GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So here's all the important information I gathered from the Investor's Presentation today on GM EVs. I saw @BahamaTodd and @Tom E-Tron had already posted on the first shots of the Hummer EV SUV (awesome!), so I'll add some other details here:

• Hummer EV SUT
    • Reservations “greatly exceeded expectations”
    • Production moved up earlier than the expected Fall 2021 - no date specified
  • Cadillac
    • Lyriq: Production moved up by 9 months to Q1 2022
    • 4 other vehicles moved ahead as well
    • Vehicles:
      • Lyriq Mid-size Crossover
      • Celestiq Full-size Luxury Sedan
      • Full-size SUV
      • 2 Crossovers
        • 1 compact
        • 1 Three-row
      • “Low-roof Entries”
  • GMC
    • 4 vehicles (!!!) moved ahead
    • This includes another pickup, moved up by 40 months
    • Vehicles:
      • Hummer EV SUT
      • Hummer EV SUV
      • Full-size Pickup
      • One unspecified vehicle
  • Chevrolet
    • 4 vehicles pulled ahead, including a pickup truck by 11 months and a compact crossover by 21 months
    • Vehicles:
      • Bolt EV
      • Bolt EUV
      • Full-size Pickup
      • At least 2 Crossovers
        • 1 Mid-size
        • 1 Compact
      • “Low-roof Entries”
  • Buick
    • 2 vehicles are coming, not moved up (both crossovers)

• By 2025, up to 40% of GM vehicle offerings will be EVs
  • Max range moved up from 400 miles to 450 miles for Ultium Battery
  • Next-gen Ultium packs already being developed, coming mid-2020’s
  • 22 models will have SuperCruise by 2023

Most interesting to me were how far things have moved up, especially with the Lyriq and Hummer EV. Also, how does GMC have 4 vehicles moved ahead?? They used to only have 2 confirmed for production! Looks like we're getting an electric Sierra, which wasn't even a thing until today.

I expect the Hummer EV SUV to be way ahead of schedule, as well as the Cadillac Celestiq and "Escalade EV." Also, 450 miles of max range means the Hummer Edition One will likely have over 400 miles of range!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys,

So here's all the important information I gathered from the Investor's Presentation today on GM EVs. I saw @BahamaTodd and @Tom E-Tron had already posted on the first shots of the Hummer EV SUV (awesome!), so I'll add some other details here:

• Hummer EV SUT
    • Reservations “greatly exceeded expectations”
    • Production moved up earlier than the expected Fall 2021 - no date specified
  • Cadillac
    • Lyriq: Production moved up by 9 months to Q1 2022
    • 4 other vehicles moved ahead as well
    • Vehicles:
      • Lyriq Mid-size Crossover
      • Celestiq Full-size Luxury Sedan
      • Full-size SUV
      • 2 Crossovers
        • 1 compact
        • 1 Three-row
      • “Low-roof Entries”
  • GMC
    • 4 vehicles (!!!) moved ahead
    • This includes another pickup, moved up by 40 months
    • Vehicles:
      • Hummer EV SUT
      • Hummer EV SUV
      • Full-size Pickup
      • One unspecified vehicle
  • Chevrolet
    • 4 vehicles pulled ahead, including a pickup truck by 11 months and a compact crossover by 21 months
    • Vehicles:
      • Bolt EV
      • Bolt EUV
      • Full-size Pickup
      • At least 2 Crossovers
        • 1 Mid-size
        • 1 Compact
      • “Low-roof Entries”
  • Buick
    • 2 vehicles are coming, not moved up (both crossovers)

• By 2025, up to 40% of GM vehicle offerings will be EVs
  • Max range moved up from 400 miles to 450 miles for Ultium Battery
  • Next-gen Ultium packs already being developed, coming mid-2020’s
  • 22 models will have SuperCruise by 2023

Most interesting to me were how far things have moved up, especially with the Lyriq and Hummer EV. Also, how does GMC have 4 vehicles moved ahead?? They used to only have 2 confirmed for production! Looks like we're getting an electric Sierra, which wasn't even a thing until today.

I expect the Hummer EV SUV to be way ahead of schedule, as well as the Cadillac Celestiq and "Escalade EV." Also, 450 miles of max range means the Hummer Edition One will likely have over 400 miles of range!
I have been thinking about what all of this means... 2 weeks ago GM announced they are resetting the Oshawa factory in Canada to build trucks, and now the pull ahead on Chevy and GMC EV pickups, do any of you think the announcements were related? Oshawa will be ready to go in Spring 2022, are they planning to build the EV pickups there instead of Factory Zero? Autoline speculated on this, but I blew it off as not likely. My original thought was GM would launch the mid cycle refreshed Silverado and Sierra at Oshawa to add volume while Ft Wayne and Silao Mexico plants change over. Actually the refresh is extensive for plants to do on the fly, and likely will need some tooling time (new front end, new interior and complete new electrical system) Hmm...

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been thinking about what all of this means... 2 weeks ago GM announced they are resetting the Oshawa factory in Canada to build trucks, and now the pull ahead on Chevy and GMC EV pickups, do any of you think the announcements were related? Oshawa will be ready to go in Spring 2022, are they planning to build the EV pickups there instead of Factory Zero? Autoline speculated on this, but I blew it off as not likely. My original thought was GM would launch the mid cycle refreshed Silverado and Sierra at Oshawa to add volume while Ft Wayne and Silao Mexico plants change over. Actually the refresh is extensive for plants to do on the fly, and likely will need some tooling time (new front end, new interior and complete new electrical system) Hmm...
That's an interesting thought, Tom. This is where I come out on it:

- If GM is building electric trucks at Oshawa, it definitely will NOT be at the expense of the Detroit-Hamtramck (Factory ZERO) plant. The GM-UAW agreement explicitly had all GM BT1 trucks and SUV's going there...that means the Hummer SUT and SUV, the "Silverado EV," the "Sierra EV," the "Escalade EV," and all and any later full-size SUV's or trucks. They couldn't justify an entirely redone factory for a low-volume vehicle like the Hummer twins and the Cruise Origin.

- So GM may be building some electric trucks in Oshawa, but if that happens, it likely won't be for a while. It'll depend almost entirely on if Factory ZERO can't keep up with demand. Oshawa would be the next logical place to build them...could happen if we end up getting electric Yukons and Tahoes to go with that Escalade EV.

- I think GM genuinely wants to add ICE truck production to Oshawa, maybe even as they slowly pull truck production out of Silao. But this is too blurry to get a good read on now.

So I'm not entirely sure if Oshawa will get EV trucks and/or SUV's, but I think the possibility is there. If they need 5 factories in total for ICE trucks and full-size SUV's now (Arlington, Flint, Fort Wayne, Silao and Oshawa), chances are Factory ZERO won't be enough for electric versions down the line.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's an interesting thought, Tom. This is where I come out on it:

- If GM is building electric trucks at Oshawa, it definitely will NOT be at the expense of the Detroit-Hamtramck (Factory ZERO) plant. The GM-UAW agreement explicitly had all GM BT1 trucks and SUV's going there...that means the Hummer SUT and SUV, the "Silverado EV," the "Sierra EV," the "Escalade EV," and all and any later full-size SUV's or trucks. They couldn't justify an entirely redone factory for a low-volume vehicle like the Hummer twins and the Cruise Origin.

- So GM may be building some electric trucks in Oshawa, but if that happens, it likely won't be for a while. It'll depend almost entirely on if Factory ZERO can't keep up with demand. Oshawa would be the next logical place to build them...could happen if we end up getting electric Yukons and Tahoes to go with that Escalade EV.

- I think GM genuinely wants to add ICE truck production to Oshawa, maybe even as they slowly pull truck production out of Silao. But this is too blurry to get a good read on now.

So I'm not entirely sure if Oshawa will get EV trucks and/or SUV's, but I think the possibility is there. If they need 5 factories in total for ICE trucks and full-size SUV's now (Arlington, Flint, Fort Wayne, Silao and Oshawa), chances are Factory ZERO won't be enough for electric versions down the line.
Ya, I agree, my question really hinges on GM's EV plans, which we do not know. It totally makes sense that they want Oshawa to launch the refreshed ICE pickups, and when they add Supercruise to the pickups, and the new interior I think it will spur an upgrade supercycle of GM's high end truck customers. I just bought a 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali last summer, but if I had the option to get Supercruise I would upgrade immediately. Having had adaptive cruise control on our other vehicles that is a must have, if available.

On the large SUV's I do not think we will see more then the Hummer EV SUV for a few years because I am sure GM wants to let the new Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade eat for at least a couple years before introducing an EV vehicle that competes with those vehicles.

My guesses for EV production... It will be fun to see how this post ages...

Spring 2021 Bolt EV refresh
Summer 2021 Bolt EUV
Fall 2021 Hummer SUT
Spring 2022 Lyriq
Summer 2022 Hummer SUV
*Spring 2023 Chevy / GMC EV pickup
*Spring 2023 Chevy midsize EV Crossover (2 wheelbase length 2 row and 3 row???)
Spring 2024 Large EV SUV's

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I agree, my question really hinges on GM's EV plans, which we do not know. It totally makes sense that they want Oshawa to launch the refreshed ICE pickups, and when they add Supercruise to the pickups, and the new interior I think it will spur an upgrade supercycle of GM's high end truck customers. I just bought a 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali last summer, but if I had the option to get Supercruise I would upgrade immediately. Having had adaptive cruise control on our other vehicles that is a must have, if available.

On the large SUV's I do not think we will see more then the Hummer EV SUV for a few years because I am sure GM wants to let the new Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade eat for at least a couple years before introducing an EV vehicle that competes with those vehicles.
Great point on the SUVs. Makes total sense to me that GM will want to hold off on the big electric SUV production for a bit to allow their incredibly successful new full-size ICE SUVs to rack up sales. And as things stand, the only confirmed large electric SUVs coming are the Hummer SUV, the "Escalade EV" (even though it likely won't be called that), and a 3-row Cadillac crossover based off the BEV3 platform (replacing the XT6).

Also, how do you like the 2500 Denali?? The Denali vehicles have arguably been the best thing GM has done in the last 20-30 years, that line has developed such a loyal following. I'd argue that the Denali sub-brand has more brand cache right now than Cadillac does as a stand-alone. It's like a 5th brand for GM, with Hummer being the 6th. Denali buyers are statistically fiercely loyal, very well-educated and well off.

My guesses for EV production... It will be fun to see how this post ages...

Summer 2021 Bolt EUV
Fall 2021 Hummer SUT
Spring 2022 Lyriq
Summer 2022 Hummer SUV
*Spring 2023 Cadillac Celestiq
That seems like a great guess! Honestly it feels like it could pass as being a leaked GM document lol, makes a lot of sense. I just popped one extra thing in there for you, the vehicle I was/am most excited to see after the Hummer...the high-luxury, six-figure, hand-built Cadillac Celestiq full-size sedan.

Summer 2021 Bolt EUV
Fall 2021 Hummer SUT
Spring 2022 Lyriq
Summer 2022 Hummer SUV

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great point on the SUVs. Makes total sense to me that GM will want to hold off on the big electric SUV production for a bit to allow their incredibly successful new full-size ICE SUVs to rack up sales. And as things stand, the only confirmed large electric SUVs coming are the Hummer SUV, the "Escalade EV" (even though it likely won't be called that), and a 3-row Cadillac crossover based off the BEV3 platform (replacing the XT6).

Also, how do you like the 2500 Denali?? The Denali vehicles have arguably been the best thing GM has done in the last 20-30 years, that line has developed such a loyal following. I'd argue that the Denali sub-brand has more brand cache right now than Cadillac does as a stand-alone. It's like a 5th brand for GM, with Hummer being the 6th. Denali buyers are statistically fiercely loyal, very well-educated and well off.

That seems like a great guess! Honestly it feels like it could pass as being a leaked GM document lol, makes a lot of sense. I just popped one extra thing in there for you, the vehicle I was/am most excited to see after the Hummer...the high-luxury, six-figure, hand-built Cadillac Celestiq full-size sedan.

Summer 2021 Bolt EUV
Fall 2021 Hummer SUT
Spring 2022 Lyriq
Summer 2022 Hummer SUV
Defiantly like the new pickup, I had a 2011 (same spec) before with 200k miles and it was great too. The 10 speed trans in the new one is nice, and between the touchy throttle tip in and very low first gear ratio it almost feels like you are in low range around town, hard not to spin the tires on wet roads. The throttle is borderline too touchy, but I might feel that way, because the 2011 was not touchy at all on throttle tip in. The new truck is a much better tow vehicle, and I can tell the frame/body was greatly stiffened. I tow a 14k lb trailer often, and the new truck is much more stable with that load, the old one felt a bit overloaded.

Ya, no leaked documents to me, I have friends around Detroit inside of GM, and also in the tooling industry, but they do not tell me ANYTHING (wink wink).

In trucks and large SUV's I think GM can be a big player in EV

I am less excited about Lyriq and Celestiq. To be honest I think GM is missing an opportunity here with young tech savvy buyers who mostly look at specs. GM is stuck in the past where great design ruled, but the younger techie buyers could care less about great design (example 600k Cybertruck reservations) GM says they want to increase market share on the coasts, in the tech savvy regions, well they better look at what those people are buying now, and understand this buyer that looks at specs over design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts