GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum guys! Nice to see some new faces!

@evtrail what stands out to you about the Hummer vs the R1T and vice-versa?

@ShouldIHumev22 Have you been looking at any other EVs aside from the Hummer SUV?
Yes, I am interested in the Audi Q4 EV. Obviously a lot smaller but the reviews overseas rave about it. A couple years ago I thought I was interested in the Mercedes EQS SUV until they axed it in the US! No clue why they did that but have no desire to drive a car. Also test drove the model X a while back and really liked it, but the new slightly redesigned is delayed. Being an Audi guy I feel like there may be a Q8 all electric right around corner. The Escalade is a great looking vehicle as well that I would consider if they came out with an all-electric. Supposedly the HummerEV will weigh around 9K lbs, so I can't imagine the Escalade would come in too much heavier. Just way too much coming down the pipe... at the end of the day it doesn't matter what range the EV gets, it's more about where is the next charging station!

·
Registered
29 Posts
@evtrail what stands out to you about the Hummer vs the R1T and vice-versa?
Well, disclaimer: some of those are subjctives, for example, the look: I give the win to the Hummer. But a lot of others are objectives:
  • Infotainment: Rivian doesn't support carplay, android auto, Sirius, only their stack, with a membership for LTE based on ATT. That may not work for everyone. But Hummer has weird glitches, for example, the camera position on the screen, a lot of white areas not used it was looking pretty unfinished. I think both of those problems can be solved by OTAs but now will GM or Rivian fix it? Unknown. This is not ideal to make purchase decisions
  • Weight, Rivian win
  • Wading depth, Rivian
  • Approach, departure angles: Hummer
  • Spare tire: Rivian has a nice hidden full-size spare
  • Rivian is packed with an ARB compressor straight away which will be super useful. One can buy it for the Hummer, but those are already expensives vehicles. Not starting on the size it'll take in the bed of the hummer and the integration, where do we plug it? I haven't seen outlets in the bed. This brings me to the next point
  • Power outlet availabilities: One rear center console in the Rivian, one on each side in the gear tunnel, a few in the bed (I think 2). For the Hummer? I haven't seen anything, all photos of the bed I could find didn't have any. This is a solid oof if they don't add a few, those vehicles are literally big batteries, I want to be able to use it.
  • The 0-60 is not something I personally care, Rivian takes it but whatever, again for me.
  • Both have air canisters in the suspensions, which is great
  • Repair network & service: I expect Hummer to take it, they have a pre-existing network with GM. Rivian has to build it. Tesla owners waited months to get repairs when it started AFAIK. So better be careful with the toy first.
  • Warranty, Rivian takes it by far IIRC. But it could be a mistake they won't make again on their next vehicle if it ends up costing them too much?
  • Cameras: Hummer wins. Rivian doesn't have a single underbody camera. Which, from what I got from the people that tried the Hummer Ev pretty much reduces if not eliminates the need for a spotter on offroad terrains.

Could be other things, this is just from the top of my head. I wish I had way more info coming from GM to be able to really compare. At the moment, and with the info I have, it seems that Rivian is a smarter choice in terms of usability. But it could just be that it targets two different types of uses and population and I am not a good fit for Hummer? I don't know. I really wish it works though, like I said, it looks sick and I want to drive it.

·
Registered
04' HUMMER H2
66 Posts
Yes, I am interested in the Audi Q4 EV. Obviously a lot smaller but the reviews overseas rave about it. A couple years ago I thought I was interested in the Mercedes EQS SUV until they axed it in the US! No clue why they did that but have no desire to drive a car. Also test drove the model X a while back and really liked it, but the new slightly redesigned is delayed. Being an Audi guy I feel like there may be a Q8 all electric right around corner. The Escalade is a great looking vehicle as well that I would consider if they came out with an all-electric. Supposedly the HummerEV will weigh around 9K lbs, so I can't imagine the Escalade would come in too much heavier. Just way too much coming down the pipe... at the end of the day it doesn't matter what range the EV gets, it's more about where is the next charging station!
Did you get a chance to check out the e-tron SUV currently being sold?
I hear a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get a chance to check out the e-tron SUV currently being sold?
I hear a lot of good things about them.
I test drove the 2019 eTron. Nice, but pretty bad range at 205. I think the new model 2021 was upgraded to a whopping 225? I mean, I love the instant gratification of instant torque but I want to be able to make it a vacation destination comfortably...
Although, if anyone on here has or had one I would like to hear your opinion.

·
Administrator
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
41 - 50 of 50 Posts