GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Hi Guys,

joined the board to discuss and get info on the Hummer Ev that I could have missed on the net. Currently trying to decide between the Ev and the Rivian R1T. Depending on which company will release more (solid) info, it'll skew my decision in one way or the other. Honestly, both vehicle seems very promising. Looking forward to exchanging more with the members.

Thanks!

· Registered
29 Posts
@evtrail what stands out to you about the Hummer vs the R1T and vice-versa?
Well, disclaimer: some of those are subjctives, for example, the look: I give the win to the Hummer. But a lot of others are objectives:
  • Infotainment: Rivian doesn't support carplay, android auto, Sirius, only their stack, with a membership for LTE based on ATT. That may not work for everyone. But Hummer has weird glitches, for example, the camera position on the screen, a lot of white areas not used it was looking pretty unfinished. I think both of those problems can be solved by OTAs but now will GM or Rivian fix it? Unknown. This is not ideal to make purchase decisions
  • Weight, Rivian win
  • Wading depth, Rivian
  • Approach, departure angles: Hummer
  • Spare tire: Rivian has a nice hidden full-size spare
  • Rivian is packed with an ARB compressor straight away which will be super useful. One can buy it for the Hummer, but those are already expensives vehicles. Not starting on the size it'll take in the bed of the hummer and the integration, where do we plug it? I haven't seen outlets in the bed. This brings me to the next point
  • Power outlet availabilities: One rear center console in the Rivian, one on each side in the gear tunnel, a few in the bed (I think 2). For the Hummer? I haven't seen anything, all photos of the bed I could find didn't have any. This is a solid oof if they don't add a few, those vehicles are literally big batteries, I want to be able to use it.
  • The 0-60 is not something I personally care, Rivian takes it but whatever, again for me.
  • Both have air canisters in the suspensions, which is great
  • Repair network & service: I expect Hummer to take it, they have a pre-existing network with GM. Rivian has to build it. Tesla owners waited months to get repairs when it started AFAIK. So better be careful with the toy first.
  • Warranty, Rivian takes it by far IIRC. But it could be a mistake they won't make again on their next vehicle if it ends up costing them too much?
  • Cameras: Hummer wins. Rivian doesn't have a single underbody camera. Which, from what I got from the people that tried the Hummer Ev pretty much reduces if not eliminates the need for a spotter on offroad terrains.

Could be other things, this is just from the top of my head. I wish I had way more info coming from GM to be able to really compare. At the moment, and with the info I have, it seems that Rivian is a smarter choice in terms of usability. But it could just be that it targets two different types of uses and population and I am not a good fit for Hummer? I don't know. I really wish it works though, like I said, it looks sick and I want to drive it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts