GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive exterior Font Rim

Last month was the best production month GM has had for the Hummer.

During November 2022, GM built 1,455 Hummer EV pickups at the Factory Zero Plant. Around 29% of all Hummer pickups produced so far.

During November 2022, GM built 1,455 units of the 2022 Hummer EV Pickup at its GM Factory Zero plant in Michigan. This represents almost 29 percent of all GMC Hummer EV Pickup production thus far. When including the 140 units built during the 2021 calendar year, total production of the all-electric supertruck amounts to 5,030 copies as of November 30th.

GM Ultium EV Production

GMC Hummer EV PickupCadillac Lyriq
Oct 202115-
Nov 202175-
Dec 202150-
Jan 2022250-
Feb 2022210-
Mar 202225020
Apr 202227550
May 202240050
June 202212580
July 202250250
August 2022120265
September 20227501,000
October 20221,0052,000
November 20221,4552,477
Total5,0306192

· Registered
468 Posts
And I guess that they are all stuck in the stop sale... But if they were doing 2500 ED1's and then dealer demos.... It seems like 5000 is more than both of those #'s and that they should be ready to open up the EV3 production, but still no configurator...

· Registered
370 Posts
Nice to see. My question with these numbers is always...but where are they? I think the highest VIN number sold that I've seen was barely over 1000, and they hadn't delivered all of the VINs below 1000 at the time. All of their test/crash and some press units were built before Oct 2021, so if most of these are customer cars...where are they keeping ~4k unsold Hummer EV Ed1s? (because they haven't taken 3X orders) Now, if you said 4k chassis had BEGUN production and had VINs assigned, then that's easy to wrap my head around. But given all the evidence to the contrary, they must have an abandoned warehouse or parking lot FULL of completed Ed1s sitting around because they don't have customer orders to build any past that.

How firm is the 1200 number for Ed1 pickups? Because that chart specifically says "Pickup" so these numbers don't include any SUVs. So, just doing the math. 1200 Ed1 pickups and somewhere between 837 and 1674 Dealer demos (GMC said half of their dealerships had committed to sell the Hummer EV in 2020, probably more now). If every GMC dealer had upgraded to sell the Hummer EV (which they haven't) that's 2874 Ed1 or Ed1 spec'd 3X demos. Where are the other 2156 trucks and how were they built? Just random 3X builds with no customers behind them? Do they need 2k+ EV2x/2 test vehicles? Double the number of cars they've sold? Again, their numbers say they've built 4 Hummer EVs for every 1 they've sold...why? And if they're building them so fast, why do some Ed1 reservation holders now have Spring/Summer estimates? Things just aren't adding up. They "built" 500 more in November than October and they weren't even open the whole month. If these numbers were true the estimates on their email shouldn't be as bad as we've been getting.

They built more than enough Hummers in November to satisfy the known number of Ed1 reservations...so why isn't every Ed1 reservation either delivered or sitting at a dealership waiting for the stop-sale to end? They could have built 0 Hummer EVs before Nov 1st, 2022 and they'd still have built enough to satisfy Ed1 preorders...but they haven't. There dissonance between what they're saying is happening and what we're seeing happen.

It's just frustrating when they report they're making thousands a month (when they haven't delivered a thousand in a year) and almost everyone here is like
Face Outerwear Arm Eye Dress shirt

· Registered
370 Posts
I'm guessing they have been producing 3X in various colors with the 3X Launch package. Basically every option on top of that package appears to be LPO.
But if that's what's happening and the earliest 3X deliveries are Summer/Fall 2023, that would mean its going to take 9+ months to deliver a "take it or leave it options/color-wise" truck they built over a month ago.

Free of context or knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes you could tell me they're building them for practice and there would at least be a reason it doesn't feel like progress is being made. If they were building thousands a month and we saw multiple posts a week about new deliveries I wouldn't think anything of it. But the idea that they're full steam ahead with random colors of loaded 3X's and are sending emails that those trucks won't be in most customer hands for nearly a year makes my brain hurt. In that scenario, there'd be nothing stopping them from beginning to distribute 3Xs with the corrected battery pack seals right now, because the stop-sale shouldn't apply to the hundreds/thousands of trucks rolling off the line in Oct/Nov. with properly sealed packs. It would also be weird if they're just stockpiling 1500+ 3X trucks a month for the next 9 months before delivering them. Either they went WAYYYYY pessimistic with the estimates in those emails or something funky is going on. Because by late March 2023, they'd have 5000+ unallocated 3X trucks sitting somewhere while they're still trying to finish the first 1200 Ed1 deliveries.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,225 Posts
There are 7 color options and two interior color options. 14 different potential configurations. There is probably a reason they haven't lifted the stop sale that they aren't going to communicate. I don't think there is any risk whatsoever that they are going to end up making a truck they can't sell immediately.

· Registered
370 Posts
If the pause at the end of November continued through December then production will obviously drop to zero for December, but if they start back right where they stopped, we're looking at 1500+ a month, minimum. Lets be generous and say they might even get to 2k/month by February. So they've got 4k built but not sold trucks just sitting right now. By July 1st, you're talking 13-16k trucks and SUVs parked in a lot for months. Once you're out of Ed1 territory your reservation conversion rate is going to decline some. Ford thought they'd hold at 80% but after 6 months it was more like 47%. Lets say Hummer ends up being somewhere between 50-80% for the 90k reservations they have. That means at their current rate, by mid-2023, they'll have built somewhere between 1/3rd and 1/5th of their reservations...and (according to their emails) won't start allocating them until Fall '23 at the earliest. If the final conversion rate is more like 50%, then you've built half your reservations by this time next year, which would be great.

But let's summarize with the most pessimistic production numbers and most optimistic/realistic conversion rate. 80% conversion averaged over the 90k reservations would mean 72k Trucks and SUVs. 1500/month means by the end of 2023, they'll have made over 23k Trucks and SUVs at minimum assuming no regression in production So even being very negative, they will be able to satisfy 1/3rd of the reservations by Dec. 2023. Possibly closer to half if they get up to 3k/month or higher. Unless deliveries increase, they'll need thousands of extra parking spaces every month for Hummers that their emails say won't be delivered for 6+ months. Production is also increasing WAY more than their logistics/delivery rate. By the time the stop-sale hit, trucks were rolling out of the factory nearly 10x faster than they were rolling onto transports. It just doesn't make sense.

TL;DR They're making trucks faster than their emails would indicate and are accumulating parked Hummers at a rate I would think untenable (going to have a lot more 12v issues without a lot of battery tenders and thousands of extension cords, I'm being facetious). Making 4 Hummers for every 1 you sell is likely not something you can or want to keep doing for a year.

I hope they just gave everyone a horribly pessimistic delivery estimate and are hoping to garner some goodwill by beating those expectations (give estimates twice as long as you know it will take and you'll come out a hero every time) because with production numbers like the past two months, they should be able to at least fulfill any reservation made in 2020 by the end of '23.

· Registered
9 Posts
Just some more info. The Hummer is not for the USA only. Here in Canada the reservation process is different for the pickup. We had to order the Hummer through the dealer out of their allocation. My Dealer, who is a small town dealership has 5 pickup allocations for 2023. I would think that the large dealerships in major cities would have much more. We have around 500 GMC dealerships in Canada. This is only for the pickup. The SUV process was similar to the USA, where we booked online through GM Canada.

· Registered
370 Posts
Making 1500 a month should have allowed them to blow through any outstanding Ed1 orders for Canada and all dealer demos for the US and Canada. Basically the production numbers they're reporting would indicate 3X deliveries would be right on time (Fall '22), but they aren't. It's weird. They have produced and have the capacity to produce everything pre-3X they need to but they're still saying 6+ months for the earliest 3X deliveries.

· Registered
370 Posts
Gotcha. Point being 5000 built trucks is enough to satisfy all their Ed1s, dealer demos, and things like early Canadian 3Xs built like Ed1s...but it apparently isn't enough to begin US 3X deliveries until after the Ed1 SUV launches mid-2023. Just curious what they're going to do with the 10k+ trucks built between now and then. If production continues to accelerate, and their deliveries don't it's going to get even uglier. They're already sitting on $400mil in unsold Hummer inventory, by July that's going to be well over a billion unless they get their logistics sorted out.

· Registered
608 Posts
At this point showing these numbers is just like putting salt on an open wound. They have botched this roll out big time. People that got their truck reservations in months before the SUV launch will see their trucks 9(ish) months after the SUV person ordered. Timelines of everything are WAY off and even the emails we all got with new estimates are vague. Based on GMs history if they say Fall 2024 to 10,000 people but they manage to get ONE single hummer out the day before winter officially starts they’ll say they succeeded, and then the 9,999 others are still waiting.

· Registered
608 Posts
There is definitely so much GM is hiding here. Based on these numbers all edition 1’s and demo’s should be done as you’ve said.

About 10 minutes ago I got a text from my dealer. They have my name on their demo unit because I was their first order when I reserved my 3X.He sent me a screenshot from his computer showing target production week 4/17/23. WHAT THE HECK???? What in the world are they building between now and then if they aren’t building 3X and they’ve already built 5000 trucks???

TELL US THE FRIKKIN TRUTH GM!!!!

· Registered
370 Posts
Occam's razor says they have a very BROAD definition of "built". (i.e. non-rolling chassis with a VIN on a pallet, a completed truck on a lot, and everything in-between) Explanations beyond that get real complicated.

How else do you explain only selling 782 of 2870 "built" trucks between Jan 1st and Sept 30th (we don't have figures for the two weeks before the stop-sale in October) unless "built" doesn't mean what everyone thinks of as "built" (in sellable condition). And it would explain why, even "building" 1500 trucks a month, they don't think they'll be able to start 3X deliveries for close to a year from now.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
There is definitely so much GM is hiding here. Based on these numbers all edition 1’s and demo’s should be done as you’ve said.

About 10 minutes ago I got a text from my dealer. They have my name on their demo unit because I was their first order when I reserved my 3X.He sent me a screenshot from his computer showing target production week 4/17/23. WHAT THE HECK???? What in the world are they building between now and then if they aren’t building 3X and they’ve already built 5000 trucks???

TELL US THE FRIKKIN TRUTH GM!!!!
View attachment 3801

Last month was the best production month GM has had for the Hummer.

During November 2022, GM built 1,455 Hummer EV pickups at the Factory Zero Plant. Around 29% of all Hummer pickups produced so far.

During November 2022, GM built 1,455 units of the 2022 Hummer EV Pickup at its GM Factory Zero plant in Michigan. This represents almost 29 percent of all GMC Hummer EV Pickup production thus far. When including the 140 units built during the 2021 calendar year, total production of the all-electric supertruck amounts to 5,030 copies as of November 30th.

GM Ultium EV Production

GMC Hummer EV PickupCadillac Lyriq
Oct 202115-
Nov 202175-
Dec 202150-
Jan 2022250-
Feb 2022210-
Mar 202225020
Apr 202227550
May 202240050
June 202212580
July 202250250
August 2022120265
September 20227501,000
October 20221,0052,000
November 20221,4552,477
Total5,0306192
Take everything from GM Authority with a grain of salt, but doubting GM has the capital to have thousands of vehicles sitting complete is naive, $400M for GM inventory is a drop in the bucket. At one point 6 month ago GM had over 100K vehicle built shy, 18K of them Escalades.

· Registered
370 Posts
Take everything from GM Authority with a grain of salt, but doubting GM has the capital to have thousands of vehicles sitting complete is naive, $400M for GM inventory is a drop in the bucket. At one point 6 month ago GM had over 100K vehicle built shy, 18K of them Escalades.
I'm not saying they don't, I'm saying they don't have a reason to let legitimately COMPLETED/built trucks sit in a lot...so they probably aren't complete. They're just playing a game of semantics. i.e. The simplest answer is they they're calling incomplete trucks "built" even if they may not be in a sellable state for months. Making any production number reports worthless as a practical matter. They had nearly 3k trucks "built" according to their numbers by the end of September and had only sold 782 and that's not because they just didn't want to sell them, they weren't ready to sell, otherwise they would have been on trucks or in buyers' driveways.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
I'm not saying they don't, I'm saying they don't have a reason to let legitimately COMPLETED/built trucks sit in a lot...so they probably aren't complete. They're just playing a game of semantics. i.e. The simplest answer is they they're calling incomplete trucks "built" even if they may not be in a sellable state for months. Making any production number reports worthless as a practical matter.
GM did not report them as complete, that would be GM authority claim, GM calls this "Built-Shy" internally. Quite likely these are built and parked somewhere, as the numbers make sense. As for all the Hummer delivery delays into 2023, 2024 I think the SilveradoE is going to take battery priority at its production ramps up. I forgot to mention, BrightDrop is also in production now, and chewing up battery supply as well

· Registered
6 Posts
I see several people reference receiving an email. I didn’t receive any email from GM about an estimated delivery date.

I reserved a 3x March of 21. Where do you all think I’m at on the list? Concierge was not helpful at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts