GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about 32 degrees today where I live and I opened my motorized bed cover. When I started to shut it, it stopped about 1/3 closed. I really need to get it all the way closed.

I was thinking that maybe the cold has something to do with this as its been performing as it should.

-

My problem is I need it closed ASAP. Id like to save a trip to the dealership right now.

Is there a way to manually close the bed liner on my own?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the power tonneau does not operate, recalibrate the top by pressing the open/close buttons together for 10 seconds. Refer to Pickup Box Cover Package Installation, Calibration Procedure section in SI. If the top fails to calibrate then crawl inside the bed to the front and push in the release lever on the Tonneau motor unit. (Passenger side of vehicle white color -glow in the dark.) Top can then be opened manually. Once open, pull the lever back out to re-engage the motor. from: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210894-0001.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Jeremy!

You are the man! This is when I love the internet. I was able to get it closed with the little button. Push in, pull out, etc... I didnt even remember that was there.

Anyhow, the motor did not come back to life, but I am very happy that I was able to close and secure my bed again.

Thank you!
Happy to help! Did you happen to try holding both buttons down for 10 seconds? - That should trigger a recalibration. That fixed mine when it wouldn't close all the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's been in the mid 20s in Western WA for weeks and have the same issues multiple times but also issues during the summer. So don't know if its the temps or just a POS? Follow the recalibration steps with success however it continues to occasionally not open or close all the way. It has been frustrating for sure.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There were some people who got early ones that were having issues and I thought that they had a re-design or shim kit and most haven't said anything about issues... Now these 2 have come back up... I want to get the power cover when I get a chance to order, but I do not want to pay that much and be frustrated with it... I played with the one at my dealership and. Seemed to work nice...

·
Registered
571 Posts
There were some people who got early ones that were having issues and I thought that they had a re-design or shim kit and most haven't said anything about issues... Now these 2 have come back up... I want to get the power cover when I get a chance to order, but I do not want to pay that much and be frustrated with it... I played with the one at my dealership and. Seemed to work nice...
So far seems like a great concept but unfortunately poorly executed. I’m in the same boat…would love to have it but with some of the colder temps here in northern indiana I’m afraid it won’t work sometimes when I need it to most before a snow storm if I’ve got stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So far seems like a great concept but unfortunately poorly executed. I’m in the same boat…would love to have it but with some of the colder temps here in northern indiana I’m afraid it won’t work sometimes when I need it to most before a snow storm if I’ve got stuff in the bed.
Yes... Good news for me is that I am in SC and we really do not have much freezing weather, but we do go to my in-laws in the NC mountains and they do have some colder temps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kind of wish I could just manually open and close it and be able to lock it with out crawling into the bed and than back out the bed. It slides very smoothly by hand. The only pain is the button to lock it back in place. The look of this hard metal is soo nice. I am happy I got it even if its broken. I rarely open it, but do store a decent amount of gear depending on what I am getting into.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I kind of wish I could just manually open and close it and be able to lock it with out crawling into the bed and than back out the bed. It slides very smoothly by hand. The only pain is the button to lock it back in place. The look of this hard metal is soo nice. I am happy I got it even if its broken. I rarely open it, but do store a decent amount of gear depending on what I am getting into.
I'm definitely planning on just getting a manual Retrax cover for mine. Aluminum, dark bronze, pretty much exactly like the Hummer one that is OEM - but without the motor.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,102 Posts
Yes... Good news for me is that I am in SC and we really do not have much freezing weather, but we do go to my in-laws in the NC mountains and they do have some colder temps
I was able to keep recalibrating mine to get it to open and close. Weather changes made it seem like it was forgetting the calibration, but based on the "ECU" update above, it probably was because of that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hopefully they’ve made some improvements like you say. Still a few months til I see mine anyway as I have my name on the dealer demo unit but I know it will have the auto tonneau cover on it so hopefully all is good by then

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm definitely planning on just getting a manual Retrax cover for mine. Aluminum, dark bronze, pretty much exactly like the Hummer one that is OEM - but without the motor.

That would be a good route to go, but I do not see one for the Hummer... And my fear is that with the limited production as of yet, it may be quite a while before the aftermarket starts making things for the Hummer... I have thought about the Retrax and some of the other hard tops like the Backflip.... Maybe by the time my # comes up they will either have it figured out or other options besides the soft cover.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That would be a good route to go, but I do not see one for the Hummer... And my fear is that with the limited production as of yet, it may be quite a while before the aftermarket starts making things for the Hummer... I have thought about the Retrax and some of the other hard tops like the Backflip.... Maybe by the time my # comes up they will either have it figured out or other options besides the soft cover.
That is my hope too. With less than a ~1,000 out there in the world, I'm sure it is very rare for anyone in the after market to have seen one yet. I'm hedging my bets the same way you are, hopefully by the time my number is called they'll have something that works consistently OR good aftermarket options.

·
Registered
Waiting on my Spring 2022 Delivery ED1
268 Posts
That is my hope too. With less than a ~1,000 out there in the world, I'm sure it is very rare for anyone in the after market to have seen one yet. I'm hedging my bets the same way you are, hopefully by the time my number is called they'll have something that works consistently OR good aftermarket options.
Went with the factory option (or I should say optioned since I have no truck yet) since I also think there won't be many aftermarket options for a while. The GM version looks like it's probably made by Truck Hero, which is one of the biggest manufacturers (including ownership of Retrax), and they probably have an exclusivity agreement with Hummer to only provide through that channel for some period of time. https://truck-hero.com/brands Looks like it may be a Roll-N-Lock style cover to me, and TH also makes the Elevate rack they sell on the GMC accessory site.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For those that haven't ordered your HEV yet, I went with the soft roll tonneau and I'm happy with it. It's made of high quality material, seals pretty good, looks great. For as often as I need to roll it open it suits me well. Plus, it doesn't add 100+ lbs and potential problems with the mechanisms. I live in Michigan where we get snow, and I don't see how a power tonneau could not have issues!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had mine re-shimmed twice and it still fails everyday. I've had my truck in the shop for weeks at a time (with multiple shop dents to prove it) as techs scratch their heads over this tonneau going to "sleep" and needing to be reset every time it's been left alone for awhile. I also got the cargo management (interior cage) which has now made it impossible for me to toggle the manual switch without some sort of golf club I don't mind destroying. So now my tonneau is stuck shut with a short cage in the way, and Hummer still won't send a new unit until they figure out why the old unit is not working. I am in LOVE with this truck...But I darn near ripped the whole tonneau motor out to throw on the dealership lawn last time...In other news I have a power tonneau for sale for anyone who wants it:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts