GMC HUMMER EV Forum | HummerChat.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I recently watched Doug Demuro review the Lyriq - nice! The only thing at the moment is it's not AWD; next year for that... Congrats to you!
In Doug's review of the Lyriq its proof GM is damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they come out first with the fully optioned, and fully loaded model people bash GM for only bringing the expensive model first, but in the Lyriq case GM brings the base model to market first and Doug bashes it for lacking performance.

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt EV , Audi RS E-Tron GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Doug's review of the Lyriq its proof GM is damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they come out first with the fully optioned, and fully loaded model people bash GM for only bringing the expensive model first, but in the Lyriq case GM brings the base model to market first and Doug bashes it for lacking performance.
I convinced someone to get the Lyriq. He wanted the RWD so it worked out for him
ETA is March 2023.

He was getting a Q4 E-Tron, but after the drop of the $7500 rebate, it wasn't an option.
He test drove the Lyriq the other day and said the Lyriq is above and beyond the cars cars he drove. He was impressed by quality of the knobs, switches and most of all the ride quality.
When I asked his favorite on order:
1) Lyriq
2) Mach E
3) ID4
4) Model Y

When I see how much effort and details were put into the Lyriq, the car is a bargain for an EV IMO.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I convinced someone to get the Lyriq. He wanted the RWD so it worked out for him
ETA is March 2023.

He was getting a Q4 E-Tron, but after the drop of the $7500 rebate, it wasn't an option.
He test drove the Lyriq the other day and said the Lyriq is above and beyond the cars cars he drove. He was impressed by quality of the knobs, switches and most of all the ride quality.
When I asked his favorite on order:
1) Lyriq
2) Mach E
3) ID4
4) Model Y

When I see how much effort and details were put into the Lyriq, the car is a bargain for an EV IMO.
I like Lyriq in concept, but less so in practice. For me the styling is overdone inside and out (while utility is lacking), and while parts of the interior looks nice, I prefer the simplicity of my Model Y. Mach E, and ID4, are both outside the conversation, and not in the same EV level of refinement. ID4 turns sharp, but I find nothing redeeming about Mach E in the Model Y comparison, quite obviously the market agrees with me as Model Y outsells all the competitors combined, and is the only Tesla model that is truly supply constrained. Model Y is simply the best EV crossover on the market, and others at this point are pretenders, lacking in 1 metric or another. Model Y is the 1996 Yankees, and until someone beats Tesla, it will remain that way.

Lyriq is too heavy, hurts performance and efficiency, has too little utility (no frunk, and small car cargo area), styling is overdone, and GM EV technology is beta at best. GM has a long way to go to get into the Tesla conversation, Tesla has long range, reliable charging, amazing performance and handling for a CUV, best in class efficiency, best in class infotainment.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt, Voltech with 7.2 kW optional Charger
1,563 Posts
I like Lyriq in concept, but less so in practice. For me the styling is overdone inside and out (while utility is lacking), and while parts of the interior looks nice, I prefer the simplicity of my Model Y. Mach E, and ID4, are both outside the conversation, and not in the same EV level of refinement. ID4 turns sharp, but I find nothing redeeming about Mach E in the Model Y comparison, quite obviously the market agrees with me as Model Y outsells all the competitors combined, and is the only Tesla model that is truly supply constrained. Model Y is simply the best EV crossover on the market, and others at this point are pretenders, lacking in 1 metric or another. Model Y is the 1996 Yankees, and until someone beats Tesla, it will remain that way.

Lyriq is too heavy, hurts performance and efficiency, has too little utility (no frunk, and small car cargo area), styling is overdone, and GM EV technology is beta at best. GM has a long way to go to get into the Tesla conversation, Tesla has long range, reliable charging, amazing performance and handling for a CUV, best in class efficiency, best in class infotainment.
Model Y is bland and unremarkable to me... I never liked its' look or interior. I also never liked the iPad stuck on screens either.

The Tesla design is getting way to long in tooth. They need a refresh.

Tesla even has a great building block for that in the design of the new Tesla Roadster. Taking design elements from that would do wonders.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone in Socal should visit the Americana in Glendale to take a test drive.
It's open till December

The ride is smooth, build quality is right, materials are high quality. Door lever in the interior is solid aluminium. Fake leather which I didn't care much for, it's not fast and isn't supposed to be. Launch is very linear and increases after 50mph, not that kick in the back of the head from even a Bolt.

GM knows thier target demo and this fits the bill.
If I don't end up getting a Hummer SUV, this would be a contender.
As a second EV GMs product line looks to be the list.

Laptop Hood Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design

Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Model Y is bland and unremarkable to me... I never liked its' look or interior. I also never liked the iPad stuck on screens either.

The Tesla design is getting way to long in tooth. They need a refresh.

Tesla even has a great building block for that in the design of the new Tesla Roadster. Taking design elements from that would do wonders.
Tesla design is boring, and minimalistic, but it works, and is purposeful. Aerodynamic, light weight, and gives you a large and very usable screen, not just for driving, but playing games, watching a movie, web browser, etc. The people who bash Tesla's screen, have not owned one, and when you drive a Tesla Y compared to Lyriq, Y feel light on its feet, sporty, and unbelievably responsive (chassis, and powertrain), Lyriq more like an old boat, heavy and lumbering, more like Audi E-Tron, but not with the quality feel E-Tron has. You cannot hide the weight when it comes to driving dynamics. Drive a Y on the same day you drive a Lyriq, and it will really open your eyes on how much better Tesla's chassis dynamics really are. My only complaint is Tesls's suspension is too harsh on bumps, but a set of new coil overs fixes that.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Tesla design is boring, and minimalistic, but it works, and is purposeful. Aerodynamic, light weight, and gives you a large and very usable screen, not just for driving, but playing games, watching a movie, web browser, etc. The people who bash Tesla's screen, have not owned one, and when you drive a Tesla Y compared to Lyriq, Y feel light on its feet, sporty, and unbelievably responsive (chassis, and powertrain), Lyriq more like an old boat, heavy and lumbering, more like Audi E-Tron, but not with the quality feel E-Tron has. You cannot hide the weight when it comes to driving dynamics. Drive a Y on the same day you drive a Lyriq, and it will really open your eyes on how much better Tesla's chassis dynamics really are. My only complaint is Tesls's suspension is too harsh on bumps, but a set of new coil overs fixes that.
I've seen videos who have driven a Y and the Lyriq and they understand the difference in feel of the vehicles and appreciated the Lyriq. The Lyriq isn't trying to be Sporty it's design is to be comfortable and confident on the road. The Lyriq is only a few hundred pounds heavier than the X.

The people who bash Tesla's screen, have not owned one,
I know how useful the screen CAN be but it's still an ugly tacked on screen.
I don't care what it can do, it's still not pleasing.

I'll say the same for the Lightning's and Mach-E's screens as well.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Anyone in Socal should visit the Americana in Glendale to take a test drive.
It's open till December

The ride is smooth, build quality is right, materials are high quality. Door lever in the interior is solid aluminium. Fake leather which I didn't care much for, it's not fast and isn't supposed to be. Launch is very linear and increases after 50mph, not that kick in the back of the head from even a Bolt.

GM knows thier target demo and this fits the bill.
If I don't end up getting a Hummer SUV, this would be a contender.
As a second EV GMs product line looks to be the list.

View attachment 3367
View attachment 3368
View attachment 3369
View attachment 3370
View attachment 3365
View attachment 3366
View attachment 3363
View attachment 3364
View attachment 3362
Instead of all that "flash" I prefer an EV that just functions well, charges well, software that works, and driver assist that is reliable, in other words, Tesla... GM gets the "flash" stuff, but not the basic functionality, my Hummer is acting up again, and many functions not working as intended. Have not broke down yet is I guess 1 think to be thankful for. I am not trying another GM EV for a while...

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I've seen videos who have driven a Y and the Lyriq and they understand the difference in feel of the vehicles and appreciated the Lyriq. The Lyriq isn't trying to be Sporty it's design is to be comfortable and confident on the road. The Lyriq is only a few hundred pounds heavier than the X.

How about Silverado, Blazer and Equinox, also tacked on... but angled towards the driver so less useful for other passengers while stopped to charge or having a passenger punch in a destination while driving..

Vehicle Car Speedometer Gear shift Sky

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
How about Silverado, Blazer and Equinox, also tacked on... but angled towards the driver so less useful for other passengers while stopped to charge or having a passenger punch in a destination while driving..

View attachment 3375
That's angled toward the driver but it's not unusable by the passengers, passengers can still see the screen clearly and use its features. Also it's not a floating screen either... it's still functionality part of the dash and integrates with the rest of the design.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Buy Lyriq if you want lots of "lots of flash" but slow software, slow charging, lacking efficiency, lacking storage, drive quality of an old boat, and lots of trips to the dealer for repairs, and resale value that drops like a rock.

Buy Tesla if you want efficient, fast charging, massive charging network, reliable, massively better software, and great resale value. To each their own...

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
That's angled toward the driver but it's not unusable by the passengers, passengers can still see the screen clearly and use its features. Also it's not a floating screen either... it's still functionality part of the dash and integrates with the rest of the design.
Why tilt it towards the driver? There is no gain for the driver, and a loss for the other pax.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
GM has been using driver centric cockpit designs for a while. Screens and buttons are angled toward the driver for feel and ergonomics but are still usable by the passenger.
and before I owned a Tesla, I thought that would be better... but its not... I am not a Tesla fan boy, and have thrown plenty of shade their way, but some things they got right. I will go into more detail after I sell my Hummer, but lets just say my patience has run out.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Buy Lyriq if you want lots of "lots of flash" but slow software,
I've actually used the Lyriq software at the Detroit Auto show, it was smooth and easy to use, not slow.

slow charging lacking efficiency
190 kW is plenty fast and we still don't have any idea on its charging curve yet so we can't really comment fully until then. As for efficiency, great for the price and the multiple vehicles the motors will be used in.

lacking storage,
A Frunk isn't everything, and The Lyriq has a large underfloor well for storage that I don't think was ever factored into the rear storage numbers...

drive quality of an old boat
You haven't driven one either so you can't say that for sure.

and lots of trips to the dealer for repairs, and resale value that drops like a rock.
Conjecture

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I'm in the tech industry and maybe I'm weird. I use any screen for a few things only.
What song is playing, change my ride height, driving mode, on very few occasions navigation, how fast am I going and what's my miles per kWh

Everything is set and forget it.

Am I missing something on the importance of a infotainment screen?

Tesla makes the infotainment the focal point of the interior because everything else is as cheap as it gets.
I believe EQS did the same thing with the hyperscreen because the quality of the interior isn't there. Look at the bright lights and the materials.

I'm with you @Nebula1701 on the tablet screen and the cars you mentioned. To me a cheap way just to slap on a tablet.

As far as suspension and driving dynamics, the Lyriq is not supposed to be a sporty drive. It's supposed to a soft/ floaty drive.
Is the Ys suspension something high tech or expensive? The ride is terrible like the Bolt, but the Bolts price reflects the quality.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I've actually used the Lyriq software at the Detroit Auto show, it was smooth and easy to use, not slow.

190 kW is plenty fast and we still don't have any idea on its charging curve yet so we can't really comment fully until then. As for efficiency, great for the price and the multiple vehicles the motors will be used in.

A Frunk isn't everything, and The Lyriq has a large underfloor well for storage that I don't think was ever factored into the rear storage numbers...

You haven't driven one either so you can't say that for sure.

Conjecture
You have not owned a GM EV on Ultium, I have, I would say I am more well tuned to the highs and lows... Have you heard of anyone have 100% functionality all the time with their Hummer? Mine sure has not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts