I'm not totally sold on it. It's definitely more effort to hold my wrist in the same position all the time than my foot. The bike does have cruise control, but most of my riding is between stop signs, so I don't get much of a chance to use it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Agree with all the statements above. It’s awesome once you get used to it but you also have to get used to it in your particular EV. You in time will get to the point GM where ya can feather off the accelerator to slow down when needed and never break, even to the point where at times you know when to fully let of to come to that perfect stop where it will hold. Most days you will not even use your actual brake pedal.
100% on the "get used to it in your particular EV" when I go from the Bolt, to the Hummer, to my wife's Mach-e I'm a mess for the first couple of stops until I remember which vehicle I'm in.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,096 Posts
100% on the "get used to it in your particular EV" when I go from the Bolt, to the Hummer, to my wife's Mach-e I'm a mess for the first couple of stops until I remember which vehicle I'm in.
I don't have an issue going from the R1T to the Polestar, but going from the Polestar to the R1T takes a bit to get used to it again.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah, its the same in ICE cars, worse in those even at first usually. I'd go from my F150 or so, then to your X3, and thought I'd brake slow but it slams on the brakes ha - some being so sensitive and others so much more dull. Worse if you go from an EV to an ICE at times when you first get going.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts