GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

One More Thing (Cybertruck)?

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom E-Tron 
#1 ·
Who here thinks Tesla is going to roll out the production representative Cybertruck at the Model S Plaid unveil tomorrow night?

Me! Me! Me!

I wonder how different it will be from the concept?

Will they try steel ball against the windows again?

#3 ·
I was just thinking with Ford getting all their F150 excitement, and Rivian on the verge of deliveries, and Tesla stock struggling to stay above $600, Tesla needs a "pick me up". I have been thinking about this for a while, hard to predict Tesla, but Musk is an egomaniac, and I am sure he wants to send Ford a reply to the Lightning. GM is also going to roll out the Silverado EV very soon (my guess is late July), so it's exciting times.

I think they will show the Cybertruck and maybe show it drag race a Ram TRX (blow away the Ram, of course) Maybe a live tug of war? That would be cool, actually!

A fully instrumented Ram TRX was spotted on Tesla's test track back in April, and they are having the event tomorrow on the test track... Hmmmm.. I mean Tesla would not be benchmarking the Ram TRX for anything else would they? And the TRX is the quickest pickup on the market today.

#4 ·
I watched the Cybertruck reveal event and it was embarrassing for Musk, IMO. For their sake, I hope they transition to a more conventional looking truck. If they do, I might actually consider it. Especially if they can meet the range estimates they have been claiming. One thing is for sure: they like to make a show, so whatever they do should be fun to watch!

#5 ·
Same here, I watched the Cybertruck reveal, it was a kind of surreal.. I was like is that really it? Nah! This must be a joke... Then the Windows broke, and you could tell Musk was fuming mad (embarrassed). The Cybertruck reveal really ended in an awkward way. The Model Y reveal was not great either, the last good reveal for Tesla was back in 2017 the Semi and Roadster.

#11 ·
Exactly what I have been saying all along. Tesla originally said the PLAID would have 520 miles+ range when they announced it on Battery day, then they created this new PLAID, and PLAID + later, then cancelled the PLAID +.

I expect to see Cybertruck delayed, or a major spec change like the PLAID. Elon will say people do not need the 500+ mile range... haha!

#12 ·
Interesting to hear from Elon that the cybertruck will now have four wheel steering! I wonder where he got that idea? That does take away one competitive advantage of the Hummer though. I doubt it will be standard, so we will have to see how much they charge for it. In the end by the time you try and compare like truck to like truck, I would see the Cybertruck approaching Hummer prices. And I still don’t see how the Tesla will come out on time.

#13 ·
Haha, Tesla fans said 4 wheel steer is a gimmick when introduced on the Hummer Ev, and wow has their tune changed today... Cybertruck is long wheelbase and needs 4 wheel steer, one more thing hidden in Elon's tweet i have not seen discussed, he said Cybertruck will be almost exactly "what was shown", well, that means body on tube frame, and a model X 100 kWh battery pack. The Cybertruck concept has less than 300 miles of range, and was quite heavy.

I think Tesla's 4680 batteries are a bust for now, likely 1-2 years out for volume production. @MojoMonkey prediction of Cybertruck's rolling out on July 4th seems to have failed (like I tried to tell him 8 months ago) Tesla tried to bite off more then they could chew, just like on the Semi, Berlin factory, Austin factory, and FSD. Tesla swings for the fences, trying to hit a 5 run home run with nobody on base, and ends up rolling over on a ground ball to the shortstop. Sorry, its baseball season. Hoping to have my Hummer Ev for the World Series.

#14 ·
One thing that now seems a little unclear to me. The aforementioned tweet was:

“We’re adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns and maneuver with high agility.”

Some other forums make that out like it will come out when the truck is coming out. I read it as they are still working on that part of the design and it could be in a later model year - because he uses “adding” rather than “added”. Maybe I am just reading to much into verb tense though, but you would think it would be finalized by now if it’s to be sold by the end of the year?

#15 ·
As I understand they are still working on the final design, and they have not built any engineering prototypes and have not even started a test program yet, Tesla has a long way to go. No 4680 cells, no final Cybertruck design, and no test program, those waiting for Cybertruck are going to be waiting a while IMO. Now it looks like the 18650 program on the PLAID S has problems, already one burned down, an another customer reported a battery failure they they have only been out a couple weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.