GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably an odd question, but many of you here already own EV's so maybe you can answer it for me. My neighbor has a Lexus battery/electric hybrid and when he is driving in or out of the neighborhood and it is running on electricity, it make a very audible whine. It is actually much louder when the ICE engine is running vs the electric motor. But I do not recall fully electric cars being loud like that... Any explanation? I think that I read from the reviews here that the Hummer is actually fairly quiet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think I saw somewhere that there is an audible noise transmitted out of the Hummer up to 25mph. I know it is a requirement for EVs in Europe to help people, especially thought with sight impairment, know that an electric car is driving nearby.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
718 Posts
The laws have gotten stricter over time and newer cars have to be louder, as compared to older ones. My Mach E (2021) is louder than my Bolt (2017) and also beeps when it is in reverse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got my first EV in November, a 2021 Mache E, and I hate the fake noise. I covered the speaker with cardboard but it is still too loud. I am planning to put a volume control on the speaker so I can turn it off, or lower the volume when I want. It will probably be off most of the time.

I bet the Hummer will be just as easy to modify. It is just a speaker. If you don't like it, replace the speaker with a resistor, cover it with cardboard, or put a volume control on it like I am going to do. You can't cut the wire to the speaker because then you get an error about the speaker being disconnected.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,330 Posts
I got my first EV in November, a 2021 Mache E, and I hate the fake noise. I covered the speaker with cardboard but it is still too loud. I am planning to put a volume control on the speaker so I can turn it off, or lower the volume when I want. It will probably be off most of the time.

I bet the Hummer will be just as easy to modify. It is just a speaker. If you don't like it, replace the speaker with a resistor, cover it with cardboard, or put a volume control on it like I am going to do. You can't cut the wire to the speaker because then you get an error about the speaker being disconnected.
It's a simple fuse in the fuse block... no need to do any wire edits....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.